May locations with banter

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I m betting on the wastegate sticking open then slowly closing...Steve is that vacuum operated by a big vacuum operated actuator or set to open at a pre-determined exhaust flow pressure??

Dennis,

It's not vacuum, it's an electronic actuator. Early models used a vacuum transducer that was located behind the drivers side headlight. When they put the turbo resonator unit in the 2004 models, everything went electronic. It's feasible that the actuator is failing since there is a rubber "O" ring on it that gets hard but I would think that the tech that looked at it today would have thought of that. Also, I seem to remember that a code would be set if the actuator arm was not moving properly.

If he had a turbo problem, a code would have been set and the ECM would put him in limp in mode.

Ken called me last night, and from what he told me I would look for a broken baffle in the muffler. He no longer hears a "Bang" that only happened once, and was probably the baffle breaking. The hum he hears I suspect is the baffle vibrating as the exhaust pressure builds. Once it is at it's peak, the vibration backs off.

He has full power, no check engine light, no trans issues, just the noise. Given that the muffler is the original with close to 450k on it, That's the first place I would look.

I told Ken to just let them listen and see what they say. If they come up with something else, I told him to have them tap on the muffler with a hammer. If the muffler rattles, BINGO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dennis,

It's not vacuum, it's an electronic actuator. Early models used a vacuum transducer that was located behind the drivers side headlight. When they put the turbo resonator unit in the 2004 models, everything went electronic. It's feasible that the actuator is failing since there is a rubber "O" ring on it that gets hard but I would think that the tech that looked at it today would have thought of that. Also, I seem to remember that a code would be set if the actuator arm was not moving properly.

If he had a turbo problem, a code would have been set and the ECM would put him in limp in mode.

Ken called me last night, and from what he told me I would look for a broken baffle in the muffler. He no longer hears a "Bang" that only happened once, and was probably the baffle breaking. The hum he hears I suspect is the baffle vibrating as the exhaust pressure builds. Once it is at it's peak, the vibration backs off.

He has full power, no check engine light, no trans issues, just the noise. Given that the muffler is the original with close to 450k on it, That's the first place I would look.

I told Ken to just let them listen and see what they say. If they come up with something else, I told him to have them tap on the muffler with a hammer. If the muffler rattles, BINGO.
That would be 611k there sir....on the original...;)

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Party pooper...I was feelin a little frisky this morning...till you said that..lol

Good morning....and STILL don't have your new number?

I get a little frisky after a pot if coffee, then it wears me out so I have to take a nap! Lol

Number is still the same. Just had a little dump phone melt down. Not as smart as it thinks it is! Lol

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
When is that sprinter due....there has been a slight uptick in loads...

July or August. I did go look at a 2010 170 wb yesterday. I got a really great deal on the one I ordered with everything I want and its an extended. So for a 2k less difference for the 2010, I'm gonna wait for the 2011 I ordered and get what I want. Hopefully by then everything will be back to blow and go.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

guido4475

Not a Member
I think that scale needs recalibrated. It looked more like 900# to me. :p

It actaully will be 3/4 full,once I get done needing the tools I brought from home to do the needed modifications to the new one, which is where I am at, waiting for them to finish installing the cruise..Somewhat dissapointed in it, bought it sight unseen, which wasnt the smartest thing to do, but time was and is a factor.The box will need painted, the finish is crappy.But I painted a FRP box before with Rust-Oleaum and a mohair roller with perfect results, no roller marks.Cab and fiberglass fairing finish is nice and shiny.It appears to have a new roll-up door on it, and all hardware.Underneath is okay, some rust.Huge gas tank in the rear, unsure of the capacity.Tires are one size too big, should be 245's according to the door sticker, has 265's on it.May throw off the speedo a little.And odometer.Inside is nice.It'll work, and be real nice, with a little work, not bad for a minimum investment, without being married to a payment for too long.So I am thinking E-track on the floor, move the bulhead back, open up that opening, and tires, and it should be ready to go.Tires can possibly wait for awile, but not too long.A very good alternative to a Sprinter.Funny thing is, In my old van, I got 20.3 mpg coming out here, empty, without anything in it.Amazing what extra weight will do, and that was running 70 mph for most of the way.Now I gotta figure out what I do and don't need to keep the new one light at all cost....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Laura, don't worry about Tracy runnin solo, as you do Gods work with yor friend, he will provide...what a great friend you are...God Bless and you and your friend are in my prayers..

Steve the broken baffle does sound reasonable ...and I really don't want to know about Kens "hanging" things...thats "banter" and not needed..:D

Guido, get a weight slip for that thimg EMPTY, before you do a thing to it, including putting gas in it...weight it EMPTY...if the tread is good on those tires, forgetaboutit...add the e-track and get it on the road and work on the rest as you go....oh, Congrats...

Made an empty move from Florence Ky to Seymour In last night..heading to Indy for a pickup goin to Taylor....:)

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Steve the broken baffle does sound reasonable ...and I really don't want to know about Kens "hanging" things...thats "banter" and not needed..:D

Glad I went to bed before I read it. I have too many nightmares as it is.:D