Modern Life In Appalachia

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The fact that this video exists explains a whole lot of things ... it is certainly quite hilarious, while at the same time is also sad ...

I'd swear that it looks like Boomhauer makes an appearance ... don't click if you are easily offended:

Patriotic Drunk Rednecks - YouTube

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Kentucky Is Exactly What You'd Expect: Married Cousins and Inbred Children

I am from Kentucky, so it’s only natural that I married my cousin. Not that I had much of a choice, though; here in Kentucky, it’s just one giant cesspool of incest. Actually, to be fair, there are really two families that we credit our lineage to: the Hatfields and the McCoys. Given the amount of bad blood between aforementioned clans, we pretty much just stick to marrying within the families, as we’d hate to have another Romeo and Juliet situation on our hands (Romeo and Juliet were cows who ran off together from two competing farms. Tragically, they were found days later, washed up on the shore of Cumberland Lake, hooves still intertwined).

Marrying your cousin really isn’t all that bad. It’s just easier to marry someone you’ve grown up with your whole life. You don’t have to do much courting when your other half already knows what brand of tobacco you prefer to chew. Plus, an incest marriage kills two birds with one stone: the legal binding of two individuals and a family reunion!

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
There's no sport in teasing Appalachians. It's too easy. We Appalachians mock ourselves without mercy. It develops character and builds a thick skin.

For every drunk redneck story, a contrasting view of Appalachian stock can be found: Medal of Honor recipient recalls deadly ambush - YouTube

Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer grew up in Green County, Kentucky which is included in the 40 or so Eastern Kentucky counties designated as Appalachian by the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's no sport in teasing Appalachians. It's too easy. We Appalachians mock ourselves without mercy. It develops character and builds a thick skin.

For every drunk redneck story, a contrasting view of Appalachian stock can be found: Medal of Honor recipient recalls deadly ambush - YouTube

Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer grew up in Green County, Kentucky which is included in the 40 or so Eastern Kentucky counties designated as Appalachian by the Appalachian Regional Commission.

Don't forget Sgt. York.

Then, on the comedy side:

Carter Lake, GA

Carter Lake High School, Home of the

"Ragin Rabbits"

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
For every drunk redneck story, a contrasting view of Appalachian stock can be found:
Oh ... really ?

So ... you mean to tell me that individuals differ and vary - despite sharing some commonality (politics, religion, where they hail from, etc.) ... and ought not be broad-brush stereotyped based on some misguided, ill-motivated, and illogical prejudice ?

Gee ... I dunno man ...

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Wife is from West Va and I love contry people. Waynesboro, VA wher I grew up isnt really country though.

Last year installed Directv in the heart of WV coal country and met alot of nice folks.

I almost purposly hit a buck in a customers drivrway to tick off my coworkers. He had a nice rack of horns.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

But let any 'outsider' try it, and differences are put aside to coalesce into a unified attack force - I have family living [and descended from] there, too.

For every drunk redneck story, a contrasting view of Appalachian stock can be found:

And for every "Modern Life " glimpse into the 'barbarity' of the Muslim religion, one can find an equally outrageous example of 'Christian' behavior.
When someone continually attempts to portray one group of people as 'the worst', it makes one wonder: which group is the attention being deflected from, here? And why?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Actually, I am darker brown in complexion which Chef Dennis could attest to if he was with us. More like a permanent tan which is associated with the Melungeons subculture of Central Appalachia. See: Melungeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am pretty easy to spot in an Appalachian crowd, I like to wear shoes and have all my teeth.

Thanks for the cite - it mentions a bit about Melungeons in Bill Bryson's book "The Lost Continent", one of the few I don't happen to have on hand. I will get it, though, because what Bryson writes is always worth reading. Especially if you enjoy learning something while laughing your AO. :D

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

But let any 'outsider' try it, and differences are put aside to coalesce into a unified attack force - I have family living [and descended from] there, too.

And for every "Modern Life " glimpse into the 'barbarity' of the Muslim religion, one can find an equally outrageous example of 'Christian' behavior.
When someone continually attempts to portray one group of people as 'the worst', it makes one wonder: which group is the attention being deflected from, here? And why?

Cheri, it's not the moderate followers of Islam, but the enforcers of sharia that brutalize their own people. The corporal punishments inflicted by sharia decree, such as amputations, eyes gouged out, public floggings and stoning to death, have no place among civilized people. Someday. the enforcers of sharia will be overthrown when sufficient public outcry has been reached. Hasten the day.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, please give an example in the Judeo-Christian world where there is a single instance of punishments decreed by law where cutting off hands, feet, noses, gouging out eyes, public flogging or stoning people to death is happening?

