My Hino Nightmare

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
great to hear man .. hope you have many more trouble free miles out of it .... about time they got it right .. prob 8k later ..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did anyone ever fess up and tell you what the real problem was or are they just content that throwing 8 grand of parts at it has so far given you 800 trouble free miles and that's all they care about now.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Did anyone ever fess up and tell you what the real problem was or are they just content that throwing 8 grand of parts at it has so far given you 800 trouble free miles and that's all they care about now.

I really don't get much feedback on what they do to the truck, I usually have to ask and it's very vague info when I do get some. Was doing some year end paperwork and drove approx. 10K in lease replacement trucks and about 35K in my own truck, all of this since April

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually Dakota, Piper makes a very good point.

If they are vague about the solution to all of this after the lost time, I would tell the leasing rep that the lack of information isn't good enough and he has to do better than that. The lease doesn't mean that you are handed a POS truck which can't be used when you need it but one that has the dependability of the vehicle that is not questionable. Your reputation with your customer is what matters, not their inablity to deal with the problem.

As for the amount of money they dumped into the truck, if I was told that, I would have said "so, that's not my problem it's the company's problem" then told them to find you another truck.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I did ask for the past history of truck, Leasing rep stated that it never had required major work, just the normal little thing that happen with these trucks, and that is one reason they decided to lease it to my even with 164K on the clock.
Maybe it is a Hino issue, not a whole lot of history here in the US. Personally, I like my truck and am not dead set against another Hino in the future(you can call me crazy now) If my truck continues to run well I don't really have an issue. My truck is almost exactly like the rental truck fleet except for the cloth drivers seat, so driving a rental is not a big issue for me other then time and frusteration level. Next truck will have some extras to make life better!!!
I will be exploring all options next time including Paccar products, which I have never driven.
I've only driven Freightliner, International, Sterling, Ford, Chevy, and Hino straights

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Had the truck for a month and it has been running beautifully
until last week, the Allison transmission is slipping and not shifting sometimes. Also after making a turn it takes between 5 seconds and 35 seconds before I get a response from the gas pedal(weird) Not sure if that is transmission related though

Hey, truck just hit 200K :eek:

The saga continues
Currently in the works to get out of this truck for good

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well truck just hit 225K and is back in the shop, it was in the shop last week and the week before and the week before. They finally figured out the overheating problem after the 4th try, the low coolant sensor was leaking :mad:
Now the transmission is leaking and I had to add two quarts twice this week, they said one of the studs in the pan stripped out. I am still having the no throttle response problem it happens between 5 to 10 times every day now and today I had to come to a dead stop after turning onto the freeway onramp. It is becoming a safety issue now since every time I turn a corner I never know if I have throttle response and have to come to a dead stop, shut off engine and restart. This causes quite a traffic hold up even though I am quick on the restart. Most people don't expect you to stop after turning a corner especially on a freeway onramp or after rolling accross and intersection and I feel I am asking to get rear ended one of these days.
I have written a letter to Penske saying I either need this fixed, a different truck or let out of my lease. If they won't cooperate I may have to get a lawyer, goto the DOT or both.
I don't need a truck till Tuesday morning due to the holiday weekend, but will be in a loaner on Tuesday and will wait for what they have to say. Am I wrong to think this is now a safety issue? Plus doesn't the lease say that I am entitled to a working vehicle?:mad: I have been mister nice guy long enough and have put up with this crap but I am done!!!
Not to mention all the time I spend driving this hunk of metal back and forth to the shop and then having to get someone to pick me up and drop me off when I don't get a loaner.
in the past year the truck has spend about 6 or 7 weeks in the shop(luckily I had loaners)

Last edited:

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
yes , i get 9 , with an automatic transmission -just like in a car , not automated .
i think with a stick and the right ratio you can get 10.5 .

That seems really sad mileage considering my Columbia with Cat engine, 10 speed auto and 22' box get almost 11 and I drive 70 where ever legal. I've heard so many Hino horror stories. I would never get one.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
That seems really sad mileage considering my Columbia with Cat engine, 10 speed auto and 22' box get almost 11 and I drive 70 where ever legal. I've heard so many Hino horror stories. I would never get one.

