My Hino Nightmare

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Picked up my truck the 4th time transfered all my junk, pallet, jack, hand cart, straps, load bars etc. Plus all the stuff from my cab. Drove my truck 7 miles and it starting loosing power and running rough again. So transfered all the stuff back to the rental unit.
Will they ever fix it?:(:mad:
I'm half tempted to ask leasing if they want to put me in another truck and let this one go.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Lemon laws apply to buying a vehicle, but it sounds like you are close to qualifying for something comparable. That's at least the angle I would take when addressing them about it. Your lease agreement is for a truck, not a loaner vehicle. Keep us posted.

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
'kota
Who's doing the work?

Is it a Hino dealer or the company that you are leasing from?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
It was in the shop on 4 occasions right when I got the truck due to the AC not working correctly. Finally found out it was not draining and it worked wonderfully. Other than that and a transmission sensor needing replaced it has done okay.
I'd have to look at my files but I have been in a lease replacement close to 2 month total time since my lease started in April.
I leased used, but if they'll let me I'd lease new.
Probably not a Hino, but Freightliner and International have there drawbacks too.

At least I don't have to pay for any repairs Thank God:cool:

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
It was in the shop on 4 occasions right when I got the truck due to the AC not working correctly. Finally found out it was not draining and it worked wonderfully. Other than that and a transmission sensor needing replaced it has done okay.
I'd have to look at my files but I have been in a lease replacement close to 2 month total time since my lease started in April.
I leased used, but if they'll let me I'd lease new.
Probably not a Hino, but Freightliner and International have there drawbacks too.

At least I don't have to pay for any repairs Thank God:cool:

Time to think about truck with sleeper, and NOT a Hino!!!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
'kota
Who's doing the work?

Is it a Hino dealer or the company that you are leasing from?

I take it to Penske and they take it over to The Hino dealer.
I believe it is under warranty til 200K (the engine at least)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
To be honest, with the way things are going, I don't think a sleeper would be a good investment as I am staying local most of the time. Ceva Expedite hasn't even called me in three weeks and I only ran for them twice last month. This is fine with me I am running local for Ceva and three other companies so I am busy busy busy
I would consider one of those extended cab freightliners or internationals
enough room for sleeping but no frills. for the occasion where I am OTR or just need a quick nap or have some wait time to get loaded or unloaded. I need at least 24 feet 26 is better, not sure you can get 26 with an extended cab.

I will say NO to another HiNO at least until they get their problems worked out. I like the slightly better mileage but not worth the headaches

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The company I worked for last year had a small fleet that they leased from Penske. Two straight trucks had coffin sleepers and two had walk-in sleepers put on by AA Sleepers of Fort Worth. 24 and 26 foot Freightliners. Pretty much anything the company needed Penske would set up.

eb

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
palmer lease also does set up trucks .... on leases ... they have a nice t300 80" sleeper in indy right now ready to go .. I used to drive it last year .. paccar engine 6spd .. pulled hills nicely would have been better with 8spd in it though....

the new engines are alot harder to work on than the older ones .. the merc in freightliner m-2's omg the egr from what I heard is a real pain to do .... no room to work on anythign on the engine

the company I am with has coffin trucks and a day cab(ext cab) truck........ with 26' boxes on them .... but the shorter heigth ones . wtf ....... 6" shorter than normal .. limits our loads sometimes "saved a bunch orderignt hem like that " I say it also screwed them

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the slightly better mileage but not worth the headaches

Slightly better than what? The Hino drivers that'll give me an actual answer say they get less than 10. Others don't give a number and will sometimes go into some kind of convoluted "explanation".

moose

Veteran Expediter
yes , i get 9 , with an automatic transmission -just like in a car , not automated .
i think with a stick and the right ratio you can get 10.5 .

