dogs

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I quoted you, as I have here, because my POSITION is that I disagree with what you said. The last time I checked, open forums were FOR ALL to post their positions, differing or not.

Get some sleep, will ya??

Yes your right. When you copy and paste what someone says and reply to it your saying it towards them. That's all I'm saying. You can post your position without flaming someone while your doing it. Alls good have a great nite and be safe on the road.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I got food poisoning on a run to Texas so dispatch sent in a truck to transfer the load. The load was real heavy and we were only a couple of hours from the drop so the other guy just drove my truck and we brought along his hairy little co-driver too. Just that short little run to the drop and then back to his truck sure made me wish I had a dog along with me too. He was real good company. They are a little more work but they reduce the effect of being a hermit living in a tin box.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
You don't know that you didn't lose two loads a week, most carriers have notes on a truck with dogs. Some customers have notes that say no trucks with pets. So really you don't know, because these loads wouldn't be offered to you anyway because you have a pet. Really I don't care if you take your dog, it's not my truck. Someone asked and I responded, I wasn't trying rain on your happiness of your pet. If you want a pet in your truck more power to ya. It's your truck, not mine. But why the nasty post when nothing was even said to you?

BRUNO: you are correct when saying that dispatch has notes on your vehicle concerning whether or not you have a pet, special equipment (lift gate, pallet jack, etc), whether or not you'll do canada or NYC, plus a whole lot more. AND, once again, you are correct when you said that you might not know if you miss a lolad because you have a pet. I know that when I was out on the road with my dog alongside me, there were times when we were the only truck in the area able to do a load and dispatch would tell us that one of us needed to get out of the truck with the dog before we pulled onto the shippers/consignees lot. No problem! I also know that we did miss some loads because we had the dog but that was ok because we chose to bring our dog with us. We knew that by bringing him on the road, we'd miss some revenue and we were fine with that. Having a pet in your vehicle WILL cause you to miss a load here and there...whether you realize it or not. That's the price we pay for having our beloved pet with us on the road. TEAMCAFFEE can tell you roughly how much revenue they've missed out on because they take their beloved MOLLY with them.
Great response and observation BRUNO! :)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
BRUNO: you are correct when saying that dispatch has notes on your vehicle concerning whether or not you have a pet, special equipment (lift gate, pallet jack, etc), whether or not you'll do canada or NYC, plus a whole lot more. AND, once again, you are correct when you said that you might not know if you miss a lolad because you have a pet. I know that when I was out on the road with my dog alongside me, there were times when we were the only truck in the area able to do a load and dispatch would tell us that one of us needed to get out of the truck with the dog before we pulled onto the shippers/consignees lot. No problem! I also know that we did miss some loads because we had the dog but that was ok because we chose to bring our dog with us. We knew that by bringing him on the road, we'd miss some revenue and we were fine with that. Having a pet in your vehicle WILL cause you to miss a load here and there...whether you realize it or not. That's the price we pay for having our beloved pet with us on the road. TEAMCAFFEE can tell you roughly how much revenue they've missed out on because they take their beloved MOLLY with them.
Great response and observation BRUNO! :)

Thank you, I was just trying to point that out. I wasn't saying that having a pet is a bad thing. I know you can't have a pet in the truck if you want to be in White Glove Services at FedEx Custom Critical. I think it would be cool to have a little dog in the truck. Every time I see a team with a little dog in the truck I wish I had one with me.

