Dispatch Favoritism

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I agree but if I am numero uno then I should get the first offer. If a domestic load comes up, I should get the offer. It should be my decision to take that load or wait for a Canadian load to come down the pike. Same thing for team drivers.
If I were part of a team and it was 19:00 maybe I might want to run a mini and make a quick buck. But I can't if I get skipped over.

Personally I also agree that you should get the first offer, and it should be your decision to take it or leave it BUT what if the first offer out of a dead place is a mini, or crap load.. i)you decline, and go to bottom of list? or ii)you take it and come back to sit at bottom of list?

I can see how it would become impossible to please anyone, unless of course they were able to use common sense and let you decline or run it, and remain at top of list? But then how fair would that be to #2?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Back in the 60's the USAF decided to replace some of its strategic bomber units with Titan missles.

Before his B-52 wing was transferred from a base that was installing Titan missle silos, my dad happened to be taking a tour of an active silo.

He asked the Fire Control Officer about the safeguards that would prevent an unauthorized launch. The officer boasted about the technology in play that would eliminate any possibility of such an occurrence.

After the officer drifted away a lowly TSgt who was performing a systems check, and knew my dad personally, said, "Do you remember that officer telling you about the lauch sequence light tree?" My dad said yes, "The cycle has to show green lights on all three launch panels." The tech said, "Watch the panels." As my dad turned toward the launch panels all the launch tree panels momentarily cycled to green. Just for a millisecond, but the system did what the technology expert (NOT!) said it could not do.

It is simply human nature to push the envelope. Think not. I challenge you to put a sign that says, "Don't Touch, Wet Paint" on the crash rail surrounding the fuel island at a truck stop. Then sit in your truck where you can watch. Guaranteed that folks will touch the rail to see if it is really wet. I have actuall y done something similar where my video monitoring cam could watch folks entering and exiting a foyer to my place of business. We counted 75% of the customers touching the wall where the sign was hung.

So much for computers. So much for human nature.

I have to think, "Why in the face of verifiable evidence, would someone defend an obviously flawed and vunerable system." Quite possibly the volume of emails and PM's to me regarding particular carriers and contractors, allows me a deeper understanding of the motive.

I simply admit it, I have asked for favoritism and have received favoritism. I am not proud that my request was honored, especially after I learned that another unit who had driven 100 miles was QC'd and told the load was cancelled, but I am honest enough to admit that favortism does exist. Ah yes, there in lies the crux...our flesh does not want to publicly admit that we have been the recipient of favoritism.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
In your described situation, I agree you should be offered the load first instead of being bypassed because you are able to go to Canada and the other trucks are not.
When we were with FedEx WG, we were often put on WG lock so we'd be available for those loads. I understand the reasoning, but it's still irritating to watch another truck leave on a run that you could have take just as easily. And you end up sitting for another day.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I'm not sure why this thread has gotten so far afield of my initial post, but it has. I was prompted to share my opinions because of the many negative comments in EO posts related to drivers repeatedly being dispatched around and believing that they were the victims of dispatch favoritism. My intent was to provide many of the reasons that drivers might consider before jumping to the conclusion that their FedEx Custom Critical, and perhaps other carrier dispatchers are showing favoritism toward other drivers.

Those that read my post should have had no trouble seeing that I repeatedly stated that my comments were my opinions based on several years of familiarity with the FedEx Custom Critical dispatch system. I provided some personal background so the reader could determine if my comments were appropriate to their situation or had any merit. My personal, professional, private and public opinion is that dispatch favoritism at FedEx Custom Critical is rare because of software safeguards and supervisor oversight procedures that are in place.

I enjoyed David's discussion of his Dad's experience in a Titan missle silo. His comments were helpful in showing that the microsecond green light display, much like dispatch favoritism, might have a cause other than flawed computer software. The TSgt who was performing a systems check might just have depressed a green light display button, that is used to ensure that each of them lights properly, to fool his Dad. I have touched many "wet paint" signs myself; my continued employment was never in jeopardy for touching those signs.