There aren't any! There is no comparison to be made with modern times.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri, it's not the moderate followers of Islam, but the enforcers of sharia that brutalize their own people. The corporal punishments inflicted by sharia decree, such as amputations, eyes gouged out, public floggings and stoning to death, have no place among civilized people. Someday. the enforcers of sharia will be overthrown when sufficient public outcry has been reached. Hasten the day.

The punishments of sharia are indeed barbaric and inhumane, no question.
It's my feeling, though, that the 'modern' Christian treatment of women is just as damaging, though less obvious, [especially to the males]. Women are believed to be subordinate to men, as if they're 'less than', and that's just stupid, IMO. The potential that women represent to humanity is as great as men's, except it's been [and continues to be] held back. And for what?
Religion may not have created the myth of male superiority, but it has done nothing to end it, and a great deal to perpetuate it. The cosmetic 'freedom' of Christian women is no less oppressive than the burqua - it's just less blatant.
When men can accept that women are capable of contributing every bit as much value to humanity as men, humanity will have evolved to the next level.
Since women are capable of contributing as much stupidity as men, too, it probably won't be utopia - but it will be real, anyway. I'm kind of sorry I won't live to see it, lol. ;)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
As many of us do ... ;)

But perhaps more importantly: for every "Modern Life " glimpse into the 'barbarity' of the Muslim religion, one could find 10 ... or maybe 100 ... examples of modern Muslim civility and humanity ... if one bothered to look ...

That one would not look is quite telling indeed ...

Are these stories which are widely reported and get told via the MSM ?

Of course, not ... if it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lead ...

Controversy and sensationalism rules the day ... with those of ill-intent standing at the ready to exploit in furtherance of their dubious agendas ...

I have no problem with condemnation of violent acts which violate people's human rights - whether they are committed by an individual or a nation-state.

My problems come about when I see people use those (relatively) isolated acts to condemn an entire race, ethnicity, or religion - when it is clearly the case that it is not the entire race, ethnicity, or religion that is doing it.

And I become particularly incensed when hypocrisy is an additional element in the matter.

That's an interesting question - particularly if the party doing it would claim it is being done as a "counter-balance" to (perceived) anti-semitism ... a theoretical premise which is logically fallacious on it's face ... as was recently pointed out.

Personally, I think that there could multiple answers to it.

On the one hand, it's clearly true that there are some - who as a matter of their religious fervor - believe that some folks (or nation-states) are "special" ... and ought to be covered for, and excused from, any responsibility or culpability for the criminal acts they have committed.

As someone who subscribes to the idea of the rule of law - and universal human rights for all people - regardless of race, sex, creed, or politics - I find this rather mystifying ...

But beyond that - and this is rather ironic, given the whole "counter-balance" argument - there is the matter of failing to even look at or even acknowledge who it was that was committing (or failing to prevent) the vast majority of truly heinous violent anti-semitic acts, such as the massive pogroms in Europe of the last couple of hundred years (to say nothing of what occurred prior), and ultimately the Holocaust.

It wasn't Buddhists, Shintos or the Mooslims that were doing it.

That someone would have to reach back into history 150+ years to find some ill-tempered and bigoted writings of a man who was otherwise an undoubtedly great writer - but who was typically racist for his time - to smear and tar one of the three major Abrahamic religions of the world - all while ignoring the above - perhaps speaks to the nature of one's motivations.

Some might say that it, in fact, speaks rather loudly ...

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, please give an example in the Judeo-Christian world where there is a single instance of punishments decreed by law where cutting off hands, feet, noses, gouging out eyes, public flogging or stoning people to death is happening?
If the above were coming from someone who glorifies militaristic idolatry and excuses the utter barbarity of "collateral damage" to innocents on the part of the State - simply because it is the State, and the State can do no wrong - it would be at least rather amusing ... on multiple levels ... and from multiple aspects ...

As well as being utterly pathetic of course ...

There aren't any! There is no comparison to be made with modern times.
That's correct: there isn't ... there is absolutely no comparison with the extent of the barbarity we as "modern", "civilized" human beings - a "Christian" nation according to some - are capable of committing, and have actually committed ...

Which is the worse "barbarity" ?:

To put out someone's eyes for the crime of having put out someone else's eyes ?

Or putting out the eyes of civilian non-combatant, whose country your nation has invaded without just cause, and who is just trying to survive but the bad fortune of being guilty only of the crime of "being there" ?

Or how about blowing off the legs of some kid living in a neutral nation because your nation left their country littered with tens of millions of cluster bomblets ?

What about this one:

To flog someone for some crime they have committed and actually have been tried and convicted of ?

Or to torture some hapless civilian non-combatant - who had the bad fortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - to the point that their legs are "pulpified" and they eventually die ?

Taxi_to_the_Dark_Side

Tell me more of this "barbarity" that horrifies you so, and inflames your delicate sense of moral outrage ...

Last edited: