Jack Kevorkian dies

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Told my wife that Jack passed away today, she asked me if he had any help......

That woman has a very dry sense of humor at times.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Stamp, lol that is exactly what my husband Tracy asked me. Guess they have the same sense humor, lol.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My point is he seen people suffering as I watched my grandparents suffer a.long agonizing death....is intentions were to stop and help the suffering..now because of what he did it might.of messed.up things for the cause...I'm aware of that...what gets me is he tried to help people....stop there suffering..

Well see I too have seen suffering but also know first hand the ramifications of "Jack's" crusade which make me angry when people try to justify his work as humanitarian. It should only be between a patient and their doctor - no one else which "jack" brought the law and the public into it.

now because Greg don't agree with tactics he wishes bad things on the man....

Yes I don't agree with his tactics, it is the same thing that is used by terrorist as far as I can see - scare the public into reacting and force changes to be made that jeopardize others who he was not concerned about.

what the hell has Greg done.to.help out mankind...society...besides sitting here spewing his opinions...

I hell of a lot more than killing people. If you want details I can provide them but that's not the point.

All I said his.I hope that when he gets old and is suffering and is drooling on himself...can't even wipe his own a@# and is terminally ill ...well to bad so.sad....deal.with it ...suffer....

If that time comes, and I do expect it to come, I want to make that decision with my doctor and only my doctor. BUT now I can't. I have to find a doctor who is willing to risk going to jail to end my suffering which is what "Jack" did. I can't freely choose where I want to die nor can I choose the time - all gone because some bitter old man decided to screw it all up for all of us.

Jack helped a lot of people!!!

Where?

Michigan and other states passed laws making assisted suicide a crime, like murder so where was the help?

Ok what should have jack done then ?? How should he have went about this???

NOT getting involved in the first place.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Speaking of "off" subject. Mules aren't stubborn :p they are smart. They wont do something new until their sure it wont hurt them. Plus what about poor old Marshall Dillon.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I am amazed that his death has generated six pages of comments. I think this might be a record for the loading dock. Jerry Lee

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Actually, there seems to be about 39 posts that have nothing to do with good old Jack:rolleyes:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My mother suffered her last two years on earth.she out lived 3 Drs that gave her 6 months to live,but she prayed everyday to die her last 2 years. If you want to suffer like that,well I dont.As Greg said,Its between my Dr and me

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
It is a split decision in my mind on Dr. Jack, but he did pave the way for the "Living Will" as we know it today. I thank God every day that there was such a document in force as my husband lay in ICU on a ventilator...and, being his patient advocate, no one on his medical team nor extended family could deny my request to remove him as per his legal wishes. Without such paperwork, which the wording has changed dramatically since Kevorkian came to town, I would have had one legal fight on my hands; maybe not so much with the medical staff, but satellite family members who saw him once a year at the family reunion. Dr. Kevorkian's actions helped expose loopholes in Living Wills (also known as Primary Care Directives) that made it easy for my husband to get what he needed in said situation.

And I don't EVER want to have to do that again...but I can if I HAVE to.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a split decision in my mind on Dr. Jack, but he did pave the way for the "Living Will" as we know it today. I thank God every day that there was such a document in force as my husband lay in ICU on a ventilator...and, being his patient advocate, no one on his medical team nor extended family could deny my request to remove him as per his legal wishes. Without such paperwork, which the wording has changed dramatically since Kevorkian came to town, I would have had one legal fight on my hands; maybe not so much with the medical staff, but satellite family members who saw him once a year at the family reunion. Dr. Kevorkian's actions helped expose loopholes in Living Wills (also known as Primary Care Directives) that made it easy for my husband to get what he needed in said situation.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

I'm sure it was the hardest decision you ever had to make, and may I say, May God Bless his soul.

However, I was and is not opposed to Dr Jacks message, just his methods and constent need to be in the spotlight.

It needs to be handled in a more dignified manner.
IMHO

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You folks know that I have Emphysema, which is progressive, and it the end, terminal, although it may take many years. I know how this book ends, so to speak, and an assisted suicide would be a blessing. I have my Health Care POA and End of Life Directives in place, and on file, at the Courthouse. My wishes are well know to both family and friends, and, hopefully, will be carried out.

Mike

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I'm sure it was the hardest decision you ever had to make, and may I say, May God Bless his soul.

However, I was and is not opposed to Dr Jacks message, just his methods and constent need to be in the spotlight.

It needs to be handled in a more dignified manner.
IMHO

Oh for SURE. He had a viable concept. However, I remember the last one he performed and it was so questionable in its intent and execution (no pun intended) that his attorney at that time, Geoffrey Fieger, who had won every case up to that point, bailed. Atty. Fieger even went public and said Jack had crossed the line. Kevorkian just didn't know when to stop. His last 'patient' had not exhausted all avenues of conventional medical treatments before seeking assistance of Dr. Jack...and THAT was supposed to be part of the deal.

BeecherKen

Active Expediter

I knew your husband died, I heard it through the facebook grapevine. I didn't know it was like THAT. I remember him, when you two were dating. Such a nice man, funny guy. Obviously taken way too soon. Sorry isn't the right word. Check your PMs. Got one for ya.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well see I too have seen suffering but also know first hand the ramifications of "Jack's" crusade which make me angry when people try to justify his work as humanitarian. It should only be between a patient and their doctor - no one else which "jack" brought the law and the public into it.

I don't understand: Jack was doing what many people wanted done, [and many doctors agreed to do], but it had to be secretly done, because it was illegal.
So if the doctors and people wanted the law changed, how did Jack mess it up?

Yes I don't agree with his tactics, it is the same thing that is used by terrorist as far as I can see - scare the public into reacting and force changes to be made that jeopardize others who he was not concerned about.
Scare the public? Force changes? I'm not seeing that - if the people wanted assisted suicide, [and they do, as is evident by the number of doctors who have been 'helping' all along], what are they scared of?
It sounds to me as if it's the doctors who were scared - scared to admit they'd been breaking the law for a long time.

I hell of a lot more than killing people. If you want details I can provide them but that's not the point.

If that time comes, and I do expect it to come, I want to make that decision with my doctor and only my doctor. BUT now I can't. I have to find a doctor who is willing to risk going to jail to end my suffering which is what "Jack" did. I can't freely choose where I want to die nor can I choose the time - all gone because some bitter old man decided to screw it all up for all of us.

That doctor risked jail before Jack came along, didn't he?

Where?

Michigan and other states passed laws making assisted suicide a crime, like murder so where was the help?

NOT getting involved in the first place.

So, just keep forcing doctors to break the law, is that it? The law needs to be changed, and that's what Jack tried to do, isn't it? If he lobbied for the change, how many years would it take, and how many people would suffer for that?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh for SURE. He had a viable concept. However, I remember the last one he performed and it was so questionable in its intent and execution (no pun intended) that his attorney at that time, Geoffrey Fieger, who had won every case up to that point, bailed. Atty. Fieger even went public and said Jack had crossed the line. Kevorkian just didn't know when to stop. His last 'patient' had not exhausted all avenues of conventional medical treatments before seeking assistance of Dr. Jack...and THAT was supposed to be part of the deal.

Methinks a better deal for the patient would have allowed them to die when they had exhausted all their own resources, not conventional medical treatments - I've seen folks kept alive for no reason except that it could be done. In great pain, or unconscious, and at great expense, I might add - that matters a LOT to whomever has to pay for the effort.
And I've seen Health Care Directives [such as a Do Not Resuscitate order] disregarded, both inadvertently and deliberately.