It's Sad What Happened at FedEx CC

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"I thought that when you were there you were more than happy to be treated as a number, and cared not about any type of personal contact?"

This is your original statement, it is not qualified as to the number of people who would feel that way. I might have said, "I wonder why some people would not care about being treated like a number"

The "never mind" part was not meant as you took it. I worded it badly. I meant it more as the entire discussion was not important so I was letting it drop.

I think the word "you" qualifies it quite nicely. It's not a big deal at all , although I'd feel better if you banned yourself for 48 hrs. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the word "you" qualifies it quite nicely. It's not a big deal at all , although I'd feel better if you banned yourself for 48 hrs. :p

If I banned myself for 48 hours who would you have to pick on? I DO have a purpose in here you know! :D

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

We still talk to friends at FedEx Custom Critical and I learned something today that left me feeling sad. A friend said that the wall outside the orientation room has changed such that the years-of-service recognition plaques have been taken down. Contractors who used to be recognized for 10, 15, 20 and more years of faithful service with their names on that display are no longer recognized in that manner

I was told my pic was on that wall. If so, I can understand why it was removed. Probably scarred people off.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Laurence used to use a sig line that went something like.

Some company's refer to there contractors as a number. At XYZ you are A ,-:;+=!@#$.
(or something like that} I loved that line!.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told my pic was on that wall. If so, I can understand why it was removed. Probably scarred people off.
Is that why your old avatar was a picture of you wearing a paper bag over your head?
icon10.gif

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I thought that when you were there you were more than happy to be treated as a number, and cared not about any type of personal contact?
Why on earth would you care about the inner workings of a former company you leased to? :confused:

You do not have it quite right. I have said many times that I expected to be treated like a number and that the advantage in that was fair play in dispatch because everyone else was treated like a number too. Whether someone had been there 10 years or ten days did not matter. All trucks were treated the same in the dispatch order (no longer the case today).

I never said that I cared not about any type of personal contact.

Why would I care about the inner workings of a former company I leased to? Becasue I had an emotional attachment to the company when I was there and continue to have it, though the emotions are changing as time passes and the negatives fade further into the past.

Diane and I, once proud FedEx Custom Critical contractors, felt and continue to feel sad about how the company changed for the worse in recent years. It saddens me to see a manifestation of that with the disappearance of the recognition wall. I care because I know people who were proud to have their name on the wall. It's not so much about the inner workings of the company as it is about the continuing dehumanization (commoditization) of the contractor base.

Being treated like a number in the dispatch order is one thing. Seeing great contractor's names taken off the wall and thrown in the trash (presumably) is something different. Emotionally, that saddens me, and that's why it matters.

Last edited:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I for one, felt huge pride when, after driving for crook owners leased to the Fed, I went to work with Jordan Transport and went to training. Right up there was a large expensive looking plaque honoring them for their service. Makes the huge decision of change emboldened. In a former life as a nationally recognized speaker and trainee for a huge trade group such recognition seemed so important. Now just good pay for a decent job, respect and equipment maintenance does the warm and fuzzy for me :)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Former contractors should not rely on hearsay about their former company and what purpose is served when one cannot verify their posts on a public forum.

Since you are gone and cannot verify your facts you have this one wrong and do not know what is happening in the area of which you speak.

Longevity recognition will take on a different form in the future.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Former contractors should not rely on hearsay about their former company and what purpose is served when one cannot verify their posts on a public forum.

Since you are gone and cannot verify your facts you have this one wrong and do not know what is happening in the area of which you speak.

I know the recognition plaques have been removed because contractors who have seen the wall with their own eyes tell me so. The fact that I have not personally viewed the wall does not change the fact that the plaques have been removed, does it? I also know I feel sad about the plaques being removed.

It seems to me that on those two topics I know exactly of which I speak.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I will go with Phil's thinking in that one doesn't have to be with a carrier to observe or understand certain events.
In the interest of eliminating hearsay, it would be beneficial for those concerned for you to describe the "different form" coming in the future.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sotm4211 is also right they are repainting and remodeling...

Can you just give us the full story?

I have been told the plaques are gone. You say longevity recognition will take a different form in the future.

What exactly is the status of the plaques? We seem to be in agreement that they were taken down. Where are the plaques now? Will they be put back up? If they are put back up, will they be updated to show contractors who recently crossed the recognized time periods (we saw the wall go stale when we were there)?

If the plaques are not put back up on the wall, what will happen to them or what has happened to them? This different form of longevity recognition that you say is coming in the future, do you know yet what it is or what options have been considered? If not, when will you know, and can we count on you then to tell those of us who are interested?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Different people like different ways of being recognized. I could care less about my name and or pic being on a wall, long as I am treated as a adult, get a occasional 'thank you'.

I agree with you, but to put an emphasis on it by posting it in a forum when you are not a contractor makes it look like a big deal to some. I think thank you and being treated as adults are more important issues.

Greg, it's like you having "1st member of 10,000 post club" in your signature. You want recognition of that fact, which is fine, as well.

Me, I wouldn't have it, don't want people to think I don't have a life beyond this site :D

I only do that because I was trashed by some who think this is about post count, so I play along but I could give a crap because I have yet to get anything out of it from this site - not even a tee shirt:confused:

Life beyond this site - pfffff ... please, we all know I live in a cave with a net book and a long long wire to the nearest building that has internet access.

All trucks were treated the same in the dispatch order (no longer the case today).

When were they all treated the same?

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes you have remember that it's not a love affair it's all about business and as long as you're making them money and not causing them any problems you're good...mess up and you're out of there!

Had a friend that called corperate office and told them he wanted to cancel his contract! he expected them to say why? but only received instructions on what he had to do in regards to turning in all the company stuff....this kind of hurt my friends feelings when he realized just what he meant to the company.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

So what your saying Linda and Bob is the wall with peoples service with Robert Express/ FedEx Custom Critical wasn't taken down?

Never mind. I seen your reply.

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
A friend said that the wall outside the orientation room has changed such that the years-of-service recognition plaques have been taken down. Contractors who used to be recognized for 10, 15, 20 and more years of faithful service with their names on that display are no longer recognized in that manner.
That kinda sounds like an employee thing. Next thing you know someone will be cryin about not gettin a gold watch when they quit.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Why is this important?

Does it make people more money or somehow improve their service?

So I would think it doesn't matter because FedEx isn't there to make superstars but have them do a job.

So it doesn't matter about your 18,000 posts and EO shouldn't post that Greg334 is post master of EO. I think you should be shown as the top Poster Greg334 as it's a great thing. Just as all the people have that gave their time and service to Roberts Express/FedEx Custom Critical. Hey it's a very positive thing for people to see. It shows that the company cares and respects their drivers and owner operators. Just as EO is thankful to have Greg334 as their Post Master. You should be very PROUD of that Greg. It also shows that you care and likes to help others when you can. Do I always agree with you? Nope, but for the most part you do a good job. Just as Phil Madsen does a great job on EO and Expedite Now magazine.