guido4475

Not a Member
I dont have my dog with me now, and I dearly miss him.There just isnt enough room for him in the van, and I know he misses it dearly.He has been in the truck since he was a puppy. He is a doberman/manchester terrier mix, about 35# full grown, and I can honestly say he is the best dog I have seen or owned.I spoil the heck out of him, and he deserves every bit of it. He doesnt touch a thing. Nothing.I once just got done making dinner in the truck, and had to go outside for a quick minute, and do you know when I came back in, the plate of food was still on the bed, untouched, with him still laying next to it? What kind of dog is that well-behaved? anyway, sorry to brag on my dog, but A dog can make a bad day seem all the much better when he comes up to you and lays next to you, as you all know.We should have a section on here where people can show pics of their pets, etc, updating them occasionally.It would be nice.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I have waited outside a shipper or receiver because they don't allow pets but that is few and far between. I will make that sacrifice to have our dog with us. He's been in the truck since he was 7 weeks old, and he's the most well mannered dog we've ever had.
I do agree with what Guido said earlier, I've seen people driving with a dog or cat in their lap, and to me, that's just crazy! Our dog knows that when the truck is running he isn't allowed on drivers side and he doesn't go there.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have talked with White Glove drivers and the difference between their income and ours with similar trucks can be several thousand dollars a year. It is expensive in more ways then one to have a dog in the truck. Molly get shots that will protect her in all parts of the country, she also has flea and tick medicine all year around as well as heart worm medicine. She drinks bottled water to help keep her from getting sick from drinking so many different kinds of water. We also have to run our generator more then we would without a dog. Molly did not ask to come out on the road and so it is our responsibility to make sure she is always kept cool or warm depending on the season. We park in areas where we can take her for a walk. She also has a coat for when it is exceptional cold and she also has rain gear. She is a spoiled dog who will turn 14 in November.
In return Molly is most often the highlight of our day. She usually sits staring between the steering wheel and the dash waiting for our return. If one of us is out of the truck she watches for that person. She is great company and a comfort to us at all times. Molly is also well behaved and is not a barker and she enjoys meeting new people.
It is a personal decision to have a pet in the truck and suffer the expenses of them.

To some people a pet is not worth it and to others the pet more then pays for themselves. To us and to many others out here trucking the dog is worth the price we have to pay.

When Molly passes away and should we choose to get another dog we will look for a dog that is not high strung and laid back. We do know of a couple that has two miniature Jack Russel terriers in their truck and the "girls" behave very well. Look for a dog that fits you and also will fit with life on the road or you will both be miserable.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not know Greg as Molly has always used Frontline and we have never had a problem.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I think a cat is a good road companion as it can use a litter box and you don't have to walk it, when it is snowing or raining

Dingle, my cat, agrees with you. He has never barked, but he does have a nasty habit of hitting the air horn.
I use Advantage for flea and tick control with him.
Just a quick hijack, a lot of Petsmarts have Banfield vet clinics. They offer free office visits with the purchase of immunizations on Tuesdays. (Some are Thursdays also, check on line.) They aren't connected by computer with each other, but since we carry all of our medical records that's not a biggie.
Back to the D O G discussion, if Dingle would let me have one, it'd be a Basset. :D

Attachments

• 042609 good catnip.jpg
    042609 good catnip.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've got three dogs and two cats, not in my truck though
and we use frontline or whatever the vet recommends and we don't have a single flea in our house. Now if we could only do something about the hair :rolleyes:

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Re: dogs, gotta love em

Hi Guy's, OTR trucker most of my life, and had a dog the biggest part of the time. Medium and small they loved me and I loved them. What more can you ask for, never lost a load because of it, also did not parade them around when I was loading.
Later Gizmo

iluvburritos

Seasoned Expediter
For us, she is not only the best dog to bring along, she is the only dog we will ever bring along. She is our little Tiki.

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My Mom was along for the ride the other day. She brought her Minature Schnauzer Pepper with her. I had a delivery at the Walmart Dist center. Out of curiosity after this thread I asked about their dog policy.
Dogs are allowed in trucks but not in the OTR drivers breakroom
The lady stated in all seriousness and with out blinking an eye.
"The only dogs allowed in the breakroom would be the drivers seeing eye dogs"
I hope none of their drivers need seeing eye dogs:eek::eek:

I am not making this up!!!

iluvburritos

Seasoned Expediter
My Mom was along for the ride the other day. She brought her Minature Schnauzer Pepper with her. I had a delivery at the Walmart Dist center. Out of curiosity after this thread I asked about their dog policy.
Dogs are allowed in trucks but not in the OTR drivers breakroom
The lady stated in all seriousness and with out blinking an eye.
"The only dogs allowed in the breakroom would be the drivers seeing eye dogs"
I hope none of their drivers need seeing eye dogs:eek::eek:

I am not making this up!!!

Thats funny!!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in the 70's when I first started to drive truck,company truck,they didnt have a no pet policy.I had a German Shephard puppy and took him every where I went.In my car truck,he would even try to ride on my motorcycle.
The dog got big like most Shephards,and had this habit of riding on my lap.This dog was the smartest dog Ive ever trained,but i just couldnt get him off my lap.
The reason Im writing this,about what the Wal Mart lady said,I had a harness for the dog like the dogs have to help the blind.As the dog would work as a sited friend,it was a trip to walk around the truck stop thinking I was blind,especially when they saw me get from behind the wheel.I left Chip at home one trip,and someone shot him,
haven't had a dog in the truck since,in fact havent owned a dog since