It's Sad What Happened at FedEx CC

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regular readers know Diane and I left FedEx Custom Critical for Landstar a couple of months ago. The longer we are gone, the less often we think about our former carrier, and the less things matter that motivated us to leave. Those issues were resolved by leaving and as time passes the emotions fade.

We still talk to friends at FedEx Custom Critical and I learned something today that left me feeling sad. A friend said that the wall outside the orientation room has changed such that the years-of-service recognition plaques have been taken down. Contractors who used to be recognized for 10, 15, 20 and more years of faithful service with their names on that display are no longer recognized in that manner.

Diane and I were not there long enough to get our names on that wall but we always enjoyed viewing the names of others who earned that recognition. We noticed that the wall had not been kept up in recent years and hoped it would be revived. Learning today that all plaques are gone left me feeling sad.

It seems a shame that a company that once saw fit to recognize these contractors, in this dignified and public manner, no longer does so.

Yes it would take some staff time and trophy shop expense to keep up the wall, but would that be too much to ask given the years of faithful service some really great contractors provided to earn a spot there?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With all the changes, maybe those people are no longer there?
Just a thought.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
With all the changes, maybe those people are no longer there?
Just a thought.

If many of these people have now left as well, it may now seem silly to have a wall of recognition. It may be that there is now only a "shelf of recognition."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If many of these people have now left as well, it may now seem silly to have a wall of recognition. It may be that there is now only a "shelf of recognition."

Obviously, it is not up to me, but if it was, I would maintain the wall and would leave up forever the names of people who had given ten or more years of their lives to helping the company succeed. Even if they left for competitors, even if they were terminated, I would continue to recognize the contribution these people made when they were in good standing.

Think of the powerful message that wall used to communicate to new recruits as they passed by it on the way to the orientation room. They used to see dozens of people who saw fit to sign on with the company and stay for many years.

I guess its a message the company no longer cares to send.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Obviously, it is not up to me, but if it was, I would maintain the wall and would leave up forever the names of people who had given ten or more years of their lives to helping the company succeed. Even if they left for competitors, even if they were terminated, I would continue to recognize the contribution these people made when they were in good standing.

Think of the powerful message that wall used to communicate to new recruits as they passed by it on the way to the orientation room. They used to see dozens of people who saw fit to sign on with the company and stay for many years.

I guess its a message the company no longer cares to send.

Unfortunately, many don't want to answer the question of "Where are they now?" When that new recruit asks to talk with that veteran of ten years that's listed on the wall, it doesn't look good when of a ten year vet they have to say, "Uh yeah, well he's at Joe Blow Expedite now." It's one thing to explain the turnover of the one and two year vets. It's another thing when the "pillars" start leaving.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
have to agree with Jefferson, I'm sure they don't want to answer questions about people who are no longer there. But I'm sure not all long time people have left, so it's sad that FedEx doesn't continue to recognize them.

But then again, this is the 1st company that I can recall that doesn't ask why a person is leaving. Most large companies at least ask why, some even will schedule a exit interview. I know, that is usually more so for a employee, but when I left Tri-State in '97, the recruiter asked me in for a sit down, for coffee, while Qcomm was being removed, and I was contracted with a electronics company for a couple of years, was taken to lunch when I left there, for a exit interview.

The owner of the truck I just bought has had it on with FedEx for close to 5 years, but when he told them, all he got was "Oh, Ok".

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why is this important?

Does it make people more money or somehow improve their service?

So I would think it doesn't matter because FedEx isn't there to make superstars but have them do a job.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe because in a General forum, subjects don't have to be important? They can be comments, observations, whatever?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was there 25 years,but it wasnt continous service,so I was never on the wall,but for those that were on the wall and are still there,it would be upsetting to have the wall taken down.Greg,just as people like to be recognized for safe driving,some would like to see there name in lights for working at the same place for many years.Even Tri State has a similar wall

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought that when you were there you were more than happy to be treated as a number, and cared not about any type of personal contact?
Why on earth would you care about the inner workings of a former company you leased to? :confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
being recognized is one thing but being put on a wall?

My carrier send me letters in the mail, I get into the newsletter and every year I get this great big package in the mail with all kinds of fun stuff I enjoy. I don't want to be on a wall but want the company to treat me fairly and without the fanfare.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
being recognized is one thing but being put on a wall?

My carrier send me letters in the mail, I get into the newsletter and every year I get this great big package in the mail with all kinds of fun stuff I enjoy. I don't want to be on a wall but want the company to treat me fairly and without the fanfare.

Different people like different ways of being recognized. I could care less about my name and or pic being on a wall, long as I am treated as a adult, get a occasional 'thank you'.

Greg, it's like you having "1st member of 10,000 post club" in your signature. You want recognition of that fact, which is fine, as well.

Me, I wouldn't have it, don't want people to think I don't have a life beyond this site :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I thought that when you were there you were more than happy to be treated as a number, and cared not about any type of personal contact?"

What in the world would make you think that? :confused: I have little doubt that some may not mind being treated like a number. I also have little doubt that why someone leases with a company or then changes to one, is a bit more involved than that one single aspect.

If I owned a company I would take great pride in knowing that I could keep people on board for years. That would go double in an industry noted for high turnover. Then again, if I owned such a company I don't think I would take it public. I think I would prefer to determine the direction and size of it based on my values and not that of a stockholder or broker.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"I thought that when you were there you were more than happy to be treated as a number, and cared not about any type of personal contact?"

What in the world would make you think that? :confused: I have little doubt that some may not mind being treated like a number.

He said so himself.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

This is your original statement, it is not qualified as to the number of people who would feel that way. I might have said, "I wonder why some people would not care about being treated like a number"

The "never mind" part was not meant as you took it. I worded it badly. I meant it more as the entire discussion was not important so I was letting it drop.