Dispatch Favoritism

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle..We get dispatched around as well...and dispatch even admits it openly so there's no confusion...they hand out short runs to singles and save us for the team run...thats if there are singles to dispatch the shortes too.

As far as the QC rounding up...ours will do the same thing...we have found if we send a message or query when we arrive it triggers the computer to refresh our position....this way they get an accurate read.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Wow! Embarrassed here. It has been years since I used code 61. I forgot it even existed. Thanks for the reminder.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am of the mindset that if there is human intervention, then there is likely some degree of favoritism. It may be cloaked as something else like "selective load distribution", but it is essentially the same thing. With the larger carriers, many loads are booked in blocks and then distributed accordingly to their trucks. Trucks may be dispatched in a certain order, but the load distributions can be manipulated in many different ways.
If the carrier has any type of load acceptance policy, then you essentially have "favoritism". If not, then what would be the point in having it?
This usually shows up in the posts where someone has turned down 10 cheap load offers in a row and is still sitting.
This is a place where booking your own freight has it advantages. Your always first out if you want to be.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would think that booking your own freight would carry favoritism to the extreme.

First, if booking your own freight is the solution, why bother affiliating with a carrier at all?

Second, if you are in the business of booking your own freight (own-authority), your very survival depends on being the favorite, does it not? You must be the favorite either by pricing your services cheap or providing a level of service the shipper desires.

If you book your own freight and are not the shipper's favorite or one of them, you are left with an empty truck, are you not?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would think that booking your own freight would carry favoritism to the extreme.

First, if booking your own freight is the solution, why bother affiliating with a carrier at all?

Second, if you are in the business of booking your own freight (own-authority), your very survival depends on being the favorite, does it not? You must be the favorite either by pricing your services cheap or providing a level of service the shipper desires.

If you book your own freight and are not the shipper's favorite or one of them, you are left with an empty truck, are you not?

Booking your own freight is "A" solution, but not the only one. It has its advantages "IF" you want to exercise them.
Affiating yourself with a carrier provides more or additional opportunites. Additionally, the carrier provides cheaper insurance, collections, and a host of other items that running under your own authority doesn't provide.
But of course, that comes at a cost. In our case, 15 percent.
If that changed, then of course you weigh up running under your own authority.
If by chance you aren't "the shipper's favorite", then simply go to another shipper. Same school of thought whether a small or large operator.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the carrier has any type of load acceptance policy, then you essentially have "favoritism". If not, then what would be the point in having it?

Exactly!

Also having more qualifications can come into play. Having a Sprinter, liftgate, reefer, Canada qualified or as OVM mentioned, being a team. This can lead to being skipped over just in case dispatch may need this type of equipment later. I got passed on a load because I was qualified for Canada and the driver next to me was not. He was also making 5 or 6 c.p.m. less, so there I sat.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot said "He was also making 5 or 6 c.p.m. less, so there I sat."

I always wondered why P2 doesn't just cancel older existing contracts and have a uniform rate...this would eliminate the "suspicion" that the higher rated truck gets passed over for this reason. Typically you could have 3 identical trucks side by side all with different per mile rates.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Favoritism?

Well I have seen first hand this happen.

Dispatchers will pass over contractors that have shown poor performance with eithier on time pick up and deliver or that exhibit bad communication skills. Or flat out pass over drivers that are jerks to deal with!

Dispatchers will at time give more loads to contractors that have proven to be on time, have nice attitudes and are easy to deal with, or that have done crappy loads as favors for said dispatcher in the past

Another way I have seen favoritism occur is the old kick back system...this is usually performed by scumbag dispatchers that want money or gifts for said loads.

O/O love the throw around that we are "contractors" all the time. Well when it comes to getting loads think of yourself as a contractor like a plummer, builder etc. You have to show the dispatcher you are a "ON-TIME" top performing contractor with a good attitude and maybe you will get more contracts or errrrr loads.

This is how it is! I know there will be repsonses this isn't fair and blah blah blah..but this is my observations for what it's worth. As a "contractor" you have to play the contractor game and deal with dispatch this way. IMO to biggest mistake a driver can make is have a real crappy attitude with dispatch. A dispatcher will NEVER forget a driver that was a jerk on the phone..it will take 10 good loads to stick out in a dispatchers mind that you are a good "Go-to" driver and warrant the good loads for the brand new customer that cannot be delivered late..but only takes one bad phone conversation to be on the poop -list of a dispatcher.

It's not fair, but life isn't fair. Business is REAL tight in the industry, so it's up to dispatchers to find the right contractor to take care of the customer or another carrier will.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Exactly!

Also having more qualifications can come into play. Having a Sprinter, liftgate, reefer, Canada qualified or as OVM mentioned, being a team. This can lead to being skipped over just in case dispatch may need this type of equipment later. I got passed on a load because I was qualified for Canada and the driver next to me was not. He was also making 5 or 6 c.p.m. less, so there I sat.

That being said, those conditions could work to your advantage as well. You get the load because you have the lift gate, reefer, Canada qualified etc. I also see where acceptance rating could bump you in the "favoritism" category. Would seem to me, if you know your numbers, that it doesn't matter where you fall in the list. You take the load if it makes you money, you decline the load if you're going to lose money. It's only a cheap load if you don't make what you need to make to be profitable

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vinnie...You nailed it!!! Exactly

When they speak of a computer making a determination..I think of Terminator! Good ole fashion common sense can't be replaced by a computer. There's too many tangibles for a computer to make a fair assessment of some situations in this business. The computer is fine to a point BUT....

Pelicn...the pendulum always swings both ways....Ifa, coulda, woulda....

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Vinnie...You nailed it!!! Exactly

When they speak of a computer making a determination..I think of Terminator! Good ole fashion common sense can't be replaced by a computer. There's too many tangibles for a computer to make a fair assessment of some situations in this business. The computer is fine to a point BUT....

Pelicn...the pendulum always swings both ways....Ifa, coulda, woulda....

All the computer does is tells the dispatcher first out and how far the ava equipment is form the pick up. From there the dispatcher decides which contractor to offer the load to based on many factors, some have been already mentioned.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Cool Factor" is another one of the biggies when trucks are dispatched. I am a charter member of the "National Cool Factor Association" We are the group that decides what is cool and what is not. That is how I know what "Cool" is. For to get better dispatches you have to become cool. It takes a lot of work but most can achieve cool. Good luck in your pursuit of cool. Layoutshooter

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
"Cool Factor" is another one of the biggies when trucks are dispatched. I am a charter member of the "National Cool Factor Association" We are the group that decides what is cool and what is not. That is how I know what "Cool" is. For to get better dispatches you have to become cool. It takes a lot of work but most can achieve cool. Good luck in your pursuit of cool. Layoutshooter

I respectfully disagree, IMHO cool is not something one can acquire, you're either born with it or not!!:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is what most people think. While I was born VERY cool I became cooler with age. I went to a cool school!!!! As I progressed I moved cool beyond what I found when I started cool. Cool is a state of mind. Un-cool people can become cool by chilling out. Layoutshooter

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
That is what most people think. While I was born VERY cool I became cooler with age. I went to a cool school!!!! As I progressed I moved cool beyond what I found when I started cool. Cool is a state of mind. Un-cool people can become cool by chilling out. Layoutshooter

Again, I disagree, mostly with the last line. Think of your most nerdy classmate in school. He may chill out enough to be considered the most laid-back person you know, but...............HE WILL NEVER, EVER BE COOL!!!:p:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For more on cool reference movies that star Steve McQueen, Yul Brenner, Lee Marvin etc. Cool is not Pee Wee Herman. Layoutshooter

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
For more on cool reference movies that star Steve McQueen, Yul Brenner, Lee Marvin etc. Cool is not Pee Wee Herman. Layoutshooter

Let us not forget to give a nod to the coolest of cool.......Cllint Eastwood! (he deserves more than to be amongst the etc. folks):D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The most nerdy guy in our school did not live long enough to even get close to cool. That is the problem with not being born cool. It makes it hard to thrive, but some have made it. True is is very few but there has been some. Those who are not cool must strive to acheive. There is cool in the effort to attain cool. It is the first step. And now, alas, it is time to leave for our pick-up. A reefer load, those are cool. LOL. Will Check into this tomorrow to see how the cool is progressing. Layoutshooter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That being said, those conditions could work to your advantage as well. You get the load because you have the lift gate, reefer, Canada qualified etc. to be

I agree but if I am numero uno then I should get the first offer. If a domestic load comes up, I should get the offer. It should be my decision to take that load or wait for a Canadian load to come down the pike. Same thing for team drivers.
If I were part of a team and it was 19:00 maybe I might want to run a mini and make a quick buck. But I can't if I get skipped over.

As for cool. I wear sunglasses 24/7, have a chain drive wallet, boots, Eldrige Cleaver leather pants and one skin tight Black Panther Glove.