I get 8 at 70 turning 2500 rpm
9 at 60
That is with a very flat and tall windshield, I bet with better aerodynamics and a better gear ratio you could get above 10 with these trucks

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I forgot too I am pushing through the wind with a 13"1' tall box

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I have written a letter to Penske saying I either need this fixed, a different truck or let out of my lease. If they won't cooperate I may have to get a lawyer, goto the DOT or both.

i would say the time to fix has passed. it is time for a different truck or OUT of the lease. like greg said the amt of money they have put into this lemon is not your fault.

moose

Veteran Expediter

Apples & Oranges ! ,
just like Mr. Dakota Hino ,& my truck .
his truck is totally different then mine ,and he will be the first to admit that there's no frigin way ,my Hino will have the same bad luck .
with 195K ,@ this point ,Hino WILL be my next truck .
i just hope thy'll spec' it with real tranny for 2011...
(& Dakota ...hope you realized that my PM offer from last month still standing...so good luck.)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
In your opinion does this sound like a safety issue or just an annoyance?
Plus I am paying good money for a working truck with AC and the ac has quit on me at least 5 times in the 14 months, including this spring:(

moose

Veteran Expediter
In your opinion does this sound like a safety issue or just an annoyance? :(

Your asking the wrong guy !
i once bought a new class 8 truck ,and 14 months later ,after being abused by the salesman ,i drove it to his dealership ,and told him to shove it ! check was in the mail for MY asking price within 3 days .
i simply admire your patience .

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Moose I fail to see how its apples and oranges.
Fuel mileage is fuel mileage and the Hino gets crap for mileage apparently. Thats not only money out of your pocket, its a LOT of money out of your pocket.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Moose I fail to see how its apples and oranges.
Fuel mileage is fuel mileage and the Hino gets crap for mileage apparently. Thats not only money out of your pocket, its a LOT of money out of your pocket.

I must say for a class 6 or 7 truck yes the Hino gets better mileage then other class 6 or 7 trucks. These trucks were designed for city delivery routes not extended highway use
If they had a class 6 truck that got 11 or 12 don't you think we would be driving them. If they are out there maybe I just haven't found them yet.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
(& Dakota ...hope you realized that my PM offer from last month still standing...so good luck.)

Hey, thanks Moose, Towne Air is giving me plenty of work and am doing quite well, thanks for the offer though.
I'd like to see Class 6 and 7 trucks with more than a 6 speed manual 5 speed auto, maybe a little more horsepower too. Seems our trucks are always usuing 100% of the engine to get moving, it would be nice to have a little power reserve. With that being said around town my truck is plenty quick, but on the highway it is a dog, I'll get up to speed eventually but ever little mole hill will slow it down.
I will be looking at a class 6 Kenworth, Peterbuilt, International and Freightliner Frieghtliner would be my last choice, Transmission choices, more horsepower could be the deciding factor. I have driven trucks with the Eaton Auto Shift and they seem to do pretty well. I don't want to deal with a manual, call me a wimp if ya will:rolleyes:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Your issues sound like less of a problem with the truck and more of a problem with crappy penske mechanics.

Transmission Pan bolts don't strip themselves. Also there is no reason to drop the pan on an Allison transmission with less than 500k mileage on it, so that alone makes me suspicious.
Allison trannys are pretty bullet - proof, hence the DOD use and etc.

As for your overheating problem, a faulty sensor should have been diagnosed on the first trip, there are ways to tell its a bad sensor without even being a REAL mechanic. The easy way to tell is if you are showing over-temp, pull over and touch your radiator cap, if it aint hotter than normal your fine, its the sensor. I would not, expect the average person to know this but a mechanic certainly should. Also, legitimate overheats cause the coolant to boil out, so on a hino, you'll have pink crap all over under your overfill reservoir and power steering box. Any mechanic worth his salt would be looking for sprayed out dryed coolant to indicate a real over-temp issue.

If all possible GET AWAY FROM PENSKE. The more they work on your truck the worse it is going to get.

Rush truck center in Fontana is good, as well as Nalley Truck center in Atlanta.

As for your electrical problems you probably have a bad ground somewhere on the truck. These can cause all kinds of seemingly un-related symptoms.

If you have any LED lights in the Brake or Turn Signal circuits remove them. Check all your chicken light wires, any short can cause the weird stalling problems, cruise control problems and even tranny problems.

However, your biggest problem is Penske mechanics. GET AWAY from penske if possible.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Went into Penske this morning to pick up a loaner, and they said go ahead and use your truck. It was 93 today and the transmission gave up and got stuck in 4th gear(it's an auto)
Ever try to get a truck moving in 4th? So I called and they said to try to limp it back, halfway there the engine starts to over heat and the truck shuts down, time for a tow!!! They brought me a nearly new International Prostar for a loaner.....They can have my old truck forever as far as I am concerned:cool: