How's it Going at Landstar?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Remembering back when I was with LEAM in 2003 you could only contact LEAM agents and were not allowed to take freight, LTL or not from any other agent. How things have changed. Adding that there were only 4o agents then.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So, if one have a valid fiscal card, they still might shred the applications do to other health issues ?

I am not well versed in Landstar's policies regarding driver health, but in general, yes, I believe it is true that in some cases Landstar will reject an application due to health issues, even if the driver holds a valid medical card (Medical Examiner Certificate) at the time.

I believe this is true because of a story told to me by another BCO. This BCO had a friend trying to get into Landstar but was unable to because full recovery from a prior medical condition could not be documented. I do not know what the condition was. The BCO's friend was driving for another company at the time and presumably had a valid medical card.

Health history is part of a Landstar application. I know from my own experience that while I submitted a copy of a valid medical card, the long form, in which your health history is disclosed, is closely scrutinized. Landstar wanted to know more about my health history and when I could not readily provide all the information they wanted (the name of a doctor from over a decade ago), my application went on hold. It took some digging through years-old records to get the application moving again.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know what Phil now that you over here i wish that you would knock it off. Thank You

OK ... that's direct and to the point.

Greg I'm not defending Phil and Diana ... but that is just they way it seems to come across from you Greg. If that is not your intent then I'm sorry.

Bruno (dave) I understand your point but you still missed mine. I was not bashing him, I stated positive corrective things in this thread that I would have done for any other BCO because now I feel he has a successful path and has more to offer than just talking about what he learns from others. I am asking questions because there are things that do not fit together but NO matter, others here who are with LS know what I'm saying/asking and why.

You honestly don't know how you could coach one of your friends through an application process?

Well I asked for a legit reason, unless you are with LS, then don't sit there, assume what I am asking about and why then call me a troll.

By the way, LEAM freight does appear on the internal board, but not too often. You can search for EXPD freight to find it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Landstar requires six months experience and some companies require a year to two years. And some require none for certain vehicles. I don't see where their requirements are way above the others? Maybe I am missing something?
We know several folks at Landstar and they didn't have to go through anything different than any other carrier.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They may have what I consider a hard qualifications level to meet which is really caused by the fact they won't give latitude to an applicant. It may seem that they may appear to be more stringent but they use a third party to screen the applicants and they have their own rules to follow. Knowing many who tried to get into the fleet and just couldn't meet that level for one reason or another, the same complaint was heard from all of them, it was just not going to happen.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am not well versed in Landstar's policies regarding driver health, but in general, yes, I believe it is true that in some cases Landstar will reject an application due to health issues, even if the driver holds a valid medical card (Medical Examiner Certificate) at the time.

I believe this is true because of a story told to me by another BCO. This BCO had a friend trying to get into Landstar but was unable to because full recovery from a prior medical condition could not be documented. I do not know what the condition was. The BCO's friend was driving for another company at the time and presumably had a valid medical card.

Health history is part of a Landstar application. I know from my own experience that while I submitted a copy of a valid medical card, the long form, in which your health history is disclosed, is closely scrutinized. Landstar wanted to know more about my health history and when I could not readily provide all the information they wanted (the name of a doctor from over a decade ago), my application went on hold. It took some digging through years-old records to get the application moving again.

To be honest with you Phil I don't know why LEAM is asking for more info on your heath. DOT regulations say ONLY a employer can ask for more things if your an employee. This was brought up a few months ago when a doctor was trying to push neck size and BMI when doing DOT physicals at a carrier. Your not an employee your a contractor, sounds to me like Landstar is walking the fine line of employee/contractor, I hope this is not the case.

Monty

Expert Expediter
To be honest with you Phil I don't know why LEAM is asking for more info on your heath. DOT regulations say ONLY a employer can ask for more things if your an employee. This was brought up a few months ago when a doctor was trying to push neck size and BMI when doing DOT physicals at a carrier. Your not an employee your a contractor, sounds to me like Landstar is walking the fine line of employee/contractor, I hope this is not the case.

As a condition of your lease contract with them, or any carrier/company, they can ask whatever they wish.

If you choose not to respond, it may be negoitable, it may not. And that contract may not be completed. Your call whether you wish to participate.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your not an employee your a contractor, sounds to me like Landstar is walking the fine line of employee/contractor, I hope this is not the case.

Compared to our former carrier, it is nowhere near the case that Landstar is walking a fine line between employee/contractor. The differences are profound.

With all the restrictions and requirements that our previous carrier had, contractors continued to be contractors. If that can be so there, it is many times more so here, given the greater freedom Landstar BCOs enjoy and the greater control they have over the means and manner of performing their work.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As a condition of your lease contract with them, or any carrier/company, they can ask whatever they wish.

If you choose not to respond, it may be negoitable, it may not. And that contract may not be completed. Your call whether you wish to participate.

That is true if your an Employee ONLY. Trust me on this one. I could care less what Landstar does. What I do care is when a carrier does things that is not within the laws that are set by DOT to be followed.

If your an employee a carrier can ask that you go get a sleep study done if the doctor feels your neck is too big. As a contractor they have to follow DOT regulations, The regulations say that only an employer can ask for more information on a employee. Look it up it's in the regulations.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Compared to our former carrier, it is nowhere near the case that Landstar is walking a fine line between employee/contractor. The differences are profound. Yet with all the restrictions and requirements our previous carrier had, contractors continued to be contractors.

Thanks Phil for clearing that up. I don't know as I'm not with Landstar. I'm sure if Diana is okay with it then it got to be okay.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Bruno,

If I decided to become a carrier and contract with say ten owner-operators to get started, I would be required by law to ensure that those contractors met DOT standards.

Now, if I also wanted to distinguish my company from many others by bringing only college-educated contractors on board and advertising that fact to the public, is there a law that says I cannot do that?

Same question with health issues. The DOT would require valid medical examiner certifictates of all my contractors. But if I also required them to pass a more stringent physical exam and pass the same physical capabilities test a firefighter applicant must pass, is there a law that says I cannot do that too?

There are minimimum standards the DOT sets up, but as long as additional standards are fairly applied to all applicants, I know of no law or rule that would prevent me as a carrier from setting higher standards.

Diane is jumping in here. She notes that when you fill out an application, it is a pre-employment event. You have no relationship with a carrier. You are niether a contractor or an employee.

Also, she notes, just because you have a current medical examiner's certificate, the carrier is not required to accept it at face value. They are well within their rights to ask for your medical history and question it as they wish. Note that many companies require applicants to get pre-employment physicals at medical providers not of the applicant's choice but of the company's.

It's not that simple since discrimination laws also apply. There are certain medical and lifestyle questions a company cannot ask, but in the interests of simplicity I'll stop here and trust that you get the gist.

The neck-size thing is not unimportant but it is a different issue.

Last edited:

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
T those of you following this post, please please take the time to talk to other Landstar BCO's before you consider making any sort of change. I can tell you that I find based on my time at Landstar the numbers posted are atypical. I have six trucks on with them and have run team so I have a frame of reference.

As you know one month does not a year make.... I will not say these numbers are incorrect, but I will say that for a new BCO to have this level of success is not something you can bank on.

I myself and all my drivers are happy in the Landstar system, we are there because of the way the company operates and interacts with its BCO's, not because it is vastly more lucrative then any other company. That is simply not the case.

I want anyone who comes to Landstar to be happy with the change, and if you have unreasonable expectations you will not be happy. The best thing to do is talk to the drivers out their, we are a small fleet but we are around. Sometimes sitting for days on end just like you. :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
"Ask not what your carrier can do for you,
ask what your carrier will do to your country "

they can have any applicators health standard as they wish, as long as they keep it to themselves.
problem is,
Landstar have a large stake in the ATA, and like many other carriers, that have had strikers health guidelines for some time now ,(Prim to name one), they are now on the front line of a federal mandated drivers fitness advocated .
what one needs to ask, is not what it will do to his own carrier, but what it will do to our industry.
as i stated here a few times before, there's a big difference between a voluntary drivers fitness program, and a federal mandated one, as it is being widely promoted by Landstar, through it's ATA voice.
the leveling the playing fields, (eliminating competition by regulations), will force many safe drivers into the welfare program.
and their family's.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
T those of you following this post, please please take the time to talk to other Landstar BCO's before you consider making any sort of change. I can tell you that I find based on my time at Landstar the numbers posted are atypical. I have six trucks on with them and have run team so I have a frame of reference.

