Everybody getting paid?

DougTravels

Not a Member
There have been alot of rumors about carriers not paying in a timely fashion. Anyone having problems out there?

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I've heard rumors about some companies, but they are just that. However I also have heard first hand from personal friends that they are not getting paid. So, yea its happening.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Remember, this isn't the place to get into what carriers are paying who. If you aren't getting paid, take it up with the carrier or get a attorney. No one here is going to help collect your money for you.
Additionally, the site has no way of substantiating someones claim. It would just turn into a he said/she said.
If one needs a guide or assistance in that type of situation, then contact OOIDA.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Some of the carriers I partner with have been taking a little longer than they used to, but I'm still getting paid. I couldn't say about payments to contractors though. It has me looking at possibly factoring more work down the road, not because I have a problem waiting but because drivers I have contracted to me might not want to wait that long and I can't pay them until I get paid. I wonder if that could be part of the problem is that carriers aren't getting paid as fast as they used to from their customers.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Playing the devils advocate though-alot of people come to this site when searching for info on carriers.

Is this an Expediter forum or an Expedite carrier forum? I realize this puts the site into a dilemma. Carriers advertise here and OO's come here for good information. Sometimes the 2 clash.

guido4475

Not a Member
okay, so if this is not the place to come to for information on who is not paying, where do we go? the truckstop parking lot? this site is supposed to be for us, the expeditors,and now we are being told what we can and cannot post on here? and the ooida only cares about the big guys, not us small guys. i know that from first-hand experience.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The problem is simple. It would expose the site to unnecessary legal issues with just allowing one sided information.
I believe Lawrence has addressed this several other times.
From the websites position, they would have no way of knowing the actual facts until they were published as a matter of public record from a court. If you didn't have that, one could say just about anything. If one is asking and one feels compelled to tell them, then send them a email. Even if someone isn't a sponsor, you still have exposure based on what may not be reliable information. Additionally, even if one is right, that doesn't mean one might not spend thousands to defend it and hope on collecting a judgement.

DougTravels

Not a Member
This is a complicated issue:

This site is paid for by carriers.

Anyone with a gripe could say anything (true or not) about a carrier.

This site does not have the ability to substantiate claims, but still advertises as the place to come for info.

Solution, I don't know.

If I were unpayed by a carrier and I couldn't post here. I would sue also I would keep posting everywhere I could find, with their full name. I would do this until if you google their name my story would be right there.

Recently I left Transtewart,if you google their name my blog hits. They owe me a little money 300 or so plus 1,000 escrow. If I were to have problems getting it I would try and let people know anyway I could.

guido4475

Not a Member
that is the way i feel. we should be able to warn each other about the scumbags out there who are feeling it is fine to keep the money we all worked for. and this is getting to be common practice now and days.and the fees charged to the owner/operator are getting out of hand.my carrier does not charge foe escrow. i have no problem with them, even though we are a small company. pay is on time and right on the money.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I totally understand your point. But, the ways of the world dictate restraint unless EO started charging all the members a fee just to provide a defense fund against liable or other types of frivolous lawsuits. Have to remember that, it is a free site.
If a carrier eventually gets sued, at that point it becomes public record. Then, you can post away with the link to that particular case.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
I agree Guido:

People need to be warned of the scammers. I just don't know how to do it here. I mean one carrier could pretend to be a driver for another carrier to hurt their reputation. Someone with a grudge could ruin a carriers rep also.

Drivers need to know if some carriers can't pay them before it is too late.

Carriers need to be protected against unfounded attacks.

Where is the answer?

guido4475

Not a Member
dave, i understand what you are saying.but where else do we go to communicate with each other? i didnt mean to sound harsh,but it seems like the carriers forget that without us, the owner-operators and fleet owners, they wouldnt have nobody to haul their freight, thus not making money.i just cant tolerate financial abuse.we work hard and sacrafice so much.and it seems that they just dont care.i lov ethis business, been in it since 89.but you have to admit, it is getting worse. everything is going up, while the pay is going down. i was a the cat in 95 and pay was $1.35 a mile. and everything was so much cheaper then.so i think this is where we come to help each other out. in times like this, i think it is really important to stick together as much as possible.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree Guido:

People need to be warned of the scammers. I just don't know how to do it here. I mean one carrier could pretend to be a driver for another carrier to hurt their reputation. Someone with a grudge could ruin a carriers rep also.

Where is the answer?

It is tough call. Believe me, no one at EO condones a rip-off carrier. They have parted company with a few sponsors in the past because of it.
Bottom line; there is a right way to do it. File a lawsuit to were it s public record in a court of law. Much like a class action lawsuit if it involves many.
Then it can be posted, and everyone is warned. Your other reasons are spot on on.

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Well, this is supposed to be a tight knit community of expediters ain't it? If I PM someone I know and then they tell someone they know.... I know this technically a rumor, but IMO a high percentage of rumors end up being true. We each have to judge the source but it doesn't mean we shouldn't share info with each other. Maybe more so than in the recent past.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Times have changed - we are aware of that. I am starting to work on a solution that would be fair and LEGAL to address the concerns mentioned in this post.

We are very concerned about these issues and how they are taking a toll on owner operators.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree Guido:

Where is the answer?

Dave just gave the answer. You file a claim with the courts against a certain company and then you can talk about it and submit a link to the court filing. And once the case has been closed, you can then post the outcome. By posting an actual court case, you are not guilty of libel because you will only be posting what is legally transpiring between you and that company. It's that simple. Hire an attorney, take them to court, and then post the outcome.

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
At this point, i'm not going to mention any names of carriers, but i've done a lot of business with a carrier that is getting very slow at paying. Over the past year and a half they were consistently slow. They were paying about 60 days after invoicing. Right now they have an invoice that is 95 days old and another that is 80 days old. The last invoice they paid me on about a month ago was 105 days old. It has gotten so bad that i received an email from my factoring company today saying that they have cut them off. Companies like these guys are why i had to start using a factoring co. So, i contacted them and basically the answer i got was the majority of there customers were extremely slow at paying them. Maybe they need stop doing business with certain customers. Basically, you can't operate a business when your receivables are 90-105 days old. I hope they can get there financial situation under control because they are an extremely large carrier/broker and like doing business with them.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
We drive for a fleet owner so I'm not sure what O/O's consider fast but we are paid very promptly. The pro I put in the trip box today will pay out one week from Friday. We are paid for the pro when the fleet owner is paid. Never had a problem. Always on time to the dime! :D

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Times have changed - we are aware of that. I am starting to work on a solution that would be fair and LEGAL to address the concerns mentioned in this post.

We are very concerned about these issues and how they are taking a toll on owner operators.

Dreamer , Lawrence and the rest of the staff,i can't help but notice the rotation of advertisers is getting quit thin. I imagine this to is quit a concern especially when a carrier drops there ads here and then post start showing up about that carrier not paying that can look bad.it's also worrisome to find people to fill the ad space and keep the site paid for.i wish you all well and click the links now and then even if i am happy where i am at.