dogs

guido4475

Not a Member
Something of reasonable size and well-trained to be good with people as well as protective.I know of a driver that has 2 airedale's in his truck. These dogs are huge.I mean, c'mon, who needs 2 huge dogs in a truck? Or there was a M.S. Carriers driver I ran in to that had (get this) 12 poodles in his truck. I counted them.It is this kind of stupidity that will ruin it for the responsible people out there.Or how about the drivers that let the dog sit on their lap, head out the window, as they are driving? Believe me, eventually some one will get into a fatal accident because of this kind of distraction.If anyone is going to take a dog with them, that is a good thing, it takes away from the loneliness and boredom, and it will get you out of the truck more often, plus provide protection.But, please, be responsible and use common sense.And carry all vetrinarian records with you in the truck.

PyleDriver

Not a Member
best kind of dog to take on the road

Plush-Dog-Toys.jpg

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried having a lab/pit mix with me, started out good since he as 8 weeks old, Bythe time he hit 1 year old he weighed 102 pounds and hated everybody, he's now retired and lives a spoiled life at home.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Jack Russell Terriers! They are great on the road plus they make great little guard dogs.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I've always taken my black lab with me. He was always well behaved, loved to ride, and was great protection. He's 16 now and can hardly move from the effects of a stroke last year. Unfortunately his days riding in the truck are now over.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
A stuffed one that you can get at the fair. You don't have to feed it. It don't cost you a load because the shipper don't want a truck with a dog in it at there place of business. We all love dogs, but we are in this business to make money. You never took your dog to work with you at a 9 to 5 job. If having a dog in your truck cost you from getting two loads a month, they are not worth having in the truck.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
A stuffed one that you can get at the fair. You don't have to feed it. It don't cost you a load because the shipper don't want a truck with a dog in it at there place of business. We all love dogs, but we are in this business to make money. You never took your dog to work with you at a 9 to 5 job. If having a dog in your truck cost you from getting two loads a month, they are not worth having in the truck.

Hate to disappoint but we don't lose 2 loads a YEAR because of our dogs so that's not correct.

No, didn't take the dogs with us when we worked other jobs but we didn't LIVE ON THE JOB either. Wrong again.

Look, we had our dogs before we got our truck and I cannot imagine life without them, on OR off the truck.

PS....I also did not take the following items to work with me every day either.....TV, XM radio, laptop computers, I-pods, cameras, camcorders....need I go on?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Hate to disappoint but we don't lose 2 loads a YEAR because of our dogs so that's not correct.

No, didn't take the dogs with us when we worked other jobs but we didn't LIVE ON THE JOB either. Wrong again.

Look, we had our dogs before we got our truck and I cannot imagine life without them, on OR off the truck.

PS....I also did not take the following items to work with me every day either.....TV, XM radio, laptop computers, I-pods, cameras, camcorders....need I go on?

You don't know that you didn't lose two loads a week, most carriers have notes on a truck with dogs. Some customers have notes that say no trucks with pets. So really you don't know, because these loads wouldn't be offered to you anyway because you have a pet. Really I don't care if you take your dog, it's not my truck. Someone asked and I responded, I wasn't trying rain on your happiness of your pet. If you want a pet in your truck more power to ya. It's your truck, not mine. But why the nasty post when nothing was even said to you?

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
what is the best kind of dog to take on the road with you

Everyone has their favorites. I like Dakota's suggestions as they are couch potatoes and I could see me living with ONE large dog in the truck, if I can help him in and out as some of them cannot jump that high.

I don't like the terrier idea (sorry Lawrence) because just the word "terrier" chases me off as most are on the hyper side.

Our's are shih tzus and they ARE couch potatoes BUT they do require grooming which could be a minus for some..HOWEVER, they do not shed as they have hair, not fur. Some of the short-haired dogs APPEAR to be lower maintenance but could, in the long run, make you crazy with the shedding. There are other breeds that also have hair and don't shed.

The bottom line is YOU have to choose what's best for YOU. Do your homework using your preferences. Even if you're getting a rescue, know enough background of the mixes to give you some idea of what to expect.

Might sound like a whole lot of effort for some but keep in mind that it's a commitment for a certain amount of years and too many incorrect choices end up in shelters and that's just not fair for the dog.

PS...A collapsing carrier always comes in handy for the times that the dog must be left in the truck alone, especially when a puppy is still chewing things and wants nothing more than to EAT THE ENTIRE INSIDE OF YOUR TRUCK!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You don't know that you didn't lose two loads a week, most carriers have notes on a truck with dogs. Some customers have notes that say no trucks with pets. So really you don't know, because these loads wouldn't be offered to you anyway because you have a pet. Really I don't care if you take your dog, it's not my truck. Someone asked and I responded, I wasn't trying rain on your happiness of your pet. If you want a pet in your truck more power to ya. It's your truck, not mine. But why the nasty post when nothing was even said to you?

I think your reading something into her post, I went back and reread it to see if it was nasty, I didn't find it nasty, she was just stating her position. nuff said:)

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Sorry if you were offended, I didn't think the post was nasty.

It can be said that carriers have notes about the dogs but once in a while it doesn't look that way. Example: Recently we took a weekend load that delivered close to the house. DD took it to delivery on Monday morning while I was at home with the dogs. Low and behold, the receiver did not allow pets, something that WAS NOT included in the notes for the load.

Again, didn't intend to be nasty but your comparison to a 9 to 5 job concerning the dogs doesn't wash with me and you might want to take another look at the tone you used with the poster, yes we're out here to make money but everyone needs a soft place to land and for many of us, that place is with our beloved dogs.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I think your reading something into her post, I went back and reread it to see if it was nasty, I didn't find it nasty, she was just stating her position. nuff said:)

If it wasn't meant to be towards me then why even copy what I said? Then turn around and say "wrong again". You can say how you stand on things without throwing stones. I just made my postion on having dogs in a truck can cost you some loads. She hadn't even posted on this subject and came back with a post towards me on what my positon was. But anyway, dogs are great to have in the truck if that is what you like. If I had one it would be a Jack Russell.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Sorry if you were offended, I didn't think the post was nasty.

It can be said that carriers have notes about the dogs but once in a while it doesn't look that way. Example: Recently we took a weekend load that delivered close to the house. DD took it to delivery on Monday morning while I was at home with the dogs. Low and behold, the receiver did not allow pets, something that WAS NOT included in the notes for the load.

Again, didn't intend to be nasty but your comparison to a 9 to 5 job concerning the dogs doesn't wash with me and you might want to take another look at the tone you used with the poster, yes we're out here to make money but everyone needs a soft place to land and for many of us, that place is with our beloved dogs.

No problem, you know how men are. We can be touchey on things. It's like reading a message from the QC sometimes and taking it the wrong way. I took it the wrong way and I'm sorry.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
If it wasn't meant to be towards me then why even copy what I said? Then turn around and say "wrong again". You can say how you stand on things without throwing stones. I just made my postion on having dogs in a truck can cost you some loads. She hadn't even posted on this subject and came back with a post towards me on what my positon was. But anyway, dogs are great to have in the truck if that is what you like. If I had one it would be a Jack Russell.

I quoted you, as I have here, because my POSITION is that I disagree with what you said. The last time I checked, open forums were FOR ALL to post their positions, differing or not.

Get some sleep, will ya??