As you know one month does not a year make.... I will not say these numbers are incorrect, but I will say that for a new BCO to have this level of success is not something you can bank on.

I myself and all my drivers are happy in the Landstar system, we are there because of the way the company operates and interacts with its BCO's, not because it is vastly more lucrative then any other company. That is simply not the case.

I want anyone who comes to Landstar to be happy with the change, and if you have unreasonable expectations you will not be happy. The best thing to do is talk to the drivers out their, we are a small fleet but we are around. Sometimes sitting for days on end just like you. :)

You can relax, sir. Diane and I have been generating good numbers for the better part of eight years, most of them with FedEx Custom Critical. I have written extensively about that experience and we have visited by phone and in person with countless prospective contractors about the FDCC opportunity.

While some of them got into the business after talking with us and/or reading my EO posts and blog, I don't know of a single one who jumped in based on that information alone. All of them checked additional sources and made decisions on their own.

Regarding our 30-day results being atypical, that may well be. Being new to Landstar, I don't have the frame of reference you have. Since you have a frame of reference, perhaps you can post some of your truck's numbers to round out the story. I have no numbers to post but our own. You say our numbers are atypical. What is typical?

I don't have the frame of reference you have, and by the same token, you don't have mine. It is not unusual for me to excel in a new endeavor. I did it in college, the army, politics and in Diane's and my first month at FedEx Custom Critical.

Given that frame of reference, it did not surprise me a bit that we generated strong numbers in this new-to-us LEAM endeavor. It would have surprised me if we had not.

As you correctly state, "...one month does not a year make." I said as much myself in the original post: "The results in the 30 day period mentioned below do not guarantee that we will have the same results in the next 30 days. We might do better. We might do worse. We are still very new and there is still much to learn at our new carrier."

While we grossed $31,000 in 30 days, kindly note that it is not our goal to do that every month. Frankly, we have interests beyond expediting and do not want to work that hard all the time. Comforted by our early success, we are content to back off the pace a bit and settle into a more fulfilling rhythm.

Regarding sitting, Diane and I are doing exactly that as I write this. Regular readers of my blog know this, just as they know of every truck breakdown, illness, period of unwanted down time and zero-revenue months we have had as expediters.

One month does not a year make, and one post does not a career describe. But four years of daily blog entries do describe a career.

Anyone who wants to know how Diane and I came to succeed as expediters can find that out by reading my blog.

Sample from today:

We woke up this morning at a freeway rest area in California, north of San Diego. The freight is slow today. We called a number of agents but none had anything for us. No offers came over the Qualcomm unit. Looking at the other LEAM trucks now in California, they are evenly spread out across the state. None seem to have moved far and all remain available to haul freight.

We do not have access to detailed information on each truck and it is possible that one truck moved out and a similar one moved into the same area. Still, that list of trucks seems quiet today.

When you sit and you want to be running, all sorts of crazy theories run through your mind. It's best to be patient and we are trying to do that. About a month ago, we were in Massachusetts having this same experience. What followed was one of the best 30 day periods we have had in expediting.

Saint Augustine prayed a famous prayer, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." An expediter might pray, "Lord, give me patience, and hurry up."

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think Phil and Diana post on what they did the first 30 days at LEAM wasn't bragging. I think it was more about that you can go to another carrier and do just as good as the carrier you was with. Most people are scared of change, when we left FedEx Custom Critical and went to Panther it was scary for us. Nobody likes to fail at anything, I think I can speak for a few others on this. It's a great feeling when you can find your own freight and set your own rates. I wasn't able to do that at my older carrier. I had to get a okay to do a backhaul.

