2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I would go Ford with gas engine. No trust in Fiat reliability and in the Ford diesel engine...How they look? Who cares , just a work tool.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What exactly is that the trip computer of? Also, how does that compare to the actual numbers obtained with paper and pencil?

It's a picture of the dash trip indicator. Average mpg is 17.8
That's an average over 13,700 plus miles. That's loaded, empty, up hill, down hill, highway, city. That's what I get with my promaster 3500 high roof ext with a bunk conversion in the front. That's as real a miles mpg as you can get.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Garmin often shows in the neighborhood of 40-45MPH after 10,000 total miles, because it includes idling at traffic lights, waiting to get loaded and unloaded, and lots of other non - moving time that figures into the average. The more you idle without moving the lower that number will be.

Since my last reset I've traveled 10,473 miles with a moving average of 54 MPH and an overall average of 37 MPH. It also shows stopped time, moving time, and total time in hours and minutes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Scrapped" at final assembly doesn't mean crushed, compacted and sold for scrap. Some will be used for crash and road testing, some for mechanic and diagnostics training, some will be cannibalized and the parts repurposed, and others will have outdated parts replaced and run back through quality control.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shows how accurate onboard computer is. lol

It's very accurate when someone says they get over 20 mpg it's most likely one tank of gas and real good conditions. I can get 21-22 with a 6 mile an hour tailwind but when you turn around into the wind I get 15-16. Real cost of fuel is simple. It's figured over time and in every condition. A friend of mine drives for a big company. They get a fuel bonus monthly or yearly I can't remember for sure. I do know it's not based on daily economy it's figured over at least 10,000 miles. If I wrote down the per gallon cost of the gas each time I would know exactly how much it cost me to run that van those miles.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing I can agree on, after 32k miles on my promaster, they are fuel efficient I can give them that..

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1406120697.109747.jpg
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1406120710.314417.jpg

Could hit 600 miles on one tank of gas, while carrying 1200 lb pallet in the back.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a picture of the dash trip indicator. Average mpg is 17.8
That's an average over 13,700 plus miles. That's loaded, empty, up hill, down hill, highway, city. That's what I get with my promaster 3500 high roof ext with a bunk conversion in the front. That's as real a miles mpg as you can get.

If you take all the fuel receipts from those 13,700 plus miles and do the arithmetic with paper and pencil does it still come out as 17.8 mpg? I just wonder how accurate those trip computers are.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you take all the fuel receipts from those 13,700 plus miles and do the arithmetic with paper and pencil does it still come out as 17.8 mpg? I just wonder how accurate those trip computers are.

It depends I guess if a pen and paper are more accurate than a computer.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or if they are more accurate than the measuring devices feeding (perhaps absolutely accurate and perhaps only 95-97% accurate) measurements to the computer. I'd presume, and hope, it's a 99.999997% certainty the computer is properly programmed for arithmetic operations. It's the input data I wonder about.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It's very accurate when someone says they get over 20 mpg it's most likely one tank of gas and real good conditions. I can get 21-22 with a 6 mile an hour tailwind but when you turn around into the wind I get 15-16. Real cost of fuel is simple. It's figured over time and in every condition. A friend of mine drives for a big company. They get a fuel bonus monthly or yearly I can't remember for sure. I do know it's not based on daily economy it's figured over at least 10,000 miles. If I wrote down the per gallon cost of the gas each time I would know exactly how much it cost me to run that van those miles.
My 3500 159" extended has done 21.16 mpg the last 16,000 miles, some of which was carrying 3,600 to 4,100 lb. loads, figuring all miles divided by actual gallons... no computer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With most fuel injection systems, the computer is controlling the fuel pump and injectors, so it knows with very high accuracy how much fuel is being used.

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've seen huge differences between actual and computer calculated mpg in other vehicles. My sprinter doesn't have this option.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 3500 159" extended has done 21.16 mpg the last 16,000 miles, some of which was carrying 3,600 to 4,100 lb. loads, figuring all miles divided by actual gallons... no computer.

My ? is why would abuse your van like that...I have the empty scale ticket from dealer test drive. and after a driver , fuel ,personal items , that leaves less than 3500 lbs available.. Not counting AC and generator.... I m confused why people want to overload their van for a few cents per mile more.....J M O

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app