Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar?? L1??

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

We ran with FCC for years and then became dissatisfied with that carrier when changes to their dispatch system degraded the opportunity. We switched to Landstar. After we did, our income increased and satisfaction with our motor carrier increased by an order of magnitude.

It was not easy to leave that trusted name and prestigious brand behind, but when we did, we found that the emotional attachment once dearly held for the brand meant nothing at all. Emotions do not change your business numbers. The opportunity to run good loads at good rates does.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Disgruntled FEDEX CC st8 truck drivers.....Where are they gonna go?? Landstar??

Read thru the corporate lingo....KEY words like in bold....But there might come a time as in "every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market ".....John should run for governor of Mi.......LOL

PS...I like what John said...but I've heard the same before....
E-1 said this many times..... "every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market".....as they lowered our rates to pay share holders...

Sounds just like when you proclaim that you always keep your options open of going elsewhere. Guess someone needs to quote and bold that next time. :rolleyes:

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

I agree, every company needs to constantly change and evolve to remain healthy and competitive in the market. Each company will decide what they feel is best for them.

With that being said.....We have NO intention or are even considering a change away from percentage based pay at this time.

He's got this !!!!!!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

Well the world does change. Who would have thought DEF, In-Cab technology and so much more would exist just a decade ago? Heck we were not even an expedite carrier a decade ago. The last thing I ever saw coming was cargo vans! LOL. So change is inevitable in any business. Most companies that do not evolve, end up out of business. That evolution does not have to be a bad thing. I would like to think that is has been a positive in the majority of ways for us.

Not a real secret, but we have long prided ourselves by not being a follow the herd company. As well I think we have a major advantage over the majority of our large competitors in the fact that we are privately owned. I get to make decisions for the long term vs the next one or two quarterly reports to the board and shareholders. Now I am sure they would fairly argue the virtues of being public and venture capital owned companies from their side. But I think this works better for us.

This is why he's got this !!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sounds just like when you proclaim that you always keep your options open of going elsewhere. Guess someone needs to quote and bold that next time. :rolleyes:

you could.......and I'd bold anyone's statement.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Now let's return to our regular scheduled FedEx thread.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Now let's return to our regular scheduled FedEx thread.

Agreed!......

I imagine most should already have a majic number they need to be profitable....and after running the numbers they will do whatever they need to do to thrive.....

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Agreed!......

I imagine most should already have a majic number they need to be profitable....and after running the numbers they will do whatever they need to do to survive.....

Anyone who has not should not even be in this business. Surviving is not enough, I am here to profit, not just survive. Go below THAT level and ANY carrier would be toast.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Anyone who has not should not even be in this business. Surviving is not enough, I am here to profit, not just survive. Go below THAT level and ANY carrier would be toast.

changed survive to thrive.....aka: profit...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Things have changed over the last ten years and will continue to change. Some of it is good, some not so good. When we started Roberts was a private company as well as Panther. Much different when looking at them today. I will say they were much better as private companies.
We have changed right along with the madness and have remained profitable even in a turbulent economy where many businesses basically fell apart or are skeletons of what they once were.
Who would have guessed ten years ago I would be working with Load One? Just proof that anyone can get caught up in a weak moment. :cool:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

You're so funny sometimes !!!!!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Who would have guessed ten years ago I would be working with Load One? Just proof that anyone can get caught up in a weak moment. :cool:

I am going to look at that as an upside statement! LOL :cool:

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator

We started this business as a team working with an owner signed on with Express 1. After a year and a half we purchased our truck and stayed with E1 for one more year when we told our rate was being dropped to 1.12+fsc from 1.20+. This was their first rate drop. We determined, at that time, that we could not run the same freight that we had been running for less money. Fuel was higher as were all of our costs.
We signed on with FCC as a D surface unit and were happy with the rates and the amount of runs. After a year the Fed announced they were giving the option of going flat rate. We soon noticed a sharp drop in our longer runs. About all we were getting were the 600 to 1000 mile runs. We felt at that time they would be going all flat rate sometime soon, as most of their "perceived" compition was.
We had been looking at Landstar with their unique dispatch system for awhile so we switched to Landstar about a year ago. We really like the percentage rate and do not ever want to run flat rate.
By doing our research we knew it would most likely take a year to get to know this system and it did. Although we still are learning we are very happy here and love hitting those jackpot loads while maintaining the rates we need to be profitable with.
You need to know your costs and I do mean all of them. With that information you will know what rate you will need to get for all miles your truck runs. If you are not getting that rate you need to start looking. Your situation will not improve where you're at.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I am going to look at that as an upside statement! LOL :cool:

Absolutely. I go through a careful process before making any kind of change like that.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Both carriers mentioned are great companies. Are either of those two carriers excepting trucks into there fleets? Will they be able to quickly absorb them and keep them moving? It is not just a learning curve for the owner operators but one for the carrier as well.