At Panther I can find my own loads if we choose too. Put more than one load on our trucks if I choose too. I have more control over our trucks. Phil and Diana are able to do that now and it has opened a whole different world to them in this business. I learned a lot from DaveKC on do this and I still call on Davekc help when I have a truck stuck somewhere. Why, because he has been doing it longer than me. Davekc five trucks did as much as my ten trucks did last year. Why, because he has more contacts than we do and has built up a base of brokers that he may use.

I'm still learning and it's been almost three years now since we move to Panther.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Madeson:

As you are no doubt aware my post was directed at other drivers who are considering a change. Why you feel it nessisary to respond to this post is beyond me. But having done so I feel it relevant to point out the context of my post was to urge caution.

Your blog and posts when taken in toto, may paint an attractive picture to other drivers who could be struggling at their current carrier. Despite all your protestations that you are not not encouraging anyone blah blah blah, the actual effect may be different. I am simply urging caution. You look at the free classifieds and you see Landstar trucks for sale same as any other company. And I know for a fact some husband wife teams and solo's have gone broke at Landstar, same as any other company.

Now whats so wrong about telling people to talk to other drivers? We have certainly been around a whole lot longer then you, and as you are aware averages develop over time.

As far as numbers go, I really dont feel the the public forum is appropriate for that dialog, pm... yes, face to face... yes but on a public forum in my mind its not an apprioprate venue.

I can tell you that 13 months ago I had one truck and now I have six, with 5 having no paper on them, this was after spending over 2 years learning the system. For me Landstar was the right fit, but you have to pay your dues same as anywhere.

As far as your success I could care less, you succeed or fail on your own merits, but your corporate media style approach, wherein you subtly talk about how great you are, is offensive. I should have known based on your representations that you were in politics.:D

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
jdevidts

How long have you been in Expediting? The fact that you pointed out that you have five trucks with no paper as you call it, sounds like your tooting your own horn. Not saying that you are, it just sounds that way. Just because you may have been at Landstar longer than Phil and Diana doesn't mean anything. So you may know the system Landstar has in place better, okay I will give you that. I may be wrong on this, but are you scared that a bunch of trucks are going to leave their carriers and go to Landstar based on what Phil and Diana have done the last 30 days? I don't think so, Phil and Diana have a truck that can be used for almost every type of load. They can do T-val, Haz mat, Lift gate, Canada, Government loads, and maybe more. They have taken the time to get everything they need to do every load that may come their way. As a fleet owner myself I can tell you, I would love to have a team in my fleet like the Madsen's

I just had to say no on a 2400 mile load for one of our trucks. Why? Because both drivers didn't have haz mat. The more things you have, the more you can keep your truck moving. I think your taking what Phil and Diana are posting the wrong way. This is the first time they have ever posted their income on EO that I know of. They aren't trying to get people to move to Landstar, They are pointing out that their old carrier is not the only game in town.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
God Bruno(dave), you said you were not defending Phil but you are.

I can't explain why BCOs are speaking up but a few fellow BCOs are saying things for his benefit, like I am. A few are telling him to just let things happen and be a little bit more intelligent about what he is posted.

If you view it as bashing then it is the reason why many don't post about LS or care to help others understand how it works in an open forum. You may have noticed one thing is many do not want our own little forum section because we don't need to talk about things here or make ourselves feel good about our decision to go with LS.

I will repeat this, LS is not for everyone and it is obvious that some here don't want to take a chance to see. Don't be fooled by numbers or qualifications, it is actual performance that matters which is not accessible to the public from these companies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil and Diana have a truck that can be used for almost every type of load. They can do T-val, Haz mat, Lift gate, Canada, Government loads, and maybe more. They have taken the time to get everything they need to do every load that may come their way. As a fleet owner myself I can tell you, I would love to have a team in my fleet like the Madsen's

Thanks Bruno. About our truck, let me add that it was originally configured for FedEx Custom Critcial White Glove Services work in 2006 and used in that capacity for over five years. It, combined with our credentials and work ethic, was a money maker there the entire time (we left when we saw profits decline, not when we saw profits cease).