I have seen no verifiable evidence that my carrier's current system is flawed and, flawed or otherwise, I'm not defending it, just expressing one man's opinion that dispatch favoritism there is rare. My one and only motive is to share some positive comments with fellow EO members and lurkers. I suspect that the majority of our readers trust in the honesty of my comments, even though there are others that do not.

Those persons that wish to work with a system that allows dispatch favoritism might consider leasing on with David's carrier. These are my last words on the subject; there's nothing else to add.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When sitting with a dispatcher we have watched a truck with a White Glove lock be the next truck to be dispatched on a load. The dispatcher has to call a White Glove dispatcher and ask that the lock be removed so they can send them a load offer, the White Glove dispatcher can either say yes you can have the truck or no I am holding the truck for this reason. If they receive a no the dispatcher must once again put notes on that trucks screen to by pass them. The point of the whole computer system is that you cannot bypass a truck and send another truck a load offer without first putting a code and notes in the truck at the top of the list. The computer will not even let you send a load or a load offer to a truck without first putting codes and reasons in all the trucks in the queue before the one who actually gets the load. Those codes and notes are monitored very closely to prevent favoritism.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I simply admit it, I have asked for favoritism and have received favoritism. I am not proud that my request was honored, especially after I learned that another unit who had driven 100 miles was QC'd and told the load was cancelled, but I am honest enough to admit that favortism does exist. Ah yes, there in lies the crux...our flesh does not want to publicly admit that we have been the recipient of favoritism.

Now that is really disturbing; it begs to have people look back and think about any times 'their' load has been cancelled, and wonder if they were just being lied to instead, even if they'd already driven 100 miles to get to it.

And somehow, it just seems all the worse that such a favor would be asked for and accepted by a person who touts himself as reverend.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Important points I've noticed but that bear repeating are that when people are involved they will find a way to work any given system to their advantage and that each company is different so the levels of favoritism will also be different. I have no direct Fedex experience but based on information presented here it sounds like their system has many safeguards and keeps favoritism to a minimum. Other carriers mileage will vary so broad brushes aren't the best choice in this topic.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Just a note to let those of us at FDCC know you can check on about 80% of the loads you are dispatched on or offered by going to the Fedex web site and putting in the load number where you track a package and see if it really cancelled or if it was picked and when, also when it delivered. I do this all the time, some that won't show are ones that have multiple stops and sometimes Canadian loads. Just an FYI.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quote from terry:
I'm not sure why this thread has gotten so far afield of my initial post, but it has.

I can't see where it drifted too far off...your intial post was to comment that at FDCC favourtism is rare in your personal experiences and contacts with FDCC...with others commenting about thier experiences and carriers....

So you make a post thats you don't want comments? Did you want a bunch of affirmatives? You had to have known with experience where the thread would head ....you've been around a long time not too have known...

Ok here it is...
I agree to the best of my knowledge and experience at Fedex RARELY is there favourtism but at other carriers it occurs in different ways.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I simply admit it, I have asked for favoritism and have received favoritism.

Well, I have stories to tell too, and more on point than one about a missle silo. I have asked for dispatch favoritism and have NOT received it. Our early requests were made when we were new in the business, before we fully understood the corporate norms and issues involved.

As fleet owners sometimes do, our fleet owner suggested to us that he had connections at FedEx. When we asked him to pull strings to help get us moving, he could not deliver. It seems that while he and his wife knew some of "higher-ups" at the company, and some of the dispatchers, that did not translate into anything that could be leveraged into special dispatch favors.

Do you remember the Expediters Helping Expediters story? Not told in it is was a favoritism request I made that was not honored.

After their accident, Glen and Janice Rice were told by several high ranking people at FedEx "If there is anything we can do, let us know" or "If there is anything you need, let us know" or words to that effect.

Given the household moving help the Rices needed at the time and the lengths two FedEx Custom Critical teams were willing to go to provide it (along with other amazingly generous expediters from other carriers), it did not seem unreasonable to me to act on those words. On behalf of the Rices, and invoking their name, I asked for help getting the two trucks to Florida, one from Los Angeles and one from Denver.