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Went into Vomac(The Hino dealer here) today to talk to the Tech working on my truck. He was finally able to get the truck to do what it does, while in the shop and was able to run it through the computer
they replaced #1 and 6 injectors last time but they are still not running right. He showed me numbers on injectors(not sure what they meant) but he said ideally they should be at 0.00. 5 of the 6 injectors were over 5.60 only one was at .90
including the two they just replaced. He is baffled and was going to call Hino for assistance and also Penske. Never once had a check engine light. Might need a new engine, not sure. Penske tells me if this problem persists they may get me out of this truck, probably wouldn't be till April though. So I might be in the big yellow Penske truck for a while, which is fine with me at least it runs:)

Oh, when truck was running good, I averaged 9.5 with my automatic, so it is possible to get good mileage out of a Hino
Driving an International now(same driving style) and am getting about 7 to 7.5. Plus it feels much more powerful.
Both trucks are 26ft with an 8foot tall box on it, my truck is probably heavier since it has a ramp and a liftgate on it.
I believe the Hino is under warranty till 200K it has 194K on it so a new engine might be my future, unless Penske gives up on it and gets me into another truck. Most likely a Freightliner due to price
It's costing Penske because I am in a loaner so much, over two months total since April

We shall see.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
the new engines are alot harder to work on than the older ones .. the merc in freightliner m-2's omg the egr from what I heard is a real pain to do .... no room to work on anythign on the engine

I think Penske specs most of their class 6 frightliner trucks with the CAT engine

Last edited:

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
I thought cat pulled out of the truck market ? or do they still do mid size engines? I wonder if you have a wiring fault from crappy material used in the wires .. corroding from the inside. I think the .00 #'s are resistance in the injector the high resistance overheats the injector driver circuit and makes the ecm go to limp then kicks out totally.

I hope they get it fixed soon. have you missed out on any loads from not having the lift gate ?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe Cat & International are building over the road engines through International with Cat technical assistance. Cat is strictly building earth moving engines for themselves and possibly others.This Spring Ford introduces their own Diesel engine in the 2011 Super Duty's.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New Freightliner class 5 thru 7 will only be available with Cummins or Mercedes engines. Any Ftl's with Cat's are trucks already in inventory. Internationals will only be available with International engines (the current Maxforce 7 and DT).

Cat is finished with on highway engines in any region having emission limits that are as strict as we have now. The International Partnership is allowing International to brand some of their engines as "CAT" and to allow them to use the basic C-15 block (with Int heads and fuel sys) for their own 15 Liter engine if they ever get around to building it. The CAT branded engines are expected to appear in a revamped on/off highway line of trucks from International.

There is talk of Cummins ISX 15L engines being available in the interim for International class 8 trucks until the Int 15L is ready, but nothing firm yet.

Dakota, Penske will build you whatever you want as long as you are willing to pay for it. It has been my experience tho, that when you stray from the "standard" trucks with the leasing co's you pay dearly for it in your lease payment.

Last edited:

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
yeah that is what I was thinking .... and that soo sucks to have them bow out ... it just takes soo much r&d on these engines to get them to perfom with clean emissions .......it is just going to get rougher on trucks from here on .. ... I can't believe in some areas you can't find ultra low sulrur as of yet ! like san antonio ..... only small shell out by kw has it ( only place I know of and a few others I think) ..... pilot petro and ta don't ......(that is where I MISFUELED A 08' ) Talk about messed up, all big truck stops should be made to at least have two pumps for post 07' trucks
All the higher cost for diesels is doing is making people rebuild old engines and shove them in gliders ... therefore it costs alot less and less headaches like dakota is going through ...

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I thought cat pulled out of the truck market ? or do they still do mid size engines? I wonder if you have a wiring fault from crappy material used in the wires .. corroding from the inside. I think the .00 #'s are resistance in the injector the high resistance overheats the injector driver circuit and makes the ecm go to limp then kicks out totally.

I hope they get it fixed soon. have you missed out on any loads from not having the lift gate ?

I missed out on one local load, because Penske had no straight trucks, I settled for a cube van, actually worked out in my favor ran down to indy and then up to chicago saving a little money on gas. My loaner has the full size lift gate:) I don't mind being in a loaner, miss my CB a little
My truck is isn't that much different from the Penske Rental trucks, only real difference is a cloth drivers seat instead of vinyl
Otherwise it's really the same truck

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, Penske will build you whatever you want as long as you are willing to pay for it. It has been my experience tho, that when you stray from the "standard" trucks with the leasing co's you pay dearly for it in your lease payment.

Yeah, I knew this, my truck is an off the rack truck, spec'd just like their rental units. I leased it used to save money.
Next truck will have air ride rear suspension, power windows, door locks and two air ride seats not the air ride/bench combo
Otherwise just a pretty basic truck. I will check into gearing for more mileage on the highway
These trucks run nearly 2500rpm at 65