Beware in Dallas

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Instead of the Flying J, I was gonna park under a cool shade tree and take advantage of the cool grass Saturday morning after I made my delivery. I looked and looked, and finally found a tree. It was way out yonder over thar. But, hey, if the Col says do the shade tree, there must be sumtin' to it, so off I went.

Well, the grass was real cool, so he was right about that. The tree didn't have any leaves, though, so the shade was a little thin, but I stuck it out. A few hours later the land owner, a farmer, drove up on his snowmobile and wanted to know what I was doing in the middle of his field. Told him I was taking advantage of his cool grass and his beautiful shade tree. He just looked at me.

I went back over to the Flying J there in Fargo.

Reactions: 1 person

roadkill

Expert Expediter
It's not just Dallas,Atlanta it can happen anywere to anyone........even were I live.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In late August, thieves hijacked a trailer at gunpoint from a Shell truckstop near the southwestern town of Chatham, Ont. The van was loaded with about $2 million worth of Hewlett-Packard computer gear. It was midday.

The perps bound and gagged the driver -- a resident of Indiana -- tossed him into his sleeper and then when he awoke 14 hours later, he was 100 klicks up the highway and his 53-ft trailer and contents were gone.
Still earlier in the summer, and in the same area, police found a driver similarly bound and gagged in a carpool lot at Highway 401 and Highway 6, near the city of Guelph.

His rig -- loaded with metal products -- was hijacked when he stopped at a traffic light in Toronto and some thieves leapt into his cab. And in what had to be one of the worst robberies of the year, a trucker named Donald Woods was found shot to death in his tractor in a Pickering, Ont. Wal-Mart parking lot. His trailer was empty.

The Athens, Ont. driver had been taking a load of meat from Brockville to Toronto, leaving a Brockville A&P on the evening of June 21. Neither he nor the load made it to the destination. (Woods left behind a wife and 13-year-old son.)

Becareful out there folks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Apparently the few keys isn't limited to a single make. A friend has a same brand different model and different year truck and his key with a little fiddling opened one of my trucks.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
A Remington 870 Marine Magnum Pump Action 12 gauge with an 18" barrel makes a highly visable deterrent...even in subdued lighting.

A highly durable 12-gauge utility gun that resists corrosion on land or water. Electroless nickel plating covers all metal, including the inside of the barrel and receiver. Translation: It's shiny!

When the light strikes the finish on the barrel it becomes immediately obvious to any criminal that you are not holding a tire iron and that you do not intend to be robbed. :D

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
3 years ago i got hit at the pilot in dallas they got my computer. I tend to stay at truckstops that have idleair not that i use itbut because they are roving all over the lot it tends to keep the theives and lizzards out

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Apparently the few keys isn't limited to a single make. A friend has a same brand different model and different year truck and his key with a little fiddling opened one of my trucks.

Leo, there are a finite number of key cut combinations and I had a couple GM cars in the past that turned out the have the same key cut and they were produced at different factories on different dates. The newer keys with the chips embedded in them prevent this from happeneing but we may not see in trucks in the near future.

As for getting tapped at a truck stop, many leave things out in the open or are careless. I lock everything up and make sure of my surroundings.

As for the nice people coming on my truck and pounding on my window for money or to provide unsolicited services, I won't mention what I have as a weapon but I will say I mentioned it before and it has passed inspection. Oh and it has been used.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
neither the J or T A in Dallas is very good place but i find if i,m stuck in Dallas would much rather be at the T A may not be much safer but at least i feel safer seen many unsavory charactures at both places honestly i think i would rather sit at the Petro in Atlanta then either one of them ok so i,m a little nuts

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
It's not just Dallas,Atlanta it can happen anywere to anyone........even were I live.

Yeah, but isn't there a stretch of 401 getting known for hijackings? Saw something on TV, W5 maybe, about this becoming quite a problem.

I suspect this may even cross brands...........say any FL product, PACCAR products, etc. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if some car keys fit - went to get keys for my M2 at the hardware store. No surprise they don't carry FL keys but having cut keys in the past I knew you can often find another with the same keyway and cut it down. Although FL uses a longer shank, at least two of the Chrysler blanks (Y157 and Y159 I think) are just long enough to work in both the door and ignition. I'll bet some Ford blanks will work in Volvo/Mack's too.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A Remington 870 Marine Magnum Pump Action 12 gauge with an 18" barrel makes a highly visable deterrent...even in subdued lighting.

A highly durable 12-gauge utility gun that resists corrosion on land or water. Electroless nickel plating covers all metal, including the inside of the barrel and receiver. Translation: It's shiny!

When the light strikes the finish on the barrel it becomes immediately obvious to any criminal that you are not holding a tire iron and that you do not intend to be robbed. :D

Maybe that answers Moot's question "What would Jesus carry?" but for a driver in a commercial vehicle, it's against the law, even with a smiley face.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
We always go to Terrell TA or to Denton there was a few shootings to in that area. I should remember to leave my pants on the front seat and see the reaction when our 90 lb German shepard sinks some teeth into them ha ha ha ha. Now that would be funny.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
If your staying in Atlanta, Ga you can go to the Motel 6 at the 1st exit off of 675 north. If you work for FedEx the rooms are $28.00 a night for a room with two beds. They also have truck parking too. Its alot cheaper than fuel.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Maybe that answers Moot's question "What would Jesus carry?" but for a driver in a commercial vehicle, it's against the law, even with a smiley face.

Apparently, it's not against the law to carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, as long as the gun and ammo are in different areas while driving. This came from the Texas DOT cop who's guest on the "ask the DOT" program on Sirius Roaddog 147. I'll check on it to make sure.

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't stay anywhere in East Dallas, Rockwall i'd consider...Anything East of Downtown is a no go in my opinion......There is a small gravel parking lot just east of Denton on 380. I think its in pilot point. Could be wrong. i know its not far from the paloma creek housing complex.....The safest place i'd feel would be Northeast Fort Worth near Texas Motor Speedway. But, only because i live in the area haha......

JP

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Apparently, it's not against the law to carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, as long as the gun and ammo are in different areas while driving. This came from the Texas DOT cop who's guest on the "ask the DOT" program on Sirius Roaddog 147. I'll check on it to make sure.

Try telling that to Canadien customs.DD.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Best thing to do is get a run and not sit there. There is no need to carry a weapon in Canada. They have VERY strict gun control laws that keep the guns out of criminals hands.
YEA RIGHT!!! Just like it will here. Layoutshooter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If I could legally carry a licensed firearm in the truck, I would. It's pretty ironic, really: I drive alone, into some of the worst places in the country, in the wee hours of the morning, (or stay overnight, in the truck), and I am not allowed to have a weapon on board. Can't quite figure out who exactly is being protected, but it's sure not me.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the fact that firearms are not legal would in a twisted way be of benefit to us. If the burglars know we're not armed then they're not going to be expecting that wasp spray in the face or my tire thumper over their head, both legal. Hey we gotta do what we gotta do!:eek:

And Cheri, not to get in your business but if I ran solo like you, I'd have to have a VERY LARGE DOG in my passenger seat!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Much as I love dogs, this KW isn't big enough for two, sigh. Besides, wasp spray doesn't shed, slobber, or eat more than I do:D