Some of these higher-ups were people I also knew. This was a request made by me, personally, to others who knew the Rices and the other team.

The other team was older than dirt with FedEx Custom Critical, well known and well liked by many in the office, and was a company poster child by virtue of being a national competitor in the Chairman's Challenge. At that time, Diane and I were far enough along to have made some friends of our own at FedEx, had established ourselves as top producers, and had done a fair number of favors (crap loads they needed help with) for dispatch.

You would think that if anyone could get a favor granted, it would be these teams under these circumstances. What happened? Not a darn thing. Dispatch had several days to find freight that would have moved us toward Florida and we got not a whiff of any.

The other truck deadheaded all the way to Florida at their own expense. We got a run from LA to Chicago and deadheaded from there. That run is one we have done a few times and it came to us as any other truck in the order would have received it.

So, readers, please note that while the good Reverened claims to have asked and received favors, I'm here to share that we have also asked and received squat, and I don't need stories about missle silos or human nature to make the point.

There is absolutely nothing in my near five years of experience with FedEx Custom Critical that leads me to believe that dispatch favoritsm there is a regular occurance. I will grant that it is a rare occurance, perhaps owing to human nature, but when it is discovered, it is the company's nature to fire the errant human. In such an environment, it is human nature for employees to not engage in dispatch favoritism, but to resist it.

I simply admit it, I have asked for favoritism and have received favoritism.

I do not know what carrier you are affiliated with, Reverened. I can say with reasonable confidence, that if it was FedEx Custom Critical, and you shared the details, and the details could be verified, the dispatcher in question would fear for his or her job.

Beyond the times mentioned above, Diane and I have not asked for dispatch favors. First, we now understand how doing so would be unfair to others (early on, we did not know dispatch favoritism was not a corporate culture norm). Second, we have learned it is a futile request.

Last edited:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
It may be prudent to ask all of the details surrounding a particular statement before passing judgment. Attacking those who God has ordained is not a wise thing to do. (2 Kings 2:23-24).

Not that I have to defend my statements, but I do take into account the times in which we live, and those places on this globe that are extremely resistant to the Word of God; therefore, in the spirit of Proverbs 26:5 I'll help you with some additional information.

I was offered that load on my way home. It was a Friday afternoon and the original offer was to pick up on Friday and deliver on Monday. Great! I am in Virginia, I just drove all night, delivered that load and now I can pick up another load, grab some sleep, drive to the house and deliver in Illinois on Monday morning.

As I was back tracking the 30 miles to get that load, the QC beeps. It now changes to two stops, one delivering early Saturday morning. I called dispatch and requested that they send another unit to take the amended offer, because I had only agreed to take the first leg of the load. My concern was not having enough rest to safely transport the freight.

I was looking for a workable solution, but due to a lack of sleep I couldn't immediately figure out how to do this. The dispatcher also couldn't figure out a workable solution so she simply took me off the load. The dispatcher sent a "Load Offer" to the next closest unit. The unit never got a confirmation, but it starting moving toward the shipper. About 30 minutes went by and I finally got a QC message stating, "disregard due to previous phone conversation."

Now I am livid. I called a manager and explained my situation. She called me back and asked if I could get enough sleep to load later on that evening and then make a 536 mile trip. I said, "Yes". It took a third party to look at the possibilities and make a phone call to the shipper to change the pick up time. That manager was thinking "Outside The Box." She also did not know that the dispatcher had sent a "Load Offer" to the other unit. It was in a very remote area and I was surprised when I initially got the first load offer.

Unfortunately, by the time the manager had worked through all the details with the shipper, so that I could safely take both loads, about 90 minutes had transpired. I can not say whether or not the dispatcher looked at the QC info and saw that the unit had moved 100 miles before she sent a "Disregard Offer/Load Cancelled" message.

I was at the office about two weeks later and while thanking the manager for finding a solution to that situation, I sensed something was wrong. It was then that the manager informed me that the other unit had moved 100 miles toward that shipper's location.

