2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just to refresh some memories... The DOT only regulates commercial motor vehicles. Vehicles less than 10,001 pounds are not regulated by the DOT and are thus not subject to being randomly pulled over for anything, including for portable scales. There are a handful of states (3 or 4?) which have laws making it illegal to exceed the rated weight of an axle, but as far as I know there are no laws where an unregulated vehicle can be randomly weighed and receive an overweight ticket.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
just to refresh some memories... The dot only regulates commercial motor vehicles. Vehicles less than 10,001 pounds are not regulated by the dot and are thus not subject to being randomly pulled over for anything, including for portable scales. There are a handful of states (3 or 4?) which have laws making it illegal to exceed the rated weight of an axle, but as far as i know there are no laws where an unregulated vehicle can be randomly weighed and receive an overweight ticket.
there it is! Word!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just to refresh a little more, any van hauling hazmat is a commercial vehicle until unloaded and must have logs for the prior 7 days and must go through scales etc. like any big truck, unless of course that has changed since I quit.

I'm not sure if the weight debate was settled but a van can only legally carry the difference between the gvw on the door plate and the empty weight of the van prior to loading. the 10,000/10,001 pound rule has nothing to do with legally allowable cargo capacity.

If a Sprinter/Transit/NV etc. is involved in an accident while under load it is very possible it will be weighed. If the door plate says 8550 pounds like a Sprinter and it's 8857 pounds it could result in serious negative consequences. Wise operators have a scale ticket with full fuel and all supplies and fat driver in the van, do the guzzintas from the gvw, subtract about 5 pounds and report that as their maximum load capacity to their carrier.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Just to refresh a little more, any van hauling hazmat is a commercial vehicle until unloaded and must have logs for the prior 7 days and must go through scales etc. like any big truck, unless of course that has changed since I quit.
If placards are required that is still true.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure if the weight debate was settled but a van can only legally carry the difference between the gvw on the door plate and the empty weight of the van prior to loading. the 10,000/10,001 pound rule has nothing to do with legally allowable cargo capacity.
Legally allowable. Legally. That's a term which strongly implies there is a law, somewhere, which states this. Tell us more about this... law. Where can it be found? What does it say? And maybe just as importantly, who, pray tell, enforces this law?

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes every sprinter that carries over there maximum gvw can get a ticket.

And so can you.

We don't have to go to the scales but we can still get pulled over for random weight check with portable scales.

Unless the back bumper of the van is dragging the ground they usually don't bother with you though.

If you don't know the actual curb weight of your vehicle you don't know the actual cargo capacity of your vehicle.

Who knows maybe you can carry 5000 pounds legally?

This is basic 101 How do you not know this?

My sincere apologies to all.

Just goes to show that what you KNOW is often wrong!

I was always told that exceeding the weight rating would get you a ticket.

After doing some searching on the web I can find nothing to back that up.

I now believe I was WRONG!

Again my sincere apologies.

I still believe that everyone should weigh their vehicle to know what the real curb weight is.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My sincere apologies to all.

Just goes to show that what you KNOW is often wrong!

After doing some searching on the web I can find nothing to back that up.

I now believe I was WRONG!

Again my sincere apologies.

I still believe that everyone should weigh their vehicle to know what the real curb weight is.

Yes it always good to know how much one is over by....LOL

On the other hand an officer could deem you to be an unsafe vehicle and park ya....depending on state laws

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have to follow UncleBob's example and offer my apologies also.

I know I read before stuff about this issue but it came from our neighbors to the north. I believe it is British Columbia where you can be pulled over, weighed if the officer notices that your vehicle tires are low, or your tail end is dragging, etc and ticketed if found to be over the manufacturer's gvwr. I can find nothing similar for here, so for this I apologize.

However, I still maintain that it is unwise to overload your vehicle above your gvwr. The manufacturer designs the brakes, suspension, etc to be safe for that particular weight. Go above it, and eventually something will give out. I wouldn't want to be in that vehicle when that happens.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, in a commercial motor vehicle, you would. That's just one of many FMCSA trucking regulations that people mistakenly try to apply to non-CMVs, either because of reasoning, common sense, or most likely, the ever-ubiquitous "common knowledge."

Absolutely. And they should very rarely exceed it. And when they do they should know by exactly how much they are exceeding it. The closer you are to maxing out, or exceeding your GVWR, the more stress and wear & tear you put on the vehicle. Transmission, suspension, wheel bearings, cooling system, not to mention fuel mileage, they are all affected. Like FlyingVan said, why would you want to abuse your van like that?

The goal shouldn't be to see how heavy you can load, it should be to see how often you can avoid loading heavy at all. My last eight loads: 18,1200, 325, 800, 72, 500, 3, 103. All those loads paid the same as 3000 pound loads.

Now that's what I'm takin' about!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I apologize for getting ticked off so quickly... I really should count to at least ten before I post... :)

Some on here if possible should count to 100....lol

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sure is a sweet looking van. Just waiting at least another year to see how the 4 cylinder engine is holding up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

We have one on our fleet is getting the 24 mile-per gallons he already has over 60,000 miles and no dashboard lights the DPF system is working perfectly now