Modern Life In Appalachia

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, really.

The shooter clearly had mental problems, but so does anyone who takes their own life, whatever the reason.

As for gay people not projecting so others can suffer for their pain, off the top of my head I'd have to go with Bradley Manning, who stated specifically that he wanted people to pay for his pain.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I know [of] one young man who was a homosexual, although he never engaged in any sexual acts with other young men
Then he wasn't a homosexual. He had perverted desires to which he hadn't surrendered.
- he just wanted to, even if he wasn't quite sure what they might be, exactly.
Except his crush wasn't gay, and the fear that he'd react with horror and heap [more] shame upon the poor guy who didn't choose to feel the way he did, kept him from expressing it, except in his private journal. The one his Mom found after he hanged himself, because he couldn't stand any more torment - he was just 16 years old. Terrified that he'd inadvertently give himself away somehow.
He couldn't live with the knowledge that he was powerless to control his thoughts, or the words of people just like you.
Had the psychiatric community not removed these perverted desires from the MSM years ago, maybe resources would've been dedicated to finding out what brain malfunction causes these perverted desires and maybe some treatment would've been developed.
How many people have suffered and died because of those words? I only know of this one for sure, but that's one too many, IMO.
Sin has consequences. I hope you'll repent of the sin of rebellion and submit yourself to Christ.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I have a extremely hard time believing in a lot of the story's they want you to believe... I believe in being a good honest person...treat others as you would like to be treated...be a good citizen...Dont need much more than that..

Unless you worship Christ, "that" and 75¢ won't even get you a cup of coffee. It's good as far as it goes, but you need a whole lot more than that.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
But then you went in with the Earth not being flat.
No - you're confusing the existing error that I was referring to, with the other existing error - you know: the one I corrected specifically, rather than just referring to by implication.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
That's an awfully big assumption, seeing as she was embedded with them.
I don't know that it's necessarily all that big of an assumption ... given that the "anti-balaka" forces (as well as the nominally Muslim Seleka forces) have been involved in unprovoked violence, including murder, against innocents.

I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't regard "embedding" with "anti-balaka" forces in a quite the same way as I would regard embedding with the military of a first-world nation.

Hard to say for certain what happened (rape ?), or what she might have observed or witnessed, that could have made her continuing to draw a breath problematic for somebody.

It is, after all, Africa ... a place not unknown for its brutality and savagery. One doesn't have to look very far afield - Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army come immediately to mind - to get other examples of the sort of mindset that exists in the area.

By the way, I'm sure that you noted I stated it as a possibility - rather than an absolute fact - despite the fact that some have reported it in the latter manner.

Central African Republic bishops warn of natural resource plundering - Catholic Sentinel - Portland, OR

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Some really whacked racist misogynistic stuff from a true psychopath to be sure - read at your own peril:

Highlights from #UCSB gunman's manifesto that mainstream coverage will probably ignore (with images, tweets) · RaniaKhalek · Storify

The repeated references to his "enemies" is pretty chilling, when you know he's referring to "people who have sex"......
"If I can't, then no one else should" - what a miserable, twisted attitude to have, even if you don't mean it as literally as he did.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
"If I can't, then no one else should" - what a miserable, twisted attitude to have, even if you don't mean it as literally as he did.
Yup, it is ... and that particular paradigm ("If I can't, then no one else should") often manifests itself in other contexts (besides sex) as well ...

Definitely a form of insanity ...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just read of an interesting study that might shed another ray of light: the 'message' voiced by men's mags [Playboy, Maxim, Field & Stream {?!}] is basically that everyone is having sex.
The message voiced by women's mags is that sex must be consensual, and women should never engage because they feel pressured, or obligated, etc.
The conclusion drawn in the study is that women are encouraged to say no [if they mean it], while men are encouraged to believe they won't - bit of a dichotomy there, what?
It would seem that the women and the man behaved exactly that way in this tragedy, and then he took it to the final level.
Field & Stream? Really?!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Then he wasn't a homosexual. He had perverted desires to which he hadn't surrendered.

Had the psychiatric community not removed these perverted desires from the MSM years ago, maybe resources would've been dedicated to finding out what brain malfunction causes these perverted desires and maybe some treatment would've been developed.
Sin has consequences. I hope you'll repent of the sin of rebellion and submit yourself to Christ.

Freedom of religion means that if you choose to subscribe to the "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" promises, you are free to do so. Billions have, in spite of not a single one ever demonstrating receipt of payment due, or evidence of promises kept.
I can't 'believe' in what I know was begun as an effort to supplant the worship of multiple gods & goddesses [because: thunder & lightning! Volcanoes & typhoons!] with just one God instead. People learned to trade Oestre, Goddess of Fertility, for Easter, and keeping some of the traditions observed [like the eggs in spring] made it easier to do. Keeping some of the fear [thunder & lightning! Volcanoes & typhoons!] made it easier to keep them in line. A pretty neat design, really, but I'm not buying it.
Scripture? That's ludicrous, really: it says whatever you want it to say, and then it can say the opposite, too, so no credibility on that score, either.
Lastly, 'sin' is in the eye of the beholder, and your own is all you need to be concerned with.
Mine is none of your dam business.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's some real modern life in Appalachia.

Appalachia: The Big White Ghetto

If the people here weren't 98.5 percent white, we'd call it a reservation.

There is here a strain of fervid and sometimes apocalyptic Christianity, and visions of the Rapture must have a certain appeal for people who already have been left behind. Like its black urban counterparts, the Big White Ghetto suffers from a whole trainload of social problems, but the most significant among them may be adverse selection: Those who have the required work skills, the academic ability, or the simple desperate native enterprising grit to do so get the hell out as fast as they can, and they have been doing that for decades. As they go, businesses disappear, institutions fall into decline, social networks erode, and there is little or nothing left over for those who remain.