Being a Christian, and someone who actually reads the Word of God, I know that God honors righteousness. On the day in question, that manager and myself were completely unaware of the disposition of the unit that moved those 100 miles. Both of us were grieved when we learned that they had moved on a "Load Offer." God's foreknowledge saw that both of us were saddened by this unfortunate incident and that there was no malice on our part; therefore, the manager had already paid for a "Dry Run" which more than compensated them for the fuel and the unit's move actually positioned it to where it got an excellent run the very same day.

Yes, I asked a good manager for a favor. I asked if there was some way that I could keep the load. A good manager picked up the phone and worked with the shipper. I would never ask anyone to take away someone else's load. I would not do that now, nor did I do so on that day either.

FYI - If the manager had not compensated them, I would have sent them a check to cover their miles. I'll even PM the manager's email address to you and you can ask them for yourself if I would have done as I stated. Think about the next time you chose to smear God's face into the dirt, because when you attack the man of God, God takes that personally.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
David your a darned nice guy BUT please don't throw your a man of the cloth in our faces because someone doesn't agree with you or disputes your point....
To me your just another driver who happens to expedites..what you do in your spare time is of no consequence to me.....
I really didn't think you were the type to use your man of the cloth position as a shield and try make others feel bad.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He's not saying he's a man of the cloth, he's saying he IS the cloth.

It may be prudent to ask all of the details surrounding a particular statement before passing judgment. Attacking those who God has ordained is not a wise thing to do. (2 Kings 2:23-24).

God Himself ordained you? Puhleeze.

Not that I have to defend my statements, but I do take into account the times in which we live, and those places on this globe that are extremely resistant to the Word of God; therefore, in the spirit of Proverbs 26:5 I'll help you with some additional information.
Well, first of all, why don't you have to defend your statements? Everyone else does. What makes you so special that you don't think you should have to defend yours?

Second, what does being resistant to the Word of God have to do with your statements? Now you're saying that when you speak, it's God speaking?

Think about the next time you chose to smear God's face into the dirt, because when you attack the man of God, God takes that personally.
A true man of God would never make such a statement about himself. You're just mad because we refuse to take your words as Gospel. It's not. The fact that you got so mad as to become livid at the dispatch misunderstanding, a misunderstanding that is relatively common in the expediting industry, makes it quite plain that you have an uncontrollable temper when you don't get your way. That is not the mark of a man of God. It's the mark of a delusional false prophet.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Attacking those who God has ordained is not a wise thing to do. (2 Kings 2:23-24).

Think about the next time you chose to smear God's face into the dirt, because when you attack the man of God, God takes that personally.[/quote]

To suggest that those who disagree with, or question you, are "smearing God's face in the dirt" is the single most objectionable and outrageous statement I've EVER read on this site.
Do you really believe, Reverend, that you are more important to God than everyone else?
And do you also feel that your beliefs should rule everyone else's behavior?
I strongly disagree.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15

I'm sure there's also a verse in the Gideon about those who declare themselves to be superior and above criticism, but I just don't feel like looking for it right now. At any rate, comparing oneself to an Old Testament Prophet strikes me as a little strange.

Reactions: 1 person

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This might be a good time to redirect this to the original topic of "dispatch favoritism".

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Okay. The only folks I've ever heard complain of favoritism in dispatch, are complaining because they aren't the favored party, which makes me wonder whether it's just how they deal with waiting, when the next load is a long time coming.
Favoritism is not a smart business practice, though, and I have never seen any evidence of its' existence. Which could be because I'm not looking for any, having enough to do already.;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Okay. The only folks I've ever heard complain of favoritism in dispatch, are complaining because they aren't the favored party, which makes me wonder whether it's just how they deal with waiting, when the next load is a long time coming.
Favoritism is not a smart business practice, though, and I have never seen any evidence of its' existence. Which could be because I'm not looking for any, having enough to do already.;)

Have to agree. Most of the time I hear this, the complainers are also unhappy with a great many other things. It is a business. Percieved or not, it may happen, or maybe it doesn't.
I wouldn't let myself get into a position that it would matter.