Modern Life In Appalachia

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure I follow this? What customer base are you referencing?

The American South and Appalachia are a huge customer base for expedited freight. It is unwise to insult current or potential customers. If they see Northern arrogance belittling the region, as too often happens, Southerners might decide a southern expedite company can handle their freight just as well. Perhaps, better. This is basic Public Relations 101.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Still not really following you? I am from the south and I am in no way insulted. Just remember, more people move down here than any southerners moving north. No need to take anything as a insult. Just look at the results.

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Still not really following you? I am from the south and I am in no way insulted. Just remember, more people move down here than any southerners moving north. No need to take anything as a insult. Just look at the results.

Damage control.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your ambitious little sidekick Rlent led you into this swamp.
Actually, we were having a conversation and I wondered aloud how you would react to a shoe-on- the-other-foot situation, like with a Life in Modern Day Appalachia thread. He took that cue and started the thread, and you didn't disappoint.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Actually, we were having a conversation and I wondered aloud how you would react to a shoe-on- the-other-foot situation, like with a Life in Modern Day Appalachia thread. He took that cue and started the thread, and you didn't disappoint.
Several of us have known Rlent does your bidding.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too much attacking the poster and not the post going on.

Therefore, I'm going beddy-bye.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
*sigh*

advil_liquigel_240caps_enlarge.jpg

Remember when this thread started off debating an issue, with discussion on current times vs the past... and not each other??

Let's try to get back there, ok?

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, he did. Don't expect you to admit it. Look at the sequence of posts.
Huh? How did you arrive at such a convoluted conclusion?

Your ambitious little sidekick Rlent led you into this swamp.
Several of us have known Rlent does your bidding.
Oh, yeah, I forgot. 95th percentile and all that. Got it.

Remember when this thread started off debating an issue, with discussion on current times vs the past... and not each other??

Let's try to get back there, ok?
Remember back when Appalachian stereotypes were considered outdated and antiquated? Ah, the good ol' days.

The Academy. It claims to stand for inclusiveness and diversity and voices of dissent. But what happens when students decide to vote with their feet—their bare feet—and a professor calls those students "hillbillies"? Well, well, well, now you've got a discrimination problem because everyone is offended, highly. And viciously.

Online faculty discussion raises concern about bias against Appalachians and poor white people - Inside Higher Ed

On the faculty discussion board, a staff member posted a complaint about a student walking around barefoot in a building. A response is what set off the larger discussion:

One professor wrote: "My approach would be to assure this student that going barefoot is not against the rules because the assumption is that by the time they reach college, students are expected to understand why wearing shoes is expected on campus. If s/he disrespects his or her peers and the college community enough to (un)dress like a hillbilly here, I would say, then s/he should be prepared to be dismissed as one, in whatever pursuits s/he favors, in the preference of someone more attuned to proper decorum and respectful behavior."

A professor who was troubled by that response forwarded the comment to the Appalachian studies email list with the question: "Colleagues, if you read the following on your institutional discussion board in reference to a complaint about a barefoot student, how would you respond to the professor?"​

How would you respond? Furiously, apparently. That's how many people felt, as they assailed nose-in-the-air profs who "do not feel the same need to be sensitive to those from poor, largely white, rural communities in Appalachia."
Maybe everybody can hammer out their differences over a relaxing drink, like Dr. Henry Louis Gates and that white cop did.

And so it goes...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
My family is from KY.. my wife's is from WV.. ah my poor kids LOL.. we've apologized many times.. but my wife, one of the smartest and wisest ladies I know (tho she would deny it) embraces that heritage for sure... and yes, she would go barefoot year round if it were possible! ;)

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So what? They are not allowed to be priests. Men aren't allowed to be nuns. And try telling a nun in a catholic school they are subservient. They'll knock you up side the head with their Habit.

Anyone who considers being knocked upside the head with a nun's habit a serious threat is some kind of soft in the head, lol.

And I notice you didn't answer my question about who holds the real power in the church [not who does all the work]: if the church is considering buying or selling property, do those women you mentioned have the authority to make the decisions on buy or sell?

Y'all keep confusing politeness and good manners with the respect that is not accorded to women: genuine respect for their intelligence and abilities.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My family is from KY.. my wife's is from WV.. ah my poor kids LOL.. we've apologized many times.. but my wife, one of the smartest and wisest ladies I know (tho she would deny it) embraces that heritage for sure... and yes, she would go barefoot year round if it were possible! ;)

Dale

Oh, it's possible, lol. I wear shoes only when absolutely necessary, and only own shoes that can be kicked off in a flash. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Rather ironic, that people who have a history of inbreeding are so often opposed to gay marriage, IMO. The lack of access to potential mates outside their immediate family didn't stop them from enjoying a sex life, or marriage and parenthood, but they believe their religion should stop gays from having the same things? SMH.

The 4 photographs, incidentally, show the 'blue people' on the bottom, but the top two photos are of Reynaud's Syndrome. I have some photos of my own hands looking just like that - and it has absolutely nothing to do with inbreeding, and is not even a familial trait.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Rather ironic, that people who have a history of inbreeding are so often opposed to gay marriage, IMO. The lack of access to potential mates outside their immediate family didn't stop them from enjoying a sex life, or marriage and parenthood, but they believe their religion should stop gays from having the same things? SMH.
So it would seem ...

The 4 photographs, incidentally, show the 'blue people' on the bottom, but the top two photos are of Reynaud's Syndrome. I have some photos of my own hands looking just like that - and it has absolutely nothing to do with inbreeding, and is not even a familial trait.
Yup ... I'm pretty familiar Reynaud's ... on a close, personal basis ;)