Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar?? L1??

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

But isn't that the way it is in American corporations nowadays?

Isn't that the way American unions are nowadays? Isn't that the way our politics is as well? What's new? It's been that way for ever.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

Isn't that the way American unions are nowadays? Isn't that the way our politics is as well? What's new? It's been that way for ever.

Some union workers resist the unions efforts to work with a company.
Some unions realize by working with a company that it'll prolong their existence.
Unions are businesses struggling to stay in business too.
It's a fine line to juggle being tough enough to get things done without having the company just run to Mexico or a right to work state.
And some smaller unions put the company first.
Something I saw in car haul was letting a pro company union in so the Teamsters couldn't organize the workers.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

We're not talking about unions. We are talking about management style, be it a union shop or non-union shop, it is still us against them.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

"Everyone else is doing it" and "That's how we've always done it" are both incredibly lame reasons to keep being stupid, IMO.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

We're not talking about unions. We are talking about management style, be it a union shop or non-union shop, it is still us against them.

My point was that is how society is. management "styles" reflect how mankind is. It has ALWAYS been "us against them". Been that way every where I have worked, union or not, private industry or government, federal or state. I heard the exact same thing from my grandparents, my dad, my uncles, cousins, brothers. It is just how it is.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

After reading through this thread, all I see is different colors of "lipstick on the same pig".

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sometimes I think the us against them mentality comes more from the workers than management.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Sometimes I think the us against them mentality comes more from the workers than management.

It flows like the force.

jamom123

Expert Expediter

I became an O/O thinking i was getting away from the me against the company ordeal. But i guess even when you own your own business you still can't escape it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Expediting in a nutshell is similar to a franchise.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Expediting in a nutshell is similar to a franchise.

With too low of a buy-in.
I researched a franchise once. $400,000 net worth required to apply.
Not a big expensive franchise.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

But one can go cheap like a gym or a Subway.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

That may well be true, at least in part because those who have power don't generally give it a second thought, any more than you think about being able to walk & talk. Those who are affected by the exercise of that power often resent it, whether it's used judiciously or not. That's human nature.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

I have always viewed this as we have 2 customers. The shipper and the owner operator. If you take care of both of them and treat them fairly, a well managed company does not have to be us vs either of them. With the efforts to sell to shippers and recruit owner operators, making decisions that alienate either one seems counter productive to those efforts. But the ultimate success is when all 3 work together and view the business through a long term perspective.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

There in lies the problem. The carrier can have a customer who will be profitable to them but the O/O will lose money on that customers freight.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I have always viewed this as we have 2 customers. The shipper and the owner operator. If you take care of both of them and treat them fairly, a well managed company does not have to be us vs either of them. With the efforts to sell to shippers and recruit owner operators, making decisions that alienate either one seems counter productive to those efforts. But the ultimate success is when all 3 work together and view the business through a long term perspective.

That is the problem with many carriers. They are basically operating as three different companies with very different goals. You have people selling freight for commission with no regards to how it is ran or where it goes to, dispatch try to force productivity whether profitable or not, and of course recruiting who try to maintain fleet levels with the other two creating that "100 percent turnover rate". Think a I have mentioned this a time or two yet it still goes on.
I would never blame workers or the management itself. For those three to be on the same page, it has to come from the top. When it does it is a success, and when it doesn't, I will show you a company that is in constant turmoil.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Very well said.
" Us against Them" rarely works out for "Us",regardless of which one you are. It's lose/ lose.