How's it Going at Landstar?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
That's funny.

I don't have an issue with Phil posting numbers, nor with him and Diane getting off the FedEx train and stepping into the real world for once - maybe a lesson a few others can follow.

BUT it is the little things that seem to bother a few of us, like saying we are dispatched and maybe how he can jump right in and make it look like it is all about his marketing - may be a little true but not all him, his stuff or anything like that.

Greg I think you may be wrong this one brother. I don't know if Phil or Diana have called agents about their truck, but agents do know about them. I called a Landstar agent that I deal with last week to see if they had any freight out of Texas. I asked them if they did reefer freight as this truck had a reefer on it. The agent told me they do some and that Landstar just signed on a nice reefer truck that came from FedEx. I said are you talking about Phil and Diana Madsen? The agent said how did you know? I told the agent about me knowing Phil and Diana threw e-mails and EO over the years.

Now I have hauled freight for this agent before and they was happy with our service. I told the agent that Phil and Diana are great people that are very good at the job they do. I also told the agent if you like our service you will love the service that Phil and Diana does. They go beyond what the carrier asks. I said they even wear uniforms I'm sure. The agent was like I have to use these folks. Phil is a darn good writer and I even read his blog when I have time. I know more about Phil and Diana than I do about you Greg and I have talked to you many times on the phone. I have never talked to Phil or Diana on the phone, just threw E-mails. So they are doing a great job of marketing I would have to say. Think POSITIVE Greg and look for the good that people do and now what you may think is bad brother.

I'm happy that Phil and Diana are doing great at LEAM. You should be happy for them too. It just shows that if do your homework and you can go to any company and be happy and make money.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave (Bruno)
I do keep positive and you know me well enough to know what I am doing and how I went about getting here.

You do not need to defend Phil because I have yet said a thing about him in the negative as others have said in this thread, only saying little things about little important issues - a couple has to do with breaking the habit of being a FedEx drivebot.

I am glad, sincerely and honestly glad he is doing well and as I said I am happy he is off that FedEx train as you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have not said much about him posting money, I have said that his instant success can be contributed to the FACT that he and other new BCOs have help getting off the ground so why defend him against me unless you know the facts behind why that agent knows them and other things?

I guess he has also done me a favor, if you haven't figured it out yet. He has confirmed a lot of what I said in the past, while it is funny that you and a couple others are defending him here, no one defended him when I told him he needed to get out of the cab and try different things to learn because that is the only way to learn, not just ask about it with someone than write about it - a good writer experiences things by the way. He did and you see what money people can make by him posting it - just utterly amazing ... isn't it?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil can't keep quite!...that's not part of his special "DEAL" with the Star!!!

"... his special deal with the Star!!!"?

If Diane and I have a special deal with Landstar, no one has told us about it. If you actually believe that we have a special deal, you would do well to examine how that belief came to be formed because there is no special deal and you are believing a lie; either one of your own making or one that someone else made up and told you.

While there is no special deal, Diane and I have some advantages and we are exploiting them to the fullest.

In orientation and elsewhere, Landstar people and training materials encouraged all BCOs to market themselves to agents. Being new to the company and not knowing anything better to do, we marketed ourselves to agents.

But before we began that, others were doing it for us.

- Before we even completed orientation, some LEAM BCOs were giving us tips (some even openly here on EO) about what agents to contact.

- Before we even completed orientation, some LEAM BCOs were telling their favorite agents that Diane and I would soon be on board. In several of the introductory calls we made to agents, we did not have to introduce ourselves because others had already done so.

- Before we even submitted an application to Landstar, we got "adopted" by a seasoned LEAM team who is well known throughout the company. They coached us through the application process, told their agent friends about us and told us how to get in good with agents. We followed their advice.

- That promote-the-Madsens-to-agents dynamic continues, even with people who are not part of Landstar. Look at Bruno's post above for a classic example.

After orientation, I dusted off some dormant marketing skills to help make things happen. I have not had occasion to use these skills for several years but dusted them off when Landstar advised Diane and me to market ourselves to agents. With a little over 100 agents in the LEAM arena, developing a marketing plan that targets them was for me a simple and fun task.

Short story: Diane and I got off to a good start at Landstar because other BCOs helped us, and because we know -- exceptionally well -- how to market ourselves to, communicate with, and earn the trust of agents.

The other thing we did is even more important and it is something any BCO can do. When you are on a load; pick it up, transport it and deliver it safely and on time. Agents remember the BCOs who do that and are inclined to use them again.

One final comment about BCOs promoting us. Diane and I will return the favor as often as we have the opportunity. We have not been at Landstar long but have been here long enough to know why BCOs do this.

A great way to get in good with an agent and to help your favored agents succeed is to refer to an agent a BCO who you know to be good. As was done for us, we will do for others; partly to help the agent, partly to help the referred BCO and partly to help ourselves.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm delighted Phil with your posts. It is great to see someone engage in the excitement and opportunities that we found when you see how others operate outside of just waiting on the beep.
I also think some of your former comrads are also starting to realize just how much different things can be.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I called a Landstar agent that I deal with last week to see if they had any freight out of Texas. I asked them if they did reefer freight as this truck had a reefer on it. The agent told me they do some and that Landstar just signed on a nice reefer truck that came from FedEx.

