Don't Trust People on Facebook.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
This was a message sent to me from a family member that got this from a message from someone saying they was my wife Tricia. I'm glad they called me before they sent money. I even had a few drivers call me wanting to know if they could help. I was like " what are you talking about".

Here is the Message:

9:03am
hey
how are you doing?

9:03am
Hi Tricia! How are you?? We are doing fine

9:04am
Not good at the moment,My family and I are in a deep mess now

oh oh whats going on??

We are currently stuck in London
We are currently stuck in London UK,went there on a short vacation and was mugged at a gun point last night

9:05am
omg god really? are you ok?

9:05am
I was hurt on my head,writing you in tears now as we speak

9:06am
does david know??

9:06am
no
All cash and credit card was stolen off including cell phones,it was a
brutal experience

9:07am
how can i get ahold of him?

9:08am
ii have lost all my contact to the muggers
We are freaked out here,have been to the embassy and the police they
are not helping issues at all

9:12am
really?what can i do??

9:13am
Thank God we still have our life and passport with us...I need your help?
Our return flight leaves less than 2-3 hours to this time and we are having a problem in sorting the hotel bill and get a cab down to the
airport
Wondering if you can loan me some few $$$ to sort out our hotel bills and take cab back to the airport. I promise to refund it back to you as soon as we get back home tomorrow

9:14am
how whould i do that??
i am actually off today what do i need to do?

9:16am
You can have it wired to me via western union money transfer
All what you need at the western union is my name and my present location.

9:16am
which is where? dont i need the address to your nearest western union

9:17am
here is the info needed
Receiver's Name:Tricia Panzarello
London SW11 4ND, United Kingdom

9:17am
how much do you need?

9:18am

9:19am
i will see what i can do is there any other contact info i need?

no

who was all with you?
have you gotten medical attention

yes
how long can you get the money wired to me?

9:20am
let me ask my husband how soon we can get going

9:20am
okay
can you email me when you are done with the transfer incase am not online

9:22am
yes

[email protected]
can you send me test email now to confirm you have the right email?
??
ok ok

Chat (9)
Chat
Friend Lists Options

Pop In Chat
Pop Out Chat Cyndi
[email protected]
can you send me test email now to confirm you have the right email?
??
???

9:26am
ok yes i have the email
i will get back to you as soon as i can
please be safe and my love 9:26am
give me a test email to know if i gave you the correct email
email me now
[email protected]
to you9:26am
give me a test email to know if i gave you the correct email
email me now
[email protected]

then i ended conversation

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dave, it's a classic scam. The dead giveaway is when the question of contacting you is ignored, in favor of 'just wire money".
Good thing the recipient called you, indeed.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yea I know. They even set up a e-mail on yahoo under my wifes maiden name,

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
wow.... people are getting smart these days in scams
This one has been around [via email] for years, but I guess sometimes, it works.
Facebook can delete the account, but the scammer will create another, easy as creating a phony email, in anyone's name.
Buyer [and believers] beware, as always.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would asap. They have some internal things they may be able to do and no doubt work with London's finest.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too bad they can't be found and accidentally fall down a very long flight of concrete stairs.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Too bad they can't be found and accidentally fall down a very long flight of concrete stairs.

I agree Leo. The person that this was sent to was so upset until they call me.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Dave ,did your wife get the 1200 I sent her,just kidding,Ive seen this scam many times on yahoo,its been around for years
just had load to Laredo dry run,sucks especially after a 250 mile dead head
if I dont talk to you happy holidays

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If the sender doesn't really know you or your family. Why not ask about a fictitious child, pet, what ever. If they answer oh there fine, say it's on it's way.:p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
See I think a lot of people don't really get this part when you sign up for these sites and provide info to "connect" with people, it opens you up for problems with ID theft and other issues.

Facebook in the past has not addressed a lot of the privacy issues, but been lax until July of this year when someone discovered or at least made it apparent that Facebook had some serious problems.

NO one knows for sure how much damage this could have caused, a lot of victims of ID theft don't always know where it comes from until they are almost ruined but I can tell you that putting information, even boring trivial stuff removes your barriers for protection and leaves you open for problems.

The funny thing that many of you don't get is you have absolutely no control over what happens to that information or who has access to it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Once you post anything to Facebook, having no control over it is putting it mildly. Whatever you post there becomes the property of Facebook forever. They can, and will, do whatever they want to with it. Even if you delete the stuff, and your account, whatever you've posted still belongs to Facebook, and they'll still have it even after you delete it. There are companies that data mine through Facebook to glean stuff about you and your associations and about the relationships between them. The Human Resources departments of many corporations use this information in the hiring process.

And now Facebook is a one-stop-shop for all your communications, putting text, e-mail and all other communications on one place to make it easy for you (and the data miners). For example, Facebook has made changes that let third party sites like Pandora and Yelp have access to personal info like your date of birth, sex, name, and email address, as well as whatever you and other write on your wall. Not a problem when it's innocuous when it's someone like Pandora, but it might be a problem if Pandora ever decides to partner with a health insurance provider like Blue Cross or Aetna.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As Turtle said, companies are going over Facebook daily in their hiring practices...I have a cousin that was told right up front at a job interview that he needed to provide his facebook page address so the employer could go there to see what was there...he didn't get the job and its a fair bet it was because of his facebook page...this same company has also made it company policy that all employees have to provide the company with their facebook page and it can be checked at anytime....

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Don't expect any concern from Facebook . Scams pop up daily and the most they will do is remove the offender as a member . Their security is very lax .

aileron

Expert Expediter
As Turtle said, companies are going over Facebook daily in their hiring practices...I have a cousin that was told right up front at a job interview that he needed to provide his facebook page address so the employer could go there to see what was there...he didn't get the job and its a fair bet it was because of his facebook page...this same company has also made it company policy that all employees have to provide the company with their facebook page and it can be checked at anytime....

Ha. How about if you don't have one? I don't have time for that foolishness.
A friend of mine was trying to get me to sign up telling me that everybody is there, like even so and so's grandmother, so I should be on there too. Sorry, not me.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Ha. How about if you don't have one? I don't have time for that foolishness.
A friend of mine was trying to get me to sign up telling me that everybody is there, like even so and so's grandmother, so I should be on there too. Sorry, not me.

Same here.

But isn't it an infringement on a person private life to ask for facebook details at a job interview?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same here.

But isn't it an infringement on a person private life to ask for facebook details at a job interview?

I'd guess that argument goes out the window when that private life is posted on public websites.

I don't do Facebook either. No one needs to know what I had for breakfast (btw it was toast and coffee today).

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Facebook can also be used to catch some bad [and stupid] people. Shortly after my daughter & her family moved from a rental house in Pa to one they bought in Fl, their tax refund check was delivered to the old house, and not forwarded. The IRS, after awhile, said it had been cashed in Pa, so my son in law did a bit of investigating, asking family & friends in Pa who was living in the old house, then found the culprits on Facebook.
They got arrested when the local bank identified them, and the check was reissued to the rightful recipients. :)