Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar?? L1??

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

you in that La La land again?.....when was the last time any expedite carrier ever recanted a policy change back to what was?......From this view any cut done up till now has not had a good side...neither the Feds. or E-1 nor Panther...always, always in carrier favor....

A few months back load acceptance was part of our dispatch criteria.
It was discussed in detail.
It was recently dropped.

I'm not a FedEx historian, but I've heard it's " been done before" often.
Soo, old timers, has % been done away with before ? If so, what happened to bring it back ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

Has anyone compared FedEx's flat rate plan to the other flat rate plans ?
How's it compare ?

There are so many other items that factor in, other than numbers, but it'd still be interesting to see the numbers.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Has anyone compared FedEx's flat rate plan to the other flat rate plans ?
How's it compare ?

There are so many other items that factor in, other than numbers, but it'd still be interesting to see the numbers.

Better than E-1. Comparable to Panther.

Gotta remember, "It's all about the miles".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

FedEx has changed policy and then switched it back.
Just recently they added load acceptance percentage into the dispatch system and then when it did not have the desired affect removed it.

In other words the benefit they thought would happen, did not....so they went back ?....carriers don't do anything to benefit the O/O....Like Vegas....House has the odds.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

A few months back load acceptance was part of our dispatch criteria.
It was discussed in detail.
It was recently dropped.

I'm not a FedEx historian, but I've heard it's " been done before" often.
Soo, old timers, has % been done away with before ? If so, what happened to bring it back ?

you guys have has so many "Twinks" of the pay the last 5-7 Yrs....DH pay, express centers, flat rate, FSC, load distribution....I think the most hated was the put it out to 3-5 of the top trucks and lowest bidder wins it.....or first guy to call dispatch with "add $50 bucks to it and I'll do it"...

From the Fedex site...

[h=2]FedEx Custom Critical[/h]

History
Founded in 1947 as Roberts Cartage; became an expedited carrier, Roberts Express, in 1980; was rebranded FedEx Custom Critical in 2000.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter

The 3-5 guys at a time wasn't a lowest bidder thing.
If you offer it at noon, 12:10, 12:20,12:30 , etc how inefficient is that ?
Remember, somedays we have tons of freight
A team with lots to offer ( also known as a well credentialed team) will somedays get offers faster than you can analyze them. Sometimes I just take a load for tomorrow so I can get some sleep.

Sometime ago a fellow was determined only to take a load to one area. He turned down 70 loads in a row.
Fired ? Nope, today a fleet owner. :)

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter

Wasn't looking for the official history of FedEx. (Thanks, I will read it).

I was looking for a walk thru of the many changes the O/O pay system. How'd it change, then change again, and why ?

jamom123

Expert Expediter

Gotta remember, "It's all about the miles".

That's one of my biggest issues with flat rate. Fedex told me to look at it like I would be able to do more loads and get more miles. I said " ok so more miles, more wear and tear on the truck, and less money, yea that makes sense".

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

The 3-5 guys at a time wasn't a lowest bidder thing.
If you offer it at noon, 12:10, 12:20,12:30 , etc how inefficient is that ?
Remember, somedays we have tons of freight
A team with lots to offer ( also known as a well credentialed team) will somedays get offers faster than you can analyze them. Sometimes I just take a load for tomorrow so I can get some sleep.

You weren't a member when that change came out I think...there was MUCH heated discussion about it....as you can imagine....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's one of my biggest issues with flat rate. Fedex told me to look at it like I would be able to do more loads and get more miles. I said " ok so more miles, more wear and tear on the truck, and less money, yea that makes sense".

E-1 did the exact same thing....WE have 40% more miles for you to run....oh yippee....:rolleyes: so my expenses go up and the money is the same....gee whiz

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter

So maybe if I keep turning down loads I could be fleet owner someday jk

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

jamom123

Expert Expediter

E-1 did the exact same thing....WE have 40% more miles for you to run....oh yippee....:rolleyes: so my expenses go up and the money is the same....gee whiz

Sounds to me like trying to tell a dog it's a cat, repeat it long enough and it might start believing you. (Not really).

zorry

Veteran Expediter

I've had breakfast with a guy that sat in dispatch for four hours.
I got the impression that it's like the NY Stock Exchange.
It doesn't bother me at all.
It's also good to try to stay educated as to how well credentialed your neighbors are.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sounds to me like trying to tell a dog it's a cat, repeat it long enough and it might start believing you. (Not really).

some bought it....maybe for some personal reasons they stayed....The idea is to get ahead...not to just break even...

jamom123

Expert Expediter

some bought it....maybe for some personal reasons they stayed....The idea is to get ahead...not to just break even...

My point exactly, I do this to make a decent living. If I just wanted to survive I could get a job close to home, be home everyday, not have a truck to pay for and upkeep, not have the hassles of being a business owner, and most importantly be home with my family.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

you in that La La land again?.....when was the last time any expedite carrier ever recanted a policy change back to what was?......From this view any cut done up till now has not had a good side...neither the Feds. or E-1 nor Panther...always, always in carrier favor....

You'll note that I said nothing about making changes that are not in the carrier's favor [that would be in lala land], just about undoing changes - which they have done. Because they turned out to have effects even less in the carrier's favor, like a couple large fleets deciding to leave....
The whole 'us against them' style of management just boggles my mind, really. It's a lose/lose thing, IMO.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The whole 'us against them' style of management just boggles my mind, really. .
But isn't that the way it is in American corporations nowadays?