My Hino Nightmare

teamliz

Seasoned Expediter
I have a friend who just bought a 2007 Hino with less than
200,000 miles and before they ever pulled their first load the truck was having some sort of fuel problem. All the injectors had been replaced before he bought it. But it still wasn't running right. Had it towed to Hino dealer and the fuel injector pump was no good.....$3200 to replace it. He also had the fuel filter housing replaced as a preventative measure because the housing is also another inherent problem with Hino's as well as the fuel injector pump. This is also in a very hard to get at place 10-12 hours to replace! YAY. Good luck!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have a friend who just bought a 2007 Hino with less than
200,000 miles and before they ever pulled their first load the truck was having some sort of fuel problem. All the injectors had been replaced before he bought it. But it still wasn't running right. Had it towed to Hino dealer and the fuel injector pump was no good.....$3200 to replace it. He also had the fuel filter housing replaced as a preventative measure because the housing is also another inherent problem with Hino's as well as the fuel injector pump. This is also in a very hard to get at place 10-12 hours to replace! YAY. Good luck!

Thank God, I don't have to pay for it, and I can still work while truck is down.
I may pay more to lease, but I have alot less stress and more piece of mind. Even if my truck breaking down seems to annoy me, I can still keep on working. Who knows at tax time leasing might be the way to go.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. He also had the fuel filter housing replaced as a preventative measure because the housing is also another inherent problem with Hino's as well as the fuel injector pump.

"another inherent problem with Hino's"

do you know that to be a fact ?

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Who knows at tax time leasing might be the way to go.

actually ,taxes are the # one rezone not to go into a lease .
in most cases , depending on the lease , you might not be aliabel for the deduction of the (so called) "paymens", nor the depreciation of the truck .
you should have checked it before signing the lease .

you might be better off , asking it on the Tax topics forum .

at any case , now will be a good time to fax the lease to an accounting Co. ,that understand the trucking taxes, for review .
before you sign into another truck .

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I don't know about inherent problems but the two Hino's at the place I used to work had blown turbos before 25K
Might be the blame of all the different drivers and not letting turbos cool down before shutting down.

Is that a myth or truth to let the engine idle a few minutes before shutting down after highway speeds? Enquiring minds want to know :) Anyways, I give my engine a few minutes after high speed running

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I own 10 of those great HINO's and only 1 is what I call a 'problem' truck. It's an '08 and has had everything under the sun replaced under the hood several times. The rest of my HINO's have been great with very litle break downs or problems.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Like I've said before, I've had relatively little go wrong with my truck from the 160K to 194K, minor stuff really AC issues and a transmission sensor(transmission is an Allison BTW)
I am not done with Hino yet, just frustrated. I like the better mileage I get and also the engine and cab seems to be alot quieter then the competition. The International rental I am driving now is a nice truck, but the cab seems small in comparison to the huge cab in the Hino. A few times I have hit the roof going over bumps. The engine is alot louder inside and out and the cab just seems louder. I do like the stereo better, the speakers have more bass and are behind you, but I guess I could put in a couple more speakers in the Hino if I wanted.
By the time I am in the market for another truck the DPR issue should be fixed.

teamliz

Seasoned Expediter

Yup, when he was talking to the repair facility they told him they had at least 2 other trucks with that problem. Its the primer for fuel filter that gets messed up. He also was told that the injector pump problem was also a major issue for the Hinos. The first repair place close to where he bought it had one in the shop waiting on the same injector pump. (to far to have it towed there so he towed to the other Hino dealer who actualyy did the repair).:)

teamliz

Seasoned Expediter
BTW, at 3:30am my phone rings and he's having another problem with it now.....Sounds like a airhose has been cut in half but not lossing pressure...Its coming from the turbo area. Not blown just bad noise. HMMMMM on this one the turbo was replaced just before he bought it so Im still thinkin on this one cant diagnose over the phone...LOL

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay, got an update from Penske
Replacing all the injectors, the rail, the fuel pump, fuel filter, the turbo, the oil cooler and a most of the fittings on the fuel tanks. Might be a couple things I forgot:eek:
I'll have a new truck when they are finished Hmmmm

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Got may truck back finally, It's nice to be in my truck and I made it home 22 miles with no problems lol. It now feels more powerful, probably due to new injectors and turbo.:)
I hope the next 150K is trouble free, the first 194K was fairly trouble free up until this last problem.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bet your glad you lease that vehicle and they could give you a replacement while it was getting fixed. That could be a rough situation with one as a expediter. Huge losses in down time.
Don't see these things in my fleet anytime soon.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Bet your glad you lease that vehicle and they could give you a replacement while it was getting fixed. That could be a rough situation with one as a expediter. Huge losses in down time.
Don't see these things in my fleet anytime soon.

Yes, my lease is "the piece of mind plan" LOL
To tell you the truth, I think any class 6 truck is gonna need work at 200K. I might be wrong but my last job had plent of problems with the Freightliner M2 and before that the International. These class 6 trucks are only good for about 350 to 400K

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well, that didn't last long:( I drove out to North Manchester, In this morning truck ran well, noticed white smoke while driving, figured it was due to being only 10 out. Got to shipper, opened my door, noticed my step was wet, weird it wasn't wet out an I didn't drive through any puddles. Got out an noticed oil dripping from my engine, gas tank and all along the frame back to the lift gate. No oil light came on while driving(no guage in hino's)
Lost the load I was supposed to pickup
I guess oil is coming out of the blow by tube everytime you hit the gas sat at shipper from 9:30 till 3:30 waiting on tow truck after the maintence truck decided I needed a tow.
No rentals available til Monday, whole day is shot and lost at least $500 :(:mad:

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
that isn't good .. blow by ... sucks you lost money today. got to love the oil gauge delete substitute idiot light option. hmmm wonder if new turbo seals are bad on intake side .. as boost goes up forcing air into oil drain back line .. straight to the crankcase.... that or all the while you were having issues before and them testing something happened to a piston or rings and now its putting cyl pressure into the crank case . wonder how much oil was lost on the way there.

Sounds like your truck is writing a new chapter on issues. I hope you get a rental and keep making some money .... sounds liek might be time to talk to the lease people about another truck. this one is getting to be a headache.:(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably not going to like my answer. Since you said you had the injectors replaced, it is likely they didn't put the seals in properly.
Result: fuel starts dumping into the oil and when pressure comes up, it dumps it out the blow by tube. Even more so if it is a fair amount of oil. A small amount could be from the turbo but my guess is on the other because of recent repairs you mentioned.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dakota, I got to give you credit for putting up with this and staying cool, my professionalism would be all used up at this point and I would be coming unglued to Penske and demanding another truck or to break the lease.

My Dad once used to say, the more your truck gets worked on...the worse it will get. I'm beginning to think yours is getting that way.

Hope this gets sorted out for you and you can truck with confidence again!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
that isn't good .. blow by ... sucks you lost money today. got to love the oil gauge delete substitute idiot light option. hmmm wonder if new turbo seals are bad on intake side .. as boost goes up forcing air into oil drain back line .. straight to the crankcase.... that or all the while you were having issues before and them testing something happened to a piston or rings and now its putting cyl pressure into the crank case . wonder how much oil was lost on the way there.

Sounds like your truck is writing a new chapter on issues. I hope you get a rental and keep making some money .... sounds liek might be time to talk to the lease people about another truck. this one is getting to be a headache.:(
It was down at least a gallon, didn't register on dipstick(but still no idiot light) Customer service filled it up, allowing me to idle and stay warm, although the sun was shining and I was fairly comfortable without running it.