It's Cold This Weekend! Where Are You?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm basking like a lizard in the Phoenix sun, oh yeah!:p But I earned it - first delivering in Aspen, at the X Games, (almost worth the 47 ft of snow), then picking up in Denver last night, when it was truly nasty: near whiteout blizzard conditions on 70.
Now I'm hiding, till I get the truck washed - it's filthier than I've ever seen it.:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle - I am realyy glad to hear that the Espar Heater is working for you in that brutal cold!
How is the fuel consuption on it?

It's gotten a little colder now, about 6 degrees F.
36_2_40.gif

The wind is a booger. Flags are stiff, probably 20 or 30 MPH sustained. Don't know that the wind chill is, but it's not pleasant (if I were to get out in it, that is).

When it gets really cold like this, single digits down to about -10 below zero, the Espar will go through as much as .09 to .10 gallons per hour, or about 1 gallon every 10 to 11 hours. Most of the winter when it's above 20 up to 40 degrees, it goes through 1 gallon every 15-18 hours.

Two things at work here. One is, the van is very well insulated, so it's gonna be easy to heat up and keep heated, which requires minimal fuel. The other thing is (and it's in direct opposition to the first one), I'm nekkid and I like it warm in here and I generally sleep on top of the covers rather than under them, so that's gonna require more fuel than someone who likes to lounge in the van while wearing pants and a sweater, maybe shoes. :D

When you idle to keep warm, and if you keep the idling to just 8 hours a day, at $3.50 a gallon and burning fuel at 1 gallon an hour, it'll cost $28 a day to keep warm, $840 a month. Team drivers will idle less than that, solo drivers considerably more, usually, over the course of a week on the average.

I average about $6 a day in fuel costs with the Espar, or about $180 a month.

That's a difference of $660 a month. An Espar heater will cost between $1500 and $2000 depending on the model you get. It's a beautiful thing to see something that costs two grand pay for itself in 2-4 months, and then continue to pay you to the tune of $600 a month all winter long, every winter.

36_2_48.gif

Reactions: 1 person

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I was in MI on Friday got a call to go to Dayton TN , decided to DH 211 miles to Hendersonville NC to my home...
Need to Register Sprinter by end of month , forgot that MLK day is on Monday, Registry clossed .
Called my Roomate Friday night he said we were supoosed to get 1 to 4 Inches today ( Sat)
So far 8 pm and nothing but a few flakes...
Anyways... Good to sleep in my nice bed...

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
You know what would be funny? Go somewhere where the temp is like 10 for a high and gve a speech about Global Warming. That would be hilarious. I think AL Gore actually did that once in New York somewhere right after a blizzard, but I could be wrong. I better stop before this turns into something meant for the Soapbox Forum.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
IT is not global warming - it is called climate change. :p

Like the climate is supposed to stay the same all the time?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It's gotten a little colder now, about 6 degrees F.
36_2_40.gif

The wind is a booger. Flags are stiff, probably 20 or 30 MPH sustained. Don't know that the wind chill is, but it's not pleasant (if I were to get out in it, that is).

When it gets really cold like this, single digits down to about -10 below zero, the Espar will go through as much as .09 to .10 gallons per hour, or about 1 gallon every 10 to 11 hours. Most of the winter when it's above 20 up to 40 degrees, it goes through 1 gallon every 15-18 hours.

Two things at work here. One is, the van is very well insulated, so it's gonna be easy to heat up and keep heated, which requires minimal fuel. The other thing is (and it's in direct opposition to the first one), I'm nekkid and I like it warm in here and I generally sleep on top of the covers rather than under them, so that's gonna require more fuel than someone who likes to lounge in the van while wearing pants and a sweater, maybe shoes. :D

When you idle to keep warm, and if you keep the idling to just 8 hours a day, at $3.50 a gallon and burning fuel at 1 gallon an hour, it'll cost $28 a day to keep warm, $840 a month. Team drivers will idle less than that, solo drivers considerably more, usually, over the course of a week on the average.

I average about $6 a day in fuel costs with the Espar, or about $180 a month.

That's a difference of $660 a month. An Espar heater will cost between $1500 and $2000 depending on the model you get. It's a beautiful thing to see something that costs two grand pay for itself in 2-4 months, and then continue to pay you to the tune of $600 a month all winter long, every winter.

36_2_48.gif

Awesome story - where did you purchase your Espar Heater?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Awesome story - where did you purchase your Espar Heater?

From Ray up at Espar of Michigan in Romulus. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Cheapskate van fleet owners that won't put Espar heaters in their vans, and then let the drivers pay for fuel to idle all winter, should be beaten about the head and shoulders with a wet noodle until they cry, "Mommieee."
actionsmiley073.gif

kinilu57

Expert Expediter
We moved from Watertown, NY to Claysville, PA when the snow started flying. It is 16 degrees here at the moment...BRRRR....Hope some freight is moving Monday even though it is a Holiday.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm sitting in Salem, OH just a little east of Akron and I just checked thermostat and it said 9F. and the wind is blowing about 20mph. Had to turn down a load going to Phily, PA last night b/c I don't have one of those espar heaters. <<<Really, really wants one but doesn't have the money quite yet. Now I have to venture up to Boardman and check on wireless routers. That's going to be fun! Well, better get out and warm up the old car!

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
southeast burb of chicago 5 degrees -11 windchill,one of my drivers is enroute to roseau m.n for a mon del.I want to say it's -11 degrees with a -20 or so windchill,she quite a tropper.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It's holding at a steady 9 degrees here just south of Akron. I changed my oil & filter last night .... that was a real treat :( ..... open quart of oil, tip it up so it pours in and run back into the house while it drains. :D

I gotta go do the fuel filter in a little bit .... hopefully the sun will stay out. I fired up the Espar when I came back from the store a little bit ago so the QC will warm up and the display will at least be readable so I can reply to the Monday morning load offer Dispatch just called about.

At least the week will be starting off right. :)

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Explain it to me, as you would a child,
15_5_18.gif
'cause I'm stumped.
Sorry, I've got just a basic heater going didn't feel like freezing all night or burning gas. I was in Canada on Jan 2nd and my heater would barely keep the van warm. Still, gotta get me one of those heaters. It'll make things a little cozier.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Ran right thru the arctic blast to the other side:p
Chained over Cabbage this morning and am enjoying (finally) a balmy 40 degree west coast squat.

Attachments

• winter08 126.JPG
    winter08 126.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 20
  • winter08 127.JPG
    winter08 127.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Cynwinter08 056.JPG
    Cynwinter08 056.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 16
  • Cynwinter08 060.JPG
    Cynwinter08 060.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 16
  • winter08 122.JPG
    winter08 122.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 11

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Still sitting at the 201 Jackson, GA. It's chilly, but sure can't complain after seeing some of the other temps that are being dealt with.

Oh wait...yes I can, Cheri? Although you deserve those warm AZ temps after your trip....Razzzzzberries to ya! LOL:) Enjoy it girl!