Everybody getting paid?

transporter

Expert Expediter
lawrence and or dreamer would you please post all the carriers
that you have turned down for advertising. Also any that you have stopped letting advertise here. Reasons why for each carrier would be great. There is no legal reason why EO could not say Who was turned down. O/O's can take from that information what they want.

Texpress

Seasoned Expediter
Regarding the slow pay situation. It's important to understand that this Country and its industries have always relied on the commercial money markets. This all happens behind the scenes so it isn't noticeable to the average joe. About two years ago the commercial money mkt started to dry up.

At first it was just that many companies rating went from lets say and A to a B rating. Eventually there just wasn't any money out there, this happened in the summer of 08.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is what ya ll are feeling whether it's the shipper and/or the carrier. For so long so many companies were able to pick up the phone and have large amounts of cash hit their accounts within two hours and that option is just not there any longer.

I'm sure now that many of these carriers are having to wait for the actual bills to be paid prior to payment of their drivers. I'm sure some still have deep enough pockets to cover payroll, but it has to be getting harder and harder..

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
okay, so if this is not the place to come to for information on who is not paying, where do we go? the truckstop parking lot? this site is supposed to be for us, the expeditors,and now we are being told what we can and cannot post on here? and the ooida only cares about the big guys, not us small guys. i know that from first-hand experience.

Hey Guido. DaveKC is right. The issue with unsubstantiated claims on here is a legal one. If a carrier isn't paying you, they won't be paying EO, and therefore won't be advertised here. I'm sure you wouldn't like it is another O/O with your company suddenly called them to report you of some sort of "bad behavior" based upon heresay, and a motive to get you out of service so that he would be one up for the next load.
Not fun, huh? That's why we can't do it here, and I'm not a sponsor or a mod.

What can you do? Research the company across the Net. Check their credit You can get a company to pull their credit for you and find if they are paying their bills. Most that advertise on here have a brokerage division whereby they can cover their customer using a partner when their own truck isn't nearby. Check their credit as well. Every broker has a credit rating. See if they're paying their vendors within 30 days or so. 45 days might not be pleasant, but not the end of the world these days. If you see them in excess of 90 days, then there is a problem. I know of one broker personally who pays all vendors thru a factoring company, but he himself isn't being paid by some of the auto makers in excess of 120 to 150 days. Not sure if he will make it just because the factoring company comes back to him for the dough, if the shipper doesn't pay within so many days.

As far as earmarks in choosing a carrier, bigger doesn't always mean solvent. A bigger carrier could be wasteful and in great debt, while a small carrier may or may NOT be. Ya just have to do your homework.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Many folks don't realize I guess, that in the ruff and tumble world of business, the question really isn't what am I gonna do IF I get hosed? The question is what am I gonna do WHEN I get hosed? There are many ways to minimize the effects of a setback or surprise. Be aware of the signs that should be apparent. Set some goals regarding the risks that are acceptable to you, and when that ceiling is reached, don't invest anymore in that project. It's just business, and *&%$ happens!! You are a business person, no one SHOULD help you, but you. Some of this thread reads like a investor typ'in, not like a expeditor typ'in.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many folks don't realize I guess, that in the ruff and tumble world of business, the question really isn't what am I gonna do IF I get hosed? The question is what am I gonna do WHEN I get hosed? There are many ways to minimize the effects of a setback or surprise. Be aware of the signs that should be apparent. Set some goals regarding the risks that are acceptable to you, and when that ceiling is reached, don't invest anymore in that project. It's just business, and *&%$ happens!! You are a business person, no one SHOULD help you, but you. Some of this thread reads like a investor typ'in, not like a expeditor typ'in.

More expediters should be thinking ( typ'in ) like investors. They are investors who are expediters. We invest in ourselves, our truck, equipment, carrier, and shippers.
How well you tend to the details of your investment may determine your chance of survival.

To often a new expediter jumps in without taking stock of his exposure. His failure is eminent before the first beep of the clink.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
May I suggest "Rip-offReport.com".

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

guido4475

Not a Member
I thought i told dave last night that i understand where he is coming from.The carrier i am with is a small one, with only 25 trucks. but we have no problem with the fuel card,advances,repair money, etc. My pay has been right on the money, on time.I am surprised, because i am aware from talking to the owner that people we haul for are not paying as quick as expected.but i do make it a point to be as careful with what they do give me, not to abuse it.They do not have to give us the perks that they do.So for that i am grateful. I try to help my carrier in any way i can, to make things easier for them.And in return, i have received honesty and respect from them.For example, i had my transmission come apart 3 months ago.Not once did they ask for a copy of the receipt for the $9,000.00 repair bill a week later when i told them how much to get a comcheck to cover it.That, i believe, was respect.And loyalty.And i paid it back a month later.So i will continue to stick with small companies, we can relate so much more to each other.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Dave I see your point, the official letter has been sent by an attorney. After ten days the suit will be filed and if I understand you correctly, then and only then, we can post what we want about this subject. Question, "is that correct?".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Once it becomes a matter of public record, then you are good to post it. Keep in mind that when one files a lawsuit, you are alleging your complaint. Just because someone is sued, doesn't mean they are guilty. Once the case reaches closure, you then can take the verdict/resolution and make that available unless it is sealed by the court.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
May I suggest "Rip-offReport.com".

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Ahh Yes! the perfect example of why they don't want that kind of action here. With the false claims, out right lying and use of multiple accounts to make it sound totally worse than it really is.Oh the drama of it all.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It would seem to me as an O/O or driver for a Fleet owner. Before someone would put out their time, money, and Rig, just because the prospective employer\Carrier said "Trust Me", we will pay you when we get paid. If I'm driving for someone I expect them to have the Capital on hand to pay me as agreed. It's not the O\O or The fleet drivers job to chase a third party for their money. If I were to work for a Plumber, Framer, Roofer or what ever, I expect to be paid when I have done my job. Not when the General contractor gets paid.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Even though they did'nt pay us they did send a settlement sheet each week just not a deposit. And of course we have all of our sighned bills, I am not a judge but I believe it is an open and shut case.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I are getting paid by our carrier as regularly and reliably as always.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are still up from '08 but nothing but crud offers today so far. At least we are at the house. We can go broke slower here than out there!! We had the pleasure of doing our taxes yesterday. What a nasty taste I have in my mouth. Layoutshooter

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
Our carrier uses the slogan "on time every time" and guess what? Frieght has been late a time or two but our money is always "on time every time" :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Pay is always on time and right...as for income compared to last yr, I am way ahead of my income from this business last yr....wait i wasn't in this business at this time last yr....:D