How's it Going at Landstar?

Camper

Not a Member
Well, you can shout supply& Demands or Cheap freight till the Mooses cows go home...but in the LTL divisions one LARGE carrier just increase rates :

Old Dominion Announces Rate Increase

many Expediters haul for this carrier or alike on a daily basic, and those increases will effect our revenue.

A rate increase by a big player in the LTL industry isn't going to trickle down to the cargo van operator. Old dominion is in a position of strength and can therefore name their rate. The c/v operator is in a position of weakness with respect the ability to bargain rates.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dennis, that was good.

BUT....

Let's see ... 80 cents a mile for two pallets of van freight that weighs 1500 total.

I have space(capacity) for six pallets (4500 lbs) or twelve(9000lbs) if they can be decked or stacked, so ...

6 X .80 ==> 4.80 per mile

12 X .80 ==> 9.60 per mile

this assume they are going in the same direction. IF I capture 60% of the large revenue and the 40% of it dwindles down to 80 cents a mile - it is a pretty good haul.

Does anyone see that?

think bell curve!

I think there is an EO member who has 30k capacity on their rather large box truck so they can take even more.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep all good.

The thing that gets me is your company is setting the bar too high and others can't follow.

IT is all a good thing.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thanks Dennis, that was good.

BUT....

Let's see ... 80 cents a mile for two pallets of van freight that weighs 1500 total.

I have space(capacity) for six pallets (4500 lbs) or twelve(9000lbs) if they can be decked or stacked, so ...

6 X .80 ==> 4.80 per mile

12 X .80 ==> 9.60 per mile

this assume they are going in the same direction. IF I capture 60% of the large revenue and the 40% of it dwindles down to 80 cents a mile - it is a pretty good haul.

Does anyone see that?

think bell curve!

I think there is an EO member who has 30k capacity on their rather large box truck so they can take even more.

Yabut, ALL the stars have to line up for me to FILL the truck, however, ten buks a mile IS way far from a stretch. An ya don't even have to "bottom feed" for a lot if it. Kinda funny, the cv folks whom choose to "screw the pooch", with low rent equipment, and very little restriction, and high fuel economy, and all the other things that make their life easy..........whine about .....little revenue. Hoooboy! Love reading this crap.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yabut, ALL the stars have to line up for me to FILL the truck, however, ten buks a mile IS way far from a stretch. An ya don't even have to "bottom feed" for a lot if it. Kinda funny, the cv folks whom choose to "screw the pooch", with low rent equipment, and very little restriction, and high fuel economy, and all the other things that make their life easy..........whine about .....little revenue. Hoooboy! Love reading this crap.

Now that you mention it, there is a thought to ponder.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It's greed, we are all out here to make money. The more we make the more we buy stuff that gets shipped on bigger trucks.

Camper

Not a Member
It's greed, we are all out here to make money. The more we make the more we buy stuff that gets shipped on bigger trucks.

It's survival of the fittest, nothing more, nothing less. This is a low rate environment and you either adapt or you don't survive.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Yeppers too everything you just said ... thank you.

Maybe this is another comment that should be printed, posted on the mirror, and on the fridge so it can be read every day.

It's survival of the fittest, nothing more, nothing less. This is a low rate environment and you either adapt or you don't survive.

OR work for a company who gets you the work and cry about cheap freight.

Camper

Not a Member
Yeppers too everything you just said ... thank you.

Maybe this is another comment that should be printed, posted on the mirror, and on the fridge so it can be read every day.

OR work for a company who gets you the work and cry about cheap freight.

And be well positioned for the day that company no longer gets you the work. Every well eventually dries up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That is true but because many don't see the reasoning behind learning to think outside the box, when work slows down, they will be the first to complain.

But on the other hand many want to not work, they want the company to find them the work and then just drive. nothing hard about that but having a dialog in another thread about thinking outside the box and fleet ownership, it seems that in this niche market, fleet ownership is also just like driving - waiting for the company to come to your trucks with work.

Camper

Not a Member
That is true but because many don't see the reasoning behind learning to think outside the box, when work slows down, they will be the first to complain.

But on the other hand many want to not work, they want the company to find them the work and then just drive. nothing hard about that but having a dialog in another thread about thinking outside the box and fleet ownership, it seems that in this niche market, fleet ownership is also just like driving - waiting for the company to come to your trucks with work.

