How's it Going at Landstar?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thought you were gonna be MUM?

As I said above, I rarely share our financial results in public but given the amount of interest, I am making an exception this time.

At least ten FedEx Custom Critical contractors have contacted me directly for this information and I know others are following my blog to see how it is going for us at Landstar. Easier to post 30 days of financial info here and on my blog one time and be done with it.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Landstar BCO's are notoriously tight lipped about anything to do with Landstar, I believe Phil has posted more info in 1 month than I have seen in 9 years here on EO.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think part of the reason for that is the decentralized agent dispatch system is difficult to explain to people who are accustomed to centralized dispatch.

It's not like FedEx where all loads come from dispatch at Green, Ohio. Put a group of FedEx Custom Critical drivers together and the conversation soon turns to dispatch stories. In the few times I have been were Landstar BCOs gather, dispatch stories and gossip do not come up like they did when Diane and I were with FedEx CC. In a decentralized agent dispatch system, no centralized common ground exists to discuss.

Landstar people are more business focused and businesslike, it seems. You have to be more self-reliant and self-responsible to succeed at Landstar, and more able to find your own way.

Indeed, there is a former FedEx DR-unit team that just completed LEAM (Landstar Express America) orientation. They called Diane and me a few times with questions but are already doing things at Landstar and telling us things about the company that we knew nothing about. They will be in the groove soon enough but their groove will almost certainly be considerably different than Diane's and mine.

If you read my blog, you will see me talking less and less about Landstar as Diane and I get more and more into it. The day-to-day Landstar experience is simply not an experience that lends itself to ongoing talk about it.

Another reason Landstar BCOs say little about the company may be that other expediting companies have more that makes them the same than makes them different. Whereas Landstar really is different and there is not much to say about the day-to-day experience that makes sense in the EO context.

Finally, while it may be true for a few, it is not the case that BCOs stay quiet about Landstar because they want to keep the secret to themeslves. Landstar Express America makes no secret of its existence. It advertises on EO. It has a booth at the Expedite Expo. It is represented at the Landstar booths at other truck shows.

When they want to expand the fleet, they expand it. When they want to shrink the fleet, they shrink it. Whether BCOs are talking about LEAM or not makes little difference in what the company decides to do with the number of trucks it is bringing in or trimming back. They are bringing trucks in at present, but are not looking to bring anyone in that they feel would not be a good fit.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know phil, the reason we don't talk much about it is because we don't have to feel better about the company we choose to lease to.

I think part of the reason for that is the decentralized agent dispatch system is difficult to explain to people who are accustomed to centralized dispatch.

The problem isn't that it is difficult to explain its impossible because we don't have any dispatch system - we are not dispatched. We have business agreements with other like entities, the agents who are just like us. They have a vested interest in our success, where the company has an overall interest in all of our success's. The key to remember is that you can work with 1000 agents or one and it does not matter to anyone because this is the level right below being independent.

I only hope that they don't slacken the entry procedures for FedEx people.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I know there's a lot more to this story than has been revealed and what happens to some
won't be happening to all those hopefully jumping ship unless LEAM is buttered up again.

That's all I'm going to say at this point.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Phils discussion here has the potential to go either North or South. Depends on how people feel what is being said......

My opinion, and not a stab at Phil, but his comments are more or less Phil being Phil. He's "gloating" at how well he has done his first 30 days with Landstar. Would we be getting the same insight at how Landstar operates if he had sat back and waited for the loads to find him as he was accustomed to? Probably not....

I give Phil full credit for learning Landstars system and taking the initiative to find the loads the way Landstar expects their "BCO's" to service "Landstar".

I totally agree with Greg too when he says Phil is just one step away from being an actual IOO finding and running Loads on their own. I just wonder when Phil is going to realize that he can, and would probably be quite successful at, get out on his own with his own Authority running both with Landstar and finding loads in his own. He has the opportunity to have a paying load on that truck of his for every mile that truck is running down the road. Landstar allows this and there is no reason for Phil to have that truck leased "exclusively" to Landstar. I'm almost bettin' that Landstar finds more loads for true IOO's than they do for their "exclusive" use trucks leased on to them. (a lot of my IOO LTL friends with the 1 tons and 40-53ft lowboys have accounts set-up at Landstar)

Like I said, this is just Phil being Phil, that's all. My only concern is for the ones in Expediting now that are used to having loads found for them who don't have the will, the drive, the intelligence, and so on that are reading what Phil has just accomplished within 30 days who might get the idea that they could do just as well as Phil has. Landstars main business is not "Expediting", and for a lot of these drivers here who have that "expedite" mentality drilled into them by a system like FedEx, PII, Bolt, Load 1, etc offers, they could easily fall flat on their ..... very quickly if they tried to jump over to Landstar to make the money Phil is gloating about here and on his Blog.

Plus, a second concern...A lot of people follow Phil here and on his Blog. If he keeps up his gloating, Landstar is probably going to get flooded with unqualified applicants looking to make a switch over to Landstar. Sooner or later they're going to look into why this might be happening. They might wonder why this is happening and try to locate the source that is wasting their recruiting departments time and money. Repercussions for this?? Who knows, but all we witnessed what happened to the Elite one when he spoke out against his former carrier, know what I mean.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Brisco you brought up a good point! I'd like to know just how many loads did Phil find on
his own (sister loads)

98% of the loads we get are offered to us by agents, a mere 2% of the loads are found on
Landstars load board....these percentages used are only an estimate.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I know there's a lot more to this story than has been revealed ....

Sure is, a lot more and a few po'ed bcos because of it.

Regardless, people need to understand that we have done quite well without marginal players in the fleet and many who gotten used to FedEx's lackidaisy loose attitude about logs and trucks will find a different and difficult world at LEAM.

As for Phil, it is great he is doing so well, I just wish people would stop thinking he knows the system well enough.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, here at LS we are just short of being independent, but why go thru all the hoops of getting your authority, insurance including cargo, finding loads from brokers that slow pay for the most part. Brokers that charge you to get paid and so on. Maybe expediting freight brokers are different then regular brokers on paying, but I like the fact that I don't have the extra paperwork. I used to be independent years ago on the truckload side and it was a pain.

I was at LS on the truckload side from March of 1996 to 2009 left for two years and came back on the LEAM side in a Sprinter and I could never be happier. In my three months back I've had a good June a bad July and a decent August. I can only hope the rest of the year goes well.

I can only add that each person out here driving is happy with the company they are leased to, because if your not its time for a change. I learned that being happy is one of the most important things in trucking. Money comes second, at least to this driver / O/O

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What's left out, they did 13 loads for a month and grossed 31K posted it and people are ripping them for posting the numbers. I say its refreshing for someone to post their numbers since mot claim they are doing great but never put their numbers out their to prove their claim.

As for the LS system, I agree its hard to get a handle on for most people, because they come from companies that hold their hands. LS is a system of getting thru a agents door and finding the agents that have the better paying freight. Doing that is the challenge here. From experience it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months to either make or break a new BCO.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What's left out, they did 13 loads for a month and grossed 31K posted it and people are ripping them for posting the numbers. I say its refreshing for someone to post their numbers since mot claim they are doing great but never put their numbers out their to prove their claim.

As for the LS system, I agree its hard to get a handle on for most people, because they come from companies that hold their hands. LS is a system of getting thru a agents door and finding the agents that have the better paying freight. Doing that is the challenge here. From experience it takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months to either make or break a new BCO.

I agree, most people won't post numbers for different reasons. I don't see it as bragging as much as I view it being informative. If I am doing good or bad I am willing to share my numbers as it gives a real life situation for those that are interested in a van or Bolt to know what to expect. Phil has just provided those with a ST or those looking at Landstar with some important information. People sometimes try to protect all the information they have which is bad for the industry because every time someone is failing it seems they start running cheap freight and it will end up hurting all.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd like to know just how many loads did Phil find on his own (sister loads)

98% of the loads we get are offered to us by agents, a mere 2% of the loads are found on
Landstars load board....these percentages used are only an estimate.

We found no loads on our own but got dispatched on some loads by agents from a sister company (Ranger). In every case, the agents offered loads to us before we called them. In no case did any load we hauled appear on a load board before it was offered to us. Note that a number of LEAM agents are also sister company agents.

Finding loads has not been for us a matter of picking them off the load board. It has been a matter of marketing ourselves to agents (some of whom are very impressed that we wear uniforms at every pick up and delivery, by the way, and all of whom are pleased with the perfect service we provide).

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's all good Phil but you may not know this but Jacksonville asks agents to help new BCOs out to get them started. Marketing is a small part of what you can do but ... nope not going to add to it...

By the way, not all loads agents get or produce hit the load boards and many of the good paying loads never will be seen on either board.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I agree, most people won't post numbers for different reasons. I don't see it as bragging as much as I view it being informative. If I am doing good or bad I am willing to share my numbers as it gives a real life situation for those that are interested in a van or Bolt to know what to expect.

Thank you, paullud. I ask readers to note that I did not post numbers at random or in a way to skew things one way or another. I used a specific start date (July 18) because that was not our first load, but the first load we picked up after Diane and I were fully credentialed with the company. Whatever the 30-day numbers would have been following July 18, that is what would have been posted.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Phil, thanks keeping those interested up to date and going to the point of posting #'s...while i have no interst in leaving my carrier at all it is good to see how successful other that work at it at other carriers can do very well. Congrats on the great start.

Being Professional in attitude, appearance and manners can do nothing but payoff no matter what the business. Just because one dresses and acts professional does no mean that one can't hold a conversation with and treat a dock worker with the respect he wants as well as BS with him on the same level he would get from anyone else...at the same time, using that same attitude and manners when dealing with supervisory, management, and other professionals...

As for posting #'s...welcome to the "gloating club"...:rolleyes: When I posted my #'s on a regular basis from both carriers I have leased to. I was called a liar, a bragger, accused of gloating, told i was "the favorite son", you don't figure your miles like i do so your numbers are worthless", and so on...lol, the funny thing, both recruiting depts of both carriers alway had / have people call me to get an idea on how to make it work in this business and both have had people contact them because of the #'s and miles info i posted..like you i guess i have been doing something right...but...you can never make everyone happy...you and those successful will always be a target for some to take shots at, which totally understand...

Anyhow, Congrats on a great start and what appears to most certainly be a good move for you and Diane...

Oh and Phil, when you are no longer a NEW BCO and the agents stop helping you, something tells me you will be just fine....i mean there can't be any other reason for your good start..like being a "professional"...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's funny.

I don't have an issue with Phil posting numbers, nor with him and Diane getting off the FedEx train and stepping into the real world for once - maybe a lesson a few others can follow.

BUT it is the little things that seem to bother a few of us, like saying we are dispatched and maybe how he can jump right in and make it look like it is all about his marketing - may be a little true but not all him, his stuff or anything like that.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Phil can't keep quite!...that's not part of his special "DEAL" with the Star!!!

Last edited: