Mexican trucks........again

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest advantage the Mexican trucks will have will be cheaper labor and certainly cheaper fuel. They add extra tanks on the trucks and purchase in Mexico. How much that advantage has is hard to say.

Canadian trucks could do the same....CHEAP American diesel and have an advantage in Canada...and US trucks that go to Mexico could fuel up down there...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But they will be paying the same road tax as we are and they will have the same inspections that we have.

The labor costs are not relative to the bigger picture when you come down to who are the players in the bigger scheme of things, I think it is the Teamsters and possibly the UAW who may benefit the most while the companies in the enterprise zones (like in San Diego) will see a reduction in their cost but crap they already use Mexican truckers to move stuff into the states.

Outside of that, the O/O in southern border states may see the competition but I am thinking those of us who operate outside of the southern border states won't see much if any competition.

We got a lot bigger things to worry about with this administration and the actions of these agencies.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Even if they pay the same road tax, the cost basis of fuel is still much cheaper. But I do agree, it will be full truck load or companies operating down at the border that would notice the greatest effects.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
who gets really dinged? the Longshoremen and the teamsters? if they open ports in Mexico...no wonder the teamsters are against this...screw California..

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand that Dave, but I wonder how much of a savings are they going to see?

I'm told PEMEX Diesel in Northern Baja is selling for $2.78 a gallon which makes it a bit less than our but not by much to give a competitive edge. The Mexican Government increased taxes on fuel last year, so the parity isn't as bad as many make it out to be.

OVM, the longshoreman's union will get dinged but not the teamsters. They already have the same setup that the UAW has in Mexico - sister unions.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Some still do. :D (the sheep was meant for those, not you)

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

I'm one of them . Anybody that has driven on I-75 in MI knows Canadians are the ones speeding and tailgating and I've seen plenty of Canadian trucks with fenders flapping and mirrors held on with bungee cords .
If I am passing a Canadian truck I will not complete the pass unless there is a vehicle close enough behind me to keep the Canadian from jumping over 3 feet off my bumper .
When it comes to driver safety I'll trust a Mexican over a Canadian any day .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm one of them . Anybody that has driven on I-75 in MI knows Canadians are the ones speeding and tailgating and I've seen plenty of Canadian trucks with fenders flapping and mirrors held on with bungee cords .
If I am passing a Canadian truck I will not complete the pass unless there is a vehicle close enough behind me to keep the Canadian from jumping over 3 feet off my bumper .
When it comes to driver safety I'll trust a Mexican over a Canadian any day .

They are just trying to mimic their US brothers...;)...cuz on the flip side lately I've seen some terrible US trucks out there...and very bad driving..

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
another point in this matter that is mentioned almost every time is equal opportunity. to me that is the first and biggest issue that needs to be addressed. without that being resolved dont even proceed with the rest cause it dont matter. i realize none of us want to go to mexico. they keep saying we have the same opportunity as the mexican trucks. when really we dont. no, we cant guarantee safety here in the usa but its a pretty good assumption mexican truckers are not going to get kidnapped, hijacked, killed by cartel, or arrested for a bogus charge and be thrown in jail. or tear their trucks up on inferior roads. i know ours are not great. but come on, till we can go in and out of there with the same assumption dont even proceed with the cross border program. tats mexico's problem to deal with not ours. our government should be as worried about our safety across the border as they are about our safety here in the usa. and we all know what lengths they are going to here to make us safe.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
you really think that'll pass a scale inspection..?

EnglishLady...really? if the trucks are up to US and Can standards...do you think they can run for .13 a mile?...I think not...

Besides...Mexican cargo vans are already here...have been for some time..

Scale inspection? They don't need no stinkin scale inspection! Do you know how easy it is to route yourself around a scale? Until they finally DO get caught, what kind of damage is possible with that loose tie-rod end? Those missing lug nuts? That faulty wiring? I, for one, don't want to see it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Scale inspection? They don't need no stinkin scale inspection! Do you know how easy it is to route yourself around a scale? Until they finally DO get caught, what kind of damage is possible with that loose tie-rod end? Those missing lug nuts? That faulty wiring? I, for one, don't want to see it.

And Americans don't already do that?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Safety concerns aside, what would an influx of Mexican trucks do to the rates? That seems like a pretty big concern to me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Safety concerns aside, what would an influx of Mexican trucks do to the rates? That seems like a pretty big concern to me.

Why? what does expedite in a CV have to do with truckload or LtL? there are already Mexican vans up here doing expedite..

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter

1. It will drive the rates way down with fuel going up. Supply and demand..the mexican trucks will create more supply period

2. Think getting loads out of texas is hard now??? Just wait!

3. This is not a two way street! This is different then allowing the Canadian in because US trucks can go into Canada. Us and Candian trucks can't (and shouldn't) go into Mexico!

4. You think the Mexican companies will have to abide by CSA2010? Unfair advantage!

This is BAD for Expedite and trucking period!

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
1. It will drive the rates way down with fuel going up. Supply and demand..the mexican trucks will create more supply period

2. Think getting loads out of texas is hard now??? Just wait!

3. This is not a two way street! This is different then allowing the Canadian in because US trucks can go into Canada. Us and Candian trucks can't (and shouldn't) go into Mexico!

4. You think the Mexican companies will have to abide by CSA2010? Unfair advantage!

This is BAD for Expedite and trucking period!

I repeat..what does this have to do with expedite?

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I repeat..what does this have to do with expedite?

These Mexican carriers are not going to run teams?

It may not affect cargo vans as much, but it will hurt the team tractor trailers IMO, maybe even str8 trucks.

Plus it's supply and demand, that hot semi or str8 load from Detroit to Laredo now could be run by a mexican team for half the price as a backhaul... they may even take your skid that would go on your van for a buck a mile just to get back....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The more trucks you add to the system regardless of the size or origin will certainly be a drag on rates.
As mentioned, it is supply and demand.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i made a comment earlier in this post about equal opportunity. still seems to me to be the first and most important issue that needs to be resolved. i know nobody will go to mexico, well not many o/o, mainly larger truckload carriers and then just across the border as they do now. with that said, seems to be a good arguing point to put a hold on the whole program. the government mexico wannabe's seem to think they will come up we will go down all in the name of economic opportunity. what they need to be addressing to the mexican government is the safety issue. one point they cannot deny is an issue. they are dealing with it on a grand scale everyday. this should be a point of why at this time this cant be done and that tariffs placed on imports are not proper if they cannot provide a reasonable expectation of safety while in their country.

this is just my thought on a point that i think is being grossly overlooked. put out of the big picture if you will. this point is a major one if true cross border trucking is going to equal the same plan as we currently have with our northern neighbors.

would it not be nice to go to mexico on a long trip if things down there were comparable to going to canada. safe, good roads, places to fuel and different than up north, warm all the time and no snow. loads into and out of would be a pleasure. but as it is now they are not even a thought. there is also the economic difference which is a whole other subject.