We bring the same credentials and work ethic to Landstar but the freight is different here. While we have done a couple of reefer loads, there is no TVAL freight. The freight we have hauled so far tends to be bigger and heavier than we hauled at our previous carrier.

While our truck is a money maker at Landstar too, it might be even more so if it was configured differently. Yesterday provides a perfect example.

We were sitting in California, available and waiting for freight. We called agents in California and others we knew who dispatch freight out of here but none had anything for us.

That brought me to the load board to try to find something there. A load appeared that was of interest but when I called the agent, it turned out to be a 17 skid load. The skids could be stacked but with the equipment we carry, we are only a six skid truck (12 skids stacked). A larger straight truck could have used that load to get moving but we could not.

We could become an 8 skid truck (16 skids stacked) if we ditched our white glove equipment but we are not likely to do that because that equipment got us two loads that we otherwise would not have hauled in the last 30 days.

We could increase our 6 skid capacity slightly if we swapped the reefer body for a dry box and dropped the reefer. That would produce a payload gain of over 2,000 lbs. and enable us to haul 48" x 48" skids with no problem. It is a problem now because the insulated walls of a reefer body reduce the interior space. Skids smaller than 48" x 48" are common but we have lost a couple of loads because of our reefer body interior dimension.

As you know, Landstar does not have the reefer freight FedEx Custom Critical has. If I was to build a truck today for use at Landstar, it would be a dry box (the big sleeper stays!). Nevertheless, the total truck and driver package that Diane and I bring to the game seems to be working.

I would not build a new reefer truck to put on with Landstar, but having a paid-for reefer already on the truck, I'm not inclined to take it off, at least not now. So far, it has been an an important component of the truck and it may become more so.

While changing over to a dry box and getting rid of our white glove equipment would increase our ability to get certain loads, it would also decrease our ability to get certain loads (which have paid well). Truck configuration is an open question as we develop a history with our new carrier.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
God Bruno(dave), you said you were not defending Phil but you are.

I can't explain why BCOs are speaking up but a few fellow BCOs are saying things for his benefit, like I am. A few are telling him to just let things happen and be a little bit more intelligent about what he is posted.

If you view it as bashing then it is the reason why many don't post about LS or care to help others understand how it works in an open forum. You may have noticed one thing is many do not want our own little forum section because we don't need to talk about things here or make ourselves feel good about our decision to go with LS.

I will repeat this, LS is not for everyone and it is obvious that some here don't want to take a chance to see. Don't be fooled by numbers or qualifications, it is actual performance that matters which is not accessible to the public from these companies.

Greg

What if I am? Is it hurting you? What do you care if I am? Greg you are always bashing Phil and Diana on everything they do and it really getting old Greg. As a fleet owner I'm not worried that Panther signs on more trucks. I welcome it to be honest because I look at the big picture Greg and our trucks will do better in the long run when Panther doesn't have to say no to the customer. Your a BCO and so is Phil and Diana, Your run your business the way you see fit and Phil and Diana will run their business they way they see fit. People aren't dumb Greg, we all know that Phil has only been on with Landstar for 30 days. Did you ever think that many people asked Phil and Diana what they did their 1st month at Landstar? It may have been easier to post it on EO for all the people that asked to see instead of sending out e-mails to every person that asked.

I defend you also Greg, people have sent me many PM's saying " Greg don't even Drive" or "how can Greg drive with all the post he has on EO". It's not about who does what or how many trucks someone has. We all are the same, WE ARE EXPEDITERS!!!!! We all love the job we do and take pride in the job we do. Phil even said that they don't want people to think that everyone can move to Landstar and do the same as they did the 1st 30 days. We all have knocked Phil over the years with some of his posts, myself included. I have taken the time to read Phil's Blog to get to know Phil and Diana Madsen the people. Just REMEMBER Greg EO is here to help people. I think Phil has done a very good job of it and so have many others like DaveKC, Linda and Bob Caffee, Steve Gilbert, Dreamer, and yes you too Greg. If you want to fight about things, fight about CHEAP FREIGHT.

Last edited: