Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar?? L1??

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

We're staying at FDCC but were also not disgruntled. A little sad but not disgruntled. It looks like every carrier but landstar is looking into this and it will probably be the model into the coming years.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

It'd be silly to leave now, if leaving ONLY because of the rate change.
You know the system, the customers.

Why not run the program a few months and analyze your own personal results ?

It cost money to change companies. For some odd reason some may prosper under the new plan.
And you don't know if there may be tweaks along the way.

Why panic now ?
Those other opportunities will be there in Aug and Sept.
It isn't like getting there first gives you any seniority at the new carrier.

jamom123

Expert Expediter

It'd be silly to leave now, if leaving ONLY because of the rate change.
You know the system, the customers.

Why not run the program a few months and analyze your own personal results ?

It cost money to change companies. For some odd reason some may prosper under the new plan.
And you don't know if there may be tweaks along the way.

Why panic now ?
Those other opportunities will be there in Aug and Sept.
It isn't like getting there first gives you any seniority at the new carrier.

Well spoken Zorry.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

jamom123

Expert Expediter

We're staying at FDCC but were also not disgruntled. A little sad but not disgruntled. It looks like every carrier but landstar is looking into this and it will probably be the model into the coming years.

I don't think this will be the norm. This is expediting not dedicated, if i wanted a flat rate i could run for a dedicated company. I would have a schedule, know where i'm going, when i'm going and how many miles i'm driving. The entire point of expedited freight is not knowing, being on call at all times and not knowing where you're going, when you're going and how many miles your running. In my opinion flat rate isn't the way to go if it was every company would already be on flat rate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't think this will be the norm. This is expediting not dedicated, if i wanted a flat rate i could run for a dedicated company. I would have a schedule, know where i'm going, when i'm going and how many miles i'm driving. The entire point of expedited freight is not knowing, being on call at all times and not knowing where you're going, when you're going and how many miles your running. In my opinion flat rate isn't the way to go if it was every company would already be on flat rate.

Don't look now....but MOST of the bigger carriers Panther/E-1/Fedex....ARE on a flat rate!.......

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Might want to let us correct you, every carrier but Landstar and Load One !!!!!!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Might want to let us correct you, every carrier but Landstar and Load One !!!!!!!

I hope you're right. As are most of your co-workers.
Are you saying John wouldn't make adjustments that would keep you working ? Or to improve his business ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I hope you're right. As are most of your co-workers.
Are you saying John wouldn't make adjustments that would keep you working ? Or to improve his business ?

The issue what is whats happening NOW.... Iam sure John/Load1 will do whatever he feels right for his business. Just as WE/ O/O 's will do the same.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

You can bet recruiters for company's not on flat rate are using the change to their advantage.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

A real owner operator: definition- when others tell you when, and where to go and one does not have any say so on the rate to be paid? Rates may spiral down so low someday, it won't pay to be an o/o, just company vans with a driver,,,oh- trucking companies already do that,,still paying 30cpm there.............................big money.

Note: reefer loads paying $4.16 a mile for real o/o, just good old frozen foods..icecream down to 3.16 a mile last week....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Some will leave right away, some will "wait and see how it goes". The one's that leave right away know their numbers and know it will not work. Some of those that will wait, will find it hard to do the same loads they use to do at a lower rate, is a hard pill to take. The others will fall for the .." we did this to keep your wheels turning.." (smiles for miles). They will work harder not smarter.

Dam(n) the mule... Load the Wagon ...

zorry

Veteran Expediter

I'm hoping L-1 stays as is..

Just don't say "it can't happen here" enough to convince yourself.
Because it can.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Because it can.

Yep, it happened to me 6 times. So, I guess I can ride it out for the first 5 cuts at least. lol

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Because it can.

I agree, every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market. Each company will decide what they feel is best for them.

With that being said.....We have NO intention or are even considering a change away from percentage based pay at this time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I agree, every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market. Each company will decide what they feel is best for them.

With that being said.....We have NO intention or are even considering a change away from percentage based pay at this time.

Read thru the corporate lingo....KEY words like in bold....But there might come a time as in "every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market ".....John should run for governor of Mi.......LOL

PS...I like what John said...but I've heard the same before....
E-1 said this many times..... "every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market".....as they lowered our rates to pay share holders...

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Well the world does change. Who would have thought DEF, In-Cab technology and so much more would exist just a decade ago? Heck we were not even an expedite carrier a decade ago. The last thing I ever saw coming was cargo vans! LOL. So change is inevitable in any business. Most companies that do not evolve, end up out of business. That evolution does not have to be a bad thing. I would like to think that is has been a positive in the majority of ways for us.

Not a real secret, but we have long prided ourselves by not being a follow the herd company. As well I think we have a major advantage over the majority of our large competitors in the fact that we are privately owned. I get to make decisions for the long term vs the next one or two quarterly reports to the board and shareholders. Now I am sure they would fairly argue the virtues of being public and venture capital owned companies from their side. But I think this works better for us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well the world does change. Who would have thought DEF, In-Cab technology and so much more would exist just a decade ago? Heck we were not even an expedite carrier a decade ago. The last thing I ever saw coming was cargo vans! LOL. So change is inevitable in any business. Most companies that do not evolve, end up out of business. That evolution does not have to be a bad thing. I would like to think that is has been a positive in the majority of ways for us.

Not a real secret, but we have long prided ourselves by not being a follow the herd company. As well I think we have a major advantage over the majority of our large competitors in the fact that we are privately owned. I get to make decisions for the long term vs the next one or two quarterly reports to the board and shareholders. Now I am sure they would fairly argue the virtues of being public and venture capital owned companies from their side. But I think this works better for us.

Very well put Boss.....it is very nice to make this big money.....but a little less idle time and I could give up collecting aluminum cans and loose change from Walmart parking lots......LOL..Poke poke....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Very well put Boss.....it is very nice to make this big money.....but a little less idle time and I could give up collecting aluminum cans and loose change from Walmart parking lots......LOL..Poke poke....

Welcome to your first month in expediting! Oh wait you are not a newbie...... :cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Welcome to your first month in expediting! Oh wait you are not a newbie...... :cool:

I could really starve in Michigan, they have deposit on cans....pickins are slim.....LOL