Yes, very true..Another irony is the operators who proclaim their independence as contractors when it comes to loads they don't want. However, they have no problem expecting the company to lead them by the nose to the freight.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, very true..Another irony is the operators who proclaim their independence as contractors when it comes to loads they don't want. However, they have no problem expecting the company to lead them by the nose to the freight.

Nobody forced them to sign a contract agreeing to find freight for independent contractors - they could hire employees instead.
Funny how that [nobody forced you] response can work both ways, innit?

Camper

Not a Member
Nobody forced them to sign a contract agreeing to find freight for independent contractors - they could hire employees instead.
Funny how that [nobody forced you] response can work both ways, innit?

Nobody forced them(the contractors complaining about cheap freight) to be independent contractors instead of direct employees for a company. Yep, it is funny how that "nobody forced you" argument works both ways...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Another is making your own sales calls and getting your own freight. No more boards, no more dispatchers, no more listening to drivers whine about cheap freight. Been listening to drivers complain about cheap freight since way back. It's always been a topic. But you know what, they still haul it.
Yes there's paperwork and permits and this and that, but it's part of being in business. Besides most of the people that whine about cheap freight are generally the one's who don't know how much it costs them to operate and usually the one's that don't last very long.
Every business has a competitor that does it for less. So what do they do? They give their customer a reason to want to do business with them or they complain about them till they go out of business.;)

moose

Veteran Expediter
I fail to see the connection between truck ownership and load finders.
more so in today's 'Partners Carriers' world.
why on earth an O/O needs to spend times developing 'marketing skills', and retaining costumers ?, when there's only one & a half carriers that require the used of those skills?
it's funny, LS drivers are the onlyones looking for freight, yet they will claim to have more independence from the carrier then anyones else.
here's a thought, contract with your carrier of choice ONLY for the freight. just like you do with insurance providers,taxman's, or the tire shop, focus on running a small business, be very good in it. keep all your eggs in your dry box. - and have way less to worry about.seems like working well for most's.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nobody forced them(the contractors complaining about cheap freight) to be independent contractors instead of direct employees for a company.

Perhaps some would choose to be employees, if it were an option, but it's the carriers who write the contracts, and they choose to use independent contractors. Who have every right to complain about the return on their investment, if/when they have reason to believe the return on their investment could/should be greater. [It's the American Way.] :D
Yep, it is funny how that "nobody forced you" argument works both ways...

The point is that it doesn't - it's used solely to dismiss, rather than address, the complaints of individuals. It does nothing to further understanding of the problems and/or solutions - it's just a condescending dismissal that furthers nothing but resentment from those so casually dismissed.
It's a classic putdown in lieu of a thoughtful response.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nobody forced them(the contractors complaining about cheap freight) to be independent contractors instead of direct employees for a company.

Perhaps some would choose to be employees, if it were an option, but it's the carriers who write the contracts, and they choose to use independent contractors. Who have every right to complain about the return on their investment, if/when they have reason to believe the return on their investment could/should be greater. [It's the American Way.] :D
Yep, it is funny how that "nobody forced you" argument works both ways...

The point is that it doesn't - it's used solely to dismiss, rather than address, the complaints of individuals. It does nothing to further understanding of the problems and/or solutions - it's just a condescending dismissal that furthers nothing but resentment from those so casually dismissed.
It's a classic putdown in lieu of a thoughtful response.

Missie, let me splain something to ya. There truly are some Companys out there that [attempt] to make everyone's life easier, and, mo bettah. However the "nature of the beast" won't allow that to happen. Tis the don't wannas, can'ts, wouldn'ts, and a mirade of other reasons that preclude any kind of coop. I attempted to give thirty something, of what I considered "deserving" contractors and drivers the opportunity to dispatch themselves. negotiate their own rates, etc. over the years. To the person.....it didn't work. As an example, I had one fella that, steada dead heading across a small town in Lousianna and take a load 1600 miles to the Big Apple at a good rate, he wanted to DH 150 miles to take a load to Oklahoma for a little better rate.......and end up in Oklahoma, steada NY, cause he didn't wanna. I could tell you numerous, similar. Problem is.....the ****ers and moaners that actually get a chance, in my experience usually dik it up in very short order. Seems like folks are not, and never intend to be students of their occupation. Tis a shame. For numerous reasons such as lack of interest, motivation,application, energy, etc., are the reasons contractors and drivers are kept on the short leashes they are on. Ya jes can't fix stupid whining on a forum. But, look at Lawrence.......he didn't like his rates or something.....got a lightbulb....an look what he is doing......something he enjoys and smoking big cigars. Ain't no already roasted turkeys.