Modern Life In Appalachia

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's pretty funny, considering in which thread you made the request. I look forward to you addressing it another thread.
I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree: it's way beyond "pretty funny" ... it's cramp-inducing, gut-busting hilarious ...

I do hope we don't have to wait as long as we had to wait to hear back on how invading Afghanistan was done to protect the US Constitution.
Minor point: If I recall correctly it was Iraq ... invading Iraq to defend the Constitution ...

And that specifically - along with the inclination generally, for (so-called) conservatives to typically flee and avoid addressing facts which engender and foments their own cognitive dissonance - is exactly that kind of thing that makes it utterly hilarious ...

And yeah: that's a generalization and stereotype ... one with plenty of first-hand, personal observation to back it up ...

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
There's no sport in teasing Appalachians. It's too easy. We Appalachians mock ourselves without mercy. It develops character and builds a thick skin.

But let any 'outsider' try it, and differences are put aside to coalesce into a unified attack force - I have family living [and descended from] there, too.

For every drunk redneck story, a contrasting view of Appalachian stock can be found:

And for every "Modern Life " glimpse into the 'barbarity' of the Muslim religion, one can find an equally outrageous example of 'Christian' behavior.
When someone continually attempts to portray one group of people as 'the worst', it makes one wonder: which group is the attention being deflected from, here? And why?
Cheri, you and your friends are deliberately misleading readers here. Nowhere in the "Modern Life" threads did I say or imply the Muslim religion is barbaric. Rather, I pointed to helpless victims suffering the brutality of sharia punishments and oppression. Read my words carefully.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Minor point: If I recall correctly it was Iraq ... invading Iraq to defend the Constitution ...
My apologies. I've been waiting so long for the answer, I simply forgot and got the two confused.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cheri, you and your friends are deliberately misleading readers here. Nowhere in the "Modern Life" threads did I say or imply the Muslim religion is barbaric. Rather, I pointed to helpless victims suffering the brutality of sharia punishments and oppression. Read my words carefully.
That's very true, Cheri. He is being extra careful with his wording. So careful that he's basically boxed himself into a corner where he's doing little but pointing out the rare exception to the rule - that being the barbaric implementation of sharia law, which is rather rare, indeed. It's very important that the discussion stays strictly within the scope of barbaric and oppressive sharia law. The fact that only Muslims live their lives under sharia law is just a coincidence.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My remarks are directed at the barbarism and brutality of the sharia penal code.
Well, that was the intended premise, anyway, but that appears to be just a vehicle for the real message you ended up sending. It didn't go unnoticed that you crafted your threads specifically within a very narrow scope, yet many of your comments were not about sharia law at all, but rather "Islam's treatment of women" in general, comments about facial coverings even when not subject to sharia law, etc, especially the references to the comments of Churchill and Twain, which then became your comments, as well, and had little to do with the sharia penal code. The totality of the threads you started, within a short time frame, is a set of topics that will undoubtedly result in many people associating sharia law with all Muslims and all things Islam, but more importantly, it's designed to get people thinking that sharia law is spreading, and fast, and it's just a matter of time before it consumes America the same way it is "swallowing Indonesia" and other places. But I'm confident that you are aware of that.

"The US must keep an eye on the cultural upheaval happening in Europe as it eventually makes its way across the pond."

"When devout Muslims migrate to the US, they need to understand ours is a secular society insofaras public activity is concerned. The United States is not a western outpost of Mecca or Medina. Conform to local custom."

As you know, a significant segment of Muslims do not live under the horrors of sharia.
Yes, I know that. But thanks for clearing up the question of whether or not you know it.

I am glad for those not subjected to such terror. I will continue to speak out against the cruelties of sharia often.You are not required to agree with my opinion. Try being nice once in a while. You can do it.

Nice? Like how? You mean where you attempted to have me removed as a moderator here and get my contract cancelled at my carrier by lamely trying to enlist the cooperation of those who matter at EO and at my carrier to sever their associations with me because you falsely claimed that I called Southerners and Appalachians "wife-beaters"? Or maybe you mean that I should just call RLENT a troll and tell him to go away? I though that was rather nice of you.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Well, that was the intended premise, anyway, but that appears to be just a vehicle for the real message you ended up sending. It didn't go unnoticed that you crafted your threads specifically within a very narrow scope, yet many of your comments were not about sharia law at all, but rather "Islam's treatment of women" in general, comments about facial coverings even when not subject to sharia law, etc, especially the references to the comments of Churchill and Twain, which then became your comments, as well, and had little to do with the sharia penal code. The totality of the threads you started, within a short time frame, is a set of topics that will undoubtedly result in many people associating sharia law with all Muslims and all things Islam, but more importantly, it's designed to get people thinking that sharia law is spreading, and fast, and it's just a matter of time before it consumes America the same way it is "swallowing Indonesia" and other places. But I'm confident that you are aware of that.

"The US must keep an eye on the cultural upheaval happening in Europe as it eventually makes its way across the pond."

"When devout Muslims migrate to the US, they need to understand ours is a secular society insofaras public activity is concerned. The United States is not a western outpost of Mecca or Medina. Conform to local custom."
When one posts nasty, ridiculous comments about Southerners and Appalachians bringing in p
Yes, I know that. But thanks for clearing up the question of whether or not you know it.

Nice? Like how? You mean where you attempted to have me removed as a moderator here and get my contract cancelled at my carrier by lamely trying to enlist the cooperation of those who matter at EO and at my carrier to sever their associations with me because you falsely claimed that I called Southerners and Appalachians "wife-beaters"? Or maybe you mean that I should just call RLENT a troll and tell him to go away? I though that was rather nice of you.

When anyone makes nasty, vicious insinuations against people of the South and Appalachia with a huge Load-1 banner attached to every post, the net effect is the same as sending them out on Load-1 letterhead. In fact, every nasty remark made in other posts which is attached to a Load-1 banner is seen all across the nation. Think before you post. People see these remarks and the company logo together, many will make the unfortunate connection between unkind words and the company. It is inescapable. I am doing you the favor of suggesting you temper your remarks so as not to hurt innocent parties. Wise up.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My apologies. I've been waiting so long for the answer, I simply forgot and got the two confused.
No problemo ... it's been a long, long time ... and I suspect that it will be a long, long time still - before anything approaching a rational reply is received ... if ever ...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's very true, Cheri. He is being extra careful with his wording. So careful that he's basically boxed himself into a corner where he's doing little but pointing out the rare exception to the rule - that being the barbaric implementation of sharia law, which is rather rare, indeed.
I'd be very curious as to what the "logic" was of doing that ...

I'd also be curious if the individual involved understands the premise that "the exception proves the rule" ...

IOW, by carelessly pointing out the exceptional, one in fact shows the truth of the opposite of what one is alleging ...

It's very important that the discussion stays strictly within the scope of barbaric and oppressive sharia law. The fact that only Muslims live their lives under sharia law is just a coincidence.
Oh SNAP !

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When anyone makes nasty, vicious insinuations against people of the South and Appalachia with a huge Load-1 banner attached to every post, the net effect is the same as sending them out on Load-1 letterhead. In fact, every nasty remark made in other posts which is attached to a Load-1 banner is seen all across the nation. Think before you post. People see these remarks and the company logo together, many will make the unfortunate connection between unkind words and the company. It is inescapable. I am doing you the favor of suggesting you temper your remarks so as not to hurt innocent parties. Wise up.
You're not doing me a favor, you're whining not at all unlike a 3 year old and trying to get me back, but good. If you keep implying that I have made nasty, vicious (vicious, I tell you) insinuations against people of the South and Appalachia, you might get a few simpletons to believe you, but anyone else can simply read the thread and know what a retarded charge that is.

If I were the only one here with a carrier's logo in my sig, then you'd have a valid point. But there is a veritable cornucopia of logos and carrier references in sigs on here, and no one, other than someone from Appalachia, thinks the comments made above those sigs are official comments from the carriers.

You want me to be nice? Stick to the issues, instead of calling people names and making up crap about them simply because you can't get your way.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can we throw Ovm under the Bus in here somehow. ...lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app
under_the_bus.jpg

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
You're not doing me a favor, you're whining not at all unlike a 3 year old and trying to get me back, but good. If you keep implying that I have made nasty, vicious (vicious, I tell you) insinuations against people of the South and Appalachia, you might get a few simpletons to believe you, but anyone else can simply read the thread and know what a retarded charge that is.

If I were the only one here with a carrier's logo in my sig, then you'd have a valid point. But there is a veritable cornucopia of logos and carrier references in sigs on here, and no one, other than someone from Appalachia, thinks the comments made above those sigs are official comments from the carriers.

You want me to be nice? Stick to the issues, instead of calling people names and making up crap about them simply because you can't get your way.

Grow up. Be nice and stop whining. No doubt, you are a splendid expediter; yet, a public relations nightmare because of blinding arrogance.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The real question is whether or not he will admit and cop to it ...

Might be an opportunity to segue into discussing what actually constitutes "honesty" and "forthrightness" in at least some "Appalachian" minds ...

As a matter of tactics or technique, it's always nice when one can get the opposing party in a debate to make points which appear to contradict and fly in the face of what it appears they would prefer to be making ... ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After reading through all this I am beginning to think there is such a thing as a redneck Muslim. :eek:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's pretty funny, considering in which thread you made the request.
No - you made an unsubstantiated allegation and got called on it.
Squaring it with those who prefer to be stay at home moms is easy, because they are making that choice, the same way that many Muslim women prefer wearing a hajib or burqa even when men don't require them to do so
Talk about comparing apples to oranges: in Christian nations stay at home moms don't go under the lash or go to prison if they make the wrong decision. In some Muslim nations the burqa and hijab are worn by choice; in others such as Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia, non-compliance with the dress code can result in public flogging, execution or imprisonment.
All stereotypes are rooted in the truth...
Like blonde girls are dumb? Maybe some stereotypes are rooted in truth, but certainly not ALL. ​Better be careful with your absolutes.
You, however, having a stubborn and complete intolerance of my opinion, and isn't that ironic.
We have a difference of opinion; tolerance has nothing to do with it.
My experiences and observations contradict that statement...
Evidently our experiences and observations are different - not that there's anything wrong with that.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
OK, daddy. I will
<sniffle>

Your ambitious little sidekick Rlent led you into this swamp. Creating threads to disparage the home team is an exercise in poor judgment. Disparaging one's customer base is extra special. When the two of you conspire, nothing good comes from it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your ambitious little sidekick Rlent led you into this swamp. Creating threads to disparage the home team is an exercise in poor judgment. Disparaging one's customer base is extra special. When the two of you conspire, nothing good comes from it.

I'm not sure I follow this? What customer base are you referencing?