2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey y'all, I'm in a predicament here...I was set on ordering a 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 with the 3.2 Diesel Engine and the 6 Speed Automated Manual Trans. High-Roof Extended... But before such a huge leap into the newer market I found myself com pairing these 2! With very similar options selected maybe slightly more options on the Promaster, both trucks the tallest and longest in each model, The ProMaster is coming out approx. 4 grand cheaper! I'll list options and pricing in a bit. So now it comes down to which one??? P.S. They both have a 6 speed trans...848 lbs. Load Capacity Difference...

2014 Dodge Ram Promaster 3500 High Roof Extended
Most Powerful Available Engine: 3.0L turbo-diesel I-4, 174 hp, 295 lb-ft torque
Rear End: 3.86
Maximum Cargo Volume: 530 cubic feet
Maximum Cargo Length: 160 inches
Maximum Cargo Height: 76 inches
Width Between Wheel Wells: 55.9 inches
GVW: 9350 with a 3908 Load Capacity

Or

2015 Ford Transit 350 High Roof Extended
Most Powerful Available Engine: 3.2L turbo-diesel I-5, 197 hp, 397 lb-ft torque
Rear End: Option a 3.31 or a 3.31 Limited Slip or a 3.73 or a 3.73 Limited Slip
Maximum Cargo Volume: 496 cubic feet
Maximum Cargo Length: 171.5 inches
Maximum Cargo Height: 81.4 inches
Width Between Wheel Wells: 54.8 inches
GVW: 9500 with a 3060 Load Capacity

DECISIONS DECISIONS!!! Lol any input or help is thanked in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Ford has approx. 13% more hp and 33% more tq. I don't know what the gear ratios are in the transmissions but the 3.31 of the Ford in theory is going to help it get better mpg. I'd question the 3060 load capacity on the Ford. It's difficult to believe the Ford weighs 1000 pounds more empty. The Ford has approx 1 foot longer cargo capacity and 5 inches more cargo height capacity. Those could capture some loads the Fiat couldn't take.

The Ford in theory will have more service locations available. The Ford is less ugly although that is strictly an opinion point. Presuming either one will give at minimum 2/3 million miles of service the price difference is less an issue than operating cost and load capacities.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cargo capacity weight wise kicks fords behind. That could net some nice paying loads.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The cargo capacity weight wise kicks fords behind. That could net some nice paying loads.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123
The RAM can carry significantly more weight, is substantially less money, and gets better fuel economy (according even to Ford reports).

I often make straight truck rate with my Promaster JUST because it can carry so much more weight!

The Ford is prettiest outside but both look the same from the driver's seat!

I'd buy the RAM!

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to add that instead of looking at cargo capacity you should be looking at door height and rear overhang.

The door height of the Promaster is 69 inches and the Ford is something like 74 inches, plus, the rear overhang of the ford is way to much at five and a half feet.

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone know any companies that are hiring right now for company drivers in a cargo van or sprinter? I'm looking to change companies

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
cubic space is usually wall to wall...very few of us give wall to wall because of our "stuff"
I give customers 49 x 70 x 144.....the rest of the cubic space is MINE....

at 69 inches they can not double stack the regular 45x48x 35 auto bin....since the sit inside each other by about 1/2 inch they measure 69 1/2 they barely squeeze into mt 70' opening...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The Promaster does not have 530 cu ft of cargo space
I order my new Promasters with the air ride seat and without the passenger seat, which is VERY handy for refrigerator/micro kitchens.

I do not know if Ford has either an air ride seat or passenger seat delete option but I would think you would want to check that.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
West I just wish I knew someone with a diesel one of both ya know...Both have pros just wonder which is best...

At this point, specs and price are all you really have to go with. As new as these things are, which is really better won't be known for a while. And even then, it'll be a debate of opinions. All we can really say for sure is that the Promaster is just butt ugly. Seriously... They had to be making an effort to really get it as ugly as possible.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a promaster already had the transmission out for a broken flex plate. (19,000 miles). Spare tire has been in the back because the spare wouldn't come down. No part available yet. I just looked at a new Ford and there's so much more I like about it. The interior is laid out way better. I made a bunk in my promaster and the walls in it made it a little hard to line it. It has ill regular shaped structure inside. To make it easier I furred out the walls. The Ford is smooth real easy to finish. The cup holders are off the floor. The base price is about the same. I priced out the ford with the same options as the ram its a couple hundred less. The navigation in the ram is a basic $99.00 tomtom that I payed $1500 for. Fords system with Microsoft is way better. The ecoboost v6 will out do the ram v6 all day. I wish Ford had came out with it earlier I would have test drove one before I bought the ram. I'm thinking on putting someone in the ram and buy a Ford for myself. Most companies will never load you above 2500 lbs so the cargo weight is good on both. The ford is rear wheel drive the ram is front. The ram has very expensive struts on the front the ford has shocks. Ram so far has not been good for parts in stock. Fiat makes the ram Ford makes the Ford. Look at both drive both then look at what you really need in a van not what it could do. Then look at both again and drive both again then put the ram and ford salespeople head to head for the deal.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At this point, specs and price are all you really have to go with. As new as these things are, which is really better won't be known for a while. And even then, it'll be a debate of opinions. All we can really say for sure is that the Promaster is just butt ugly. Seriously... They had to be making an effort to really get it as ugly as possible.
That Nissan NV is still not the cutiest one out there....looks like you are driving the box it came in.....LOL

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
at 69 inches they can not double stack the regular 45x48x 35 auto bin....since the sit inside each other by about 1/2 inch they measure 69 1/2 they barely squeeze into mt 70' opening...
SMART TIP for Promaster Owners! - carry a rachet with the correct tip and you too can have 70" door opening just like OVM, IN JUST 1 MINUTE!

4 bolts remove the top door latches instantly if you ever get the Unicorn load that requires a 70" opening!

Do they have rachets in Canada?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Most companies will never load you above 2500 lbs so the cargo weight is good on both.
Probably 1/2 of my loads are over 2,500 lbs. and when they are, I make great rate. Anyone who wants to focus on the sub-2,500 lb. loads exclusively will be constantly be looking at $1.00 or less per mile... not what I'd like to try to keep a brand new van running with!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
SMART TIP for Promaster Owners! - carry a rachet with the correct tip and you too can have 70" door opening just like OVM, IN JUST 1 MINUTE!

4 bolts remove the top door latches instantly if you ever get the Unicorn load that requires a 70" opening!

of course silly....does the US have a "robertson" screwdriver??? instead of just the "phillips"?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

used to do the with my old Dodge Ram van....remove the latch....with the latch it was like 47 1/2...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably 1/2 of my loads are over 2,500 lbs. and when they are, I make great rate. Anyone who wants to focus on the sub-2,500 lb. loads exclusively will be constantly be looking at $1.00 or less per mile... not what I'd like to try to keep a brand new van running with!

I beg to differ with you on that one. My loads pay way more than $1.00 per mile with less than 2500 lbs. and I work for the same company as you. Work smarter not harder.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's difficult to believe the Ford weighs 1000 pounds more empty. The Ford has approx 1 foot longer cargo capacity and 5 inches more cargo height capacity.
Probably due to the rear wheel drive. Extra weight for the driveshaft, U-joints, hangers etc. combined with the weight of the sheet metal for the larger body size.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
If I were you, and needed a vehicle right away, I would go with the Ford over the Ram for more reasons than the ugly looks. But if you can, wait a year or 2 and you will be able to make a better decision. I know having the newest vehicle out there is cool, but resist the urge if at all possible.