Mexican trucks........again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
late to the game, dave. yothing has changed. NOTHING. no requirements for safer trucks. no requirements to meet american/cdn epa requirements. just open the door and let prosperity reign. only problem is why would anyone pay these guys more money after clearing they run for 13 cents?.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/45422-ooida-action-request.html

I guess some did not read the proposal...

The Department of Transportation proposal lays out in general terms conditions that Mexican long-haul truck carriers would have to meet, including a safety audit, U.S. emissions standards and driver background checks.

and they'll be subject to logging and scaling...hence the sky ain't falling...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Aww why you gotta say that?

koolaid.gif

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Except where we use nuts and bolts, they'll use bungee cords and masking tape.
you really think that'll pass a scale inspection..?

EnglishLady...really? if the trucks are up to US and Can standards...do you think they can run for .13 a mile?...I think not...

Besides...Mexican cargo vans are already here...have been for some time..

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
you really think that'll pass a scale inspection..?

EnglishLady...really? if the trucks are up to US and Can standards...do you think they can run for .13 a mile?...I think not...

Besides...Mexican cargo vans are already here...have been for some time..

LOL I was asking your opinion as another poster had mentioned a .13c rate. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There could be one really big difference between Mexico and Canada and that difference have a huge effect on U.S. AND Canadian trucking. Sea ports. Mexico will put in a number of new ports. That will, in many cases, shorten the run for ships. The Mexican port workers will work for FAR less than U.S. and Canadian port workers to drawing more business from those ports. THAT will hit both U.S. and Canadian trucking AND both countries sea port business HARD.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What I thought was pretty funny was this:
U.S. industry officials also welcomed the proposal.
"We can't say the Mexican trucking dispute is over, but we can now say that, at last, the end appears to be in sight," Doug Goudie, the National Association of Manufacturers' trade policy director, said in a statement.
These are the same ones that want to keep imports out of the country, and tariff the snot out of anything else.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What I thought was pretty funny was this:
These are the same ones that want to keep imports out of the country, and tariff the snot out of anything else.

There is a very fine line between fair trade and free trade. Protectionism never works but neither does a free for all. Right now we have placed ourselves in a negative position. A neutral position is where we should be. Opening up to unlimited Mexican trucking could run us deeper into the negative.

We must keep in mind the port problem. There is a potential for massive jobs losses at our ports as well as the problems with port security. Our ports are bad enough with lax security can you imagine how bad that will be in Mexico with that civil war that is going on down there?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know it really does not matter.

There are other issues that face us that are far more important than this one.

We already have foreign nationals working on our roads, and making a lot less than we make at the cheapest rate. The fallacy of someone who is a Mexican working for 13 cents a mile is just that, a fallacy because many on the road now who are working for owners make a little less than twice as much. The Mexican O/O will still have to buy permits, pay for road tax and buy fuel while here. They are not all going to be coming here and they are not all driving crap trucks.

The real issue is that we all work in an industry that just doesn't give a crap. It is no where near what the myth is portrayed, we are all one big happy brotherhood of truckers - yahoo!! It really is the opposite, nearly most of the 1.6 million truckers (I think that's the right number) out on the road are out there for themselves. A large majority of those are working for companies and have no interest in participating in the republic process or care about what affects the Owner Operator. It is a sad and very true fact because if this wasn't the case, outside of voting, many would be flooding their representitives about the issues that affect all of us.

UNTIL it affects everyone, then it is not as important as many make it out to be.

The OOIDA is an organization which has done what they could, in my opinion they need to be more proactive on those other issue but regardless they are only as good as their members who are willing to write to their representatives about issues they feel are important.

Speaking of crap trucks, take a serious look around the truck stops lately?

So pass the taco sauce Jaun.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I guess some did not read the proposal...

guess the drugs had not kicked in then. still can't talk and the cough almost makes me see stars. wonder who gave this to me.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
guess the drugs had not kicked in then. still can't talk and the cough almost makes me see stars. wonder who gave this to me.
I been sick for 2 weeks with the same thing, Jack. I still have a sore throat and i'm caughing up green stuff and hacking like a dying bum as I type this. That's pretty bad that you are seeing stars when you caugh man. I hope you feel better real soon!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The biggest advantage the Mexican trucks will have will be cheaper labor and certainly cheaper fuel. They add extra tanks on the trucks and purchase in Mexico. How much that advantage has is hard to say.