Jack Kevorkian dies

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Assisted suicide advocate Kevorkian dies at age 83
By COREY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Corey Williams, Associated Press – 8 mins ago

DETROIT – Assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian died in a Detroit area hospital following a short illness at the age of 83, according to a close friend and prominent attorney.

Kevorkian died at 2:30 a.m. Friday after being hospitalized at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak since last month with pneumonia and kidney problems, his attorney Mayer Morganroth said.

An official cause of death had not been determined, but Morganroth said it likely will be pulmonary thrombosis.

"I had seen him earlier and he was conscious," said Morganroth, who added that the two spoke about Kevorkian's pending release from the hospital and planned start of rehabilitation. "Then I left and he took a turn for the worst and I went back."

Nurses at the hospital played recordings of classical music by composer Johann Sebastian Bach for Kevorkian before he died, Morganroth said.

Kevorkian was released from a Michigan prison in 2007 after serving eight years for second-degree murder. He claims to have assisted in at least 130 suicides.

In 2008, he ran for Congress as an independent, receiving just 2.7 percent of the vote in the suburban Detroit district. He said his experience showed the party system was "corrupt" and "has to be completely overhauled from the bottom up."

His life story became the subject of the 2010 HBO movie, "You Don't Know Jack," which earned actor Al Pacino Emmy and Golden Globe awards for his portrayal of Kevorkian. Pacino paid tribute to Kevorkian during his Emmy acceptance speech and recognized the world-famous former doctor, who sat smiling in the audience.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The religious right and superstition sometimes get in the way. If somebody does not wish to live anymore, it's their personal decision, and only theirs. Politics, religion, or your personal philosophy should not play a part in a persons right to die.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Thank God he is gone. For the damage he has done, I hope his next stop is down.

Wow...lots of anger there....let's see ..hmmmmm if my dog was suffering horribly and I did not put him to sleep people would go wtf....BUT grandma is suffering...f her...she has to live!!
Jack.kervorkian was a pioneer...a great man !!!!!!!...helped alot of people !!!! I hope YOU GREG get old and suffer real LONG like these people did.....guess what my opinion...just like ALL you opinions you spew around here!!!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow...lots of anger there....let's see ..hmmmmm if my dog was suffering horribly and I did not put him to sleep people would go wtf....BUT grandma is suffering...f her...she has to live!!
Jack.kervorkian was a pioneer...a great man !!!!!!!...helped alot of people !!!! I hope YOU GREG get old and suffer real LONG like these people did.....guess what my opinion...just like ALL you opinions you spew around here!!!

A great man? I'm not so sure about that.

The right to die is a noble idea, but the way Dr Death "helped" was deplorable.

I have more respect for those that get involved in the system, than renagades.

Just my opinion.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The religious right and superstition sometimes get in the way. If somebody does not wish to live anymore, it's their personal decision, and only theirs. Politics, religion, or your personal philosophy should not play a part in a persons right to die.

Exactly...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Look I've justified my feelings in the past.

He has nothing to do with there right to die issue other than screwing it up for those doctors and patients who had the protection of privacy afforded to them by the system until he stripped it all away. His cause wasn't to fix anything but to screw with a system that worked for people because of what his sister went through. His inablity as a doctor to help her suffering was the cause of his own hatred toward other medical professionals.

If you think my passion for privacy between a doctor and a patient is unjustified, than you need to see who suffered because of him and his twisted crusade.

I just hope they don't make this idiot a saint.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
MY Dad died last August and Mom died last month on the 18th. Mom had cancer, lungs,and colon. She was given medication for pain and did not have the suffering we see on tv and such. Near the end she was given meds to relax her and she stayed asleep 99 pct of the time. My sister and I were there alot and made sure she was comfortable. Hospice was a great help and Mom just died in her sleep. I dont think I could put my parents to sleep by lethal injection, there are other ways to make ur loved one comfortable. Mom was 89 and Dad was 91.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MY Dad died last August and Mom died last month on the 18th. Mom had cancer, lungs,and colon. She was given medication for pain and did not have the suffering we see on tv and such. Near the end she was given meds to relax her and she stayed asleep 99 pct of the time. My sister and I were there alot and made sure she was comfortable. Hospice was a great help and Mom just died in her sleep. I dont think I could put my parents to sleep by lethal injection, there are other ways to make ur loved one comfortable. Mom was 89 and Dad was 91.

God Bless their souls.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hope YOU GREG get old and suffer real LONG like these people did.....guess what my opinion...just like ALL you opinions you spew around here!!!
Perhaps that's one opinion you should have kept to yourself, or confined to a PM.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Perhaps that's one opinion you should have kept to yourself, or confined to a PM.

Why....Greg voiced his opinion that jack kervorkian should go to hell ....I voiced mine..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why....Greg voiced his opinion that jack kervorkian should go to hell ....I voiced mine..

Two very emotional opinions from both sides of the issue for sure....

We are kinder to our pets then we are towards our human loved ones...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Doesn't change my opinion that yours should have been voiced to yourself, or confined to a PM. Greg voiced his opinion about Jack, which is the topic of the thread, and if you wanted to voice you opinion about Jack as well, that would be fine, but you voiced yours about Greg, instead. Yours was out of line and uncalled for because Greg is an EO member, whereas Jack is not. If you cannot deal with Greg's opinions in a professional, or at least a civil manner, then don't read them, or if that isn't practical, I will be willing to walk you through setting Greg's status to IGNORE so you won't have to burdened with seeing his posts in the first place.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are kinder to our pets then we are towards our human loved ones...

It's not the idea of "Right to Die" that we are opposed to, it was Kevorkians method.

He set the cause back with his methods and his pokes at the laws.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Doesn't change my opinion that yours should have been voiced to yourself, or confined to a PM. Greg voiced his opinion about Jack, which is the topic of the thread, and if you wanted to voice you opinion about Jack as well, that would be fine, but you voiced yours about Greg, instead. Yours was out of line and uncalled for because Greg is an EO member, whereas Jack is not. If you cannot deal with Greg's opinions in a professional, or at least a civil manner, then don't read them, or if that isn't practical, I will be willing to walk you through setting Greg's status to IGNORE so you won't have to burdened with seeing his posts in the first place.
p

Im out of line....he wished a man to hell..

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It's not the idea of "Right to Die" that we are opposed to, it was Kevorkians method.

He set the cause back with his methods and his pokes at the laws.

I'm glad everybody is so perfect...YOU never make mistakes....he was trying to help people....