We are not the only one. Open Forum member mdscott just brought a nice reefer truck over to Landstar from FedEx Custom Critical. I view that as good news, not bad. The more reefer trucks the agents have to work with, the more reefer-aware they will become and the more reefer freight they will seek out.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Dave (Bruno)
I do keep positive and you know me well enough to know what I am doing and how I went about getting here.

You do not need to defend Phil because I have yet said a thing about him in the negative as others have said in this thread, only saying little things about little important issues - a couple has to do with breaking the habit of being a FedEx drivebot.

I am glad, sincerely and honestly glad he is doing well and as I said I am happy he is off that FedEx train as you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I have not said much about him posting money, I have said that his instant success can be contributed to the FACT that he and other new BCOs have help getting off the ground so why defend him against me unless you know the facts behind why that agent knows them and other things?

I guess he has also done me a favor, if you haven't figured it out yet. He has confirmed a lot of what I said in the past, while it is funny that you and a couple others are defending him here, no one defended him when I told him he needed to get out of the cab and try different things to learn because that is the only way to learn, not just ask about it with someone than write about it - a good writer experiences things by the way. He did and you see what money people can make by him posting it - just utterly amazing ... isn't it?

Greg I'm not defending Phil and Diana. I'm pointing out facts, Phil doesn't need me to defend him or Diana, Phil can defend himself. I just have seen you bashing this guy for years and you talking about Landstar. Now that he is gone from FedEx and over at Landstar your kinda still doing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is just they way it seems to come across from you Greg. If that is not your intent then I'm sorry.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I must have missed the LEAM load board, oh wait there is none. The only load board is for T/L and LTL freight. LEAM side we call the agents or the agents call us. All my loads have come from a agent calling me.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Phil illustrates a great point ..... in the past when I show folks my per mile rate, they scoff at me, I try to explain to them the figure they have seen on my QC is the amount I get, (minus QC and insurance deductions), and we do receive 100% of the fuel surcharges.

At the ripe ole age of 66, I suppose I may be considered one of the "hobby truckers", since I truly pick and choose and am under no strain to accept freight just to generate the next truck payment. (Not to be confused with the fact when I'm out there I do work my tail off!) I do have a high rate of deadhead, but that is my choosing .. I get restless and move on .. so I have no complaints about the unladen miles, I generated them myself!

LS is truly not for everyone, but I cut my teeth at Jones Motor/Hot Shot Express on the potential of an agent based company. I often had quality freight booked weeks in advance.

And when I decided to return to expediting, LS was my only choice. When told I "must" do this, or the other, I get a bit cranky ... :eek:

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I must have missed the LEAM load board, oh wait there is none. The only load board is for T/L and LTL freight. LEAM side we call the agents or the agents call us. All my loads have come from a agent calling me.

The only time I mentioned a load board in this thread is here. Nothing was said about an LEAM load board. When I said "the load board" I was talking about the same one as you.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
How does one get coached through the application process?

You honestly don't know how you could coach one of your friends through an application process?

Like your friend Dave/Bruno said, your starting to come across as a troll. It's entertaining though.

I agree that Phil's post are a little over the top with positivity but your replies are even more over the top imo.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I agree that Phil's post are a little over the top with positivity....

You disappoint me with that observation. Re-read the original post in this thread. Look at the verbs. Look at the adjectives. I chose them very carefully to provide a neutral report.

When the facts justify it, I have been known to highlight the positive. But if you look at my posts and examine the words carefully, I believe you will find no going "...over the top with positivity."

The facts themselves may seem over the top positive to certain readers, but that is a reader interpretation. The numbers are what the numbers are and I state them with no amplifying adjectives or verbs.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Yes but Leam drivers can look on the sister company load boards and if they see something that will fit in their ST/Cargo Vans and is paying a rate they, like they can call and see about getting that load.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. If you have safety or health issues, sorry again. It is not as easy to get accepted by Landstar as it is with some other carriers.

So, if one have a valid fiscal card, they still might shred the applications do to other health issues ?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It's amazing how certain people continually hound Phil over everything he posts and everything he does. It's also somewhat funny to sit back and watch those same people make themselves look bad in the process while Phil seems to just carry on with business as usual, whether they like him or not.

moose

Veteran Expediter
It's amazing how certain people continually hound Phil over everything he posts and everything he does. It's also somewhat funny to sit back and watch those same people make themselves look bad in the process while Phil seems to just carry on with business as usual, whether they like him or not.

Well i hope your post was not trigger by something I posted.
i think i have asked a legit question.
i met them a few times in person, and can only look up to them.

Phil's OP claiming some carriers are developing a Reich Elite selections team of drivers base, is the 1st time such claim was posted.
when some see this as a rezone to sign on with a carrier, and maybe even the carrier's right to choose hoe to contract with, personally it is one of those things that will keep me away from a perspective carrier.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You disappoint me with that observation. Re-read the original post in this thread. Look at the verbs. Look at the adjectives. I chose them very carefully to provide a neutral report.

When the facts justify it, I have been known to highlight the positive. But if you look at my posts and examine the words carefully, I believe you will find no going "...over the top with positivity."

The facts themselves may seem over the top positive to certain readers, but that is a reader interpretation. The numbers are what the numbers are and I state them with no amplifying adjectives or verbs.

Probably doesn't make much difference but I enjoy your posts.:D