2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I beg to differ with you on that one. My loads pay way more than $1.00 per mile with less than 2500 lbs. and I work for the same company as you. Work smarter not harder.
READ the quote I'm responding to....

The claim was "Most companies..."

READ first... post later.

It's very, very unlikely anyone that is not currently with the company we work with will bring either vehicle in... making my comments much more likely...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't imagine having a warranty problem this early, with any of these engines.....especially the one Ford engine made in South Africa....can you imagine the wait for say a water pump that might be made in Turkey?....LOL....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of people worry about more door height....Myself included ....But driving my tall cube van ( 76 ") door height for over 15 months and 160,000 miles while leased to Bolt ...I did only 4. loads that required more than 65 " of door height ...but a lot of 55 " Wide loads....So in my opinion a person needs to consider what company your leased with does for on majority of loads as far as size wise ....Myself ..I would Not haul more than 3000. lbs. in any cargo or sprinter type van because your just abusing the van for what...to keep a certain Dispatcher happy or a few more cents on your check....if you want more loads that few more lbs. or above 68 " door height isn't as important as Location, Location, Location... Just my opinion.. :D

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, you know what hasn't been factored in yet, is that Mike, Frank and Danielle all say you should go with the Ford. :rolleyes:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, you know what hasn't been factored in yet, is that Mike, Frank and Danielle all say you should go with the Ford. :rolleyes:

That's why I wouldn't buy a ford...even the NV looks better than Danielle... Lol

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you sign with a company that loads over 2500 and they pay you well for it good for you. I stand by that it's not the norm. Again you need to decide WHAT you need NOT what the van will do as I said. Buy a van that meets your needs not someone else's needs. Buy a van that you can get repaired when it's time.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call me crazy but, I like the look of the Promaster. I really liked the way it drives, too, Haven't tried a Transit, yet, so no idea of that comparison. The ginormous rear overhang on the Transit concerns me, for sure.

So, I'm rooting for the Promaster, but have my doubts. That Chrysler + Fiat combination likely means trouble.

BTW, it's easy to see why the Promaster is light, configuration aside. It's chintzy, step in the back of one and bend the lip where the wheel well is welded, with your fingers... It's like the wheel wells were made using those old Jiffy Pop popcorn aluminum foil tops. . I've also seen a few on dealer lots with broken side mirror brackets. I examined one and the glass fell out in my hand. Scary what's in there, think '70's transistor radio wires and plastic.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a promaster already had the transmission out for a broken flex plate. (19,000 miles). Spare tire has been in the back because the spare wouldn't come down. No part available yet. I just looked at a new Ford and there's so much more I like about it. The interior is laid out way better. I made a bunk in my promaster and the walls in it made it a little hard to line it. It has ill regular shaped structure inside. To make it easier I furred out the walls. The Ford is smooth real easy to finish. The cup holders are off the floor. The base price is about the same. I priced out the ford with the same options as the ram its a couple hundred less. The navigation in the ram is a basic $99.00 tomtom that I payed $1500 for. Fords system with Microsoft is way better. The ecoboost v6 will out do the ram v6 all day. I wish Ford had came out with it earlier I would have test drove one before I bought the ram. I'm thinking on putting someone in the ram and buy a Ford for myself. Most companies will never load you above 2500 lbs so the cargo weight is good on both. The ford is rear wheel drive the ram is front. The ram has very expensive struts on the front the ford has shocks. Ram so far has not been good for parts in stock. Fiat makes the ram Ford makes the Ford. Look at both drive both then look at what you really need in a van not what it could do. Then look at both again and drive both again then put the ram and ford salespeople head to head for the deal.

Hey, Westmicher, you said I made this story up

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Hey, Westmicher, you said I made this story up
No, what I said was I discount posts that include information from other people that cannot be verified. What you had done was quote somebody from an entirely different forum that I could not find the original post to verify what the person I actually said nor question them as to what really happened.

Someone else pointed out that every model has a random bad part here or there. Obviously this flexplate thing was one in a million and shouldn't influence anyone from buying one model or another :D

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone know when the full size Nissan NV is coming across the pond?

Sent from my LG-P999 using EO Forums mobile app

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ford has corrected me... The Diesel 3.2L High Roof Ext. SRW with 3.31 and 3.73 Rear End Capacity is 3560!!! 500 more pounds that's great and the 3.5L Gas Twin Turbo High Roof Ext. SRW with 3.31 and 3.73 Rear End Capacity is 3930!!! So Ford takes the Cake...Also like earlier thoughts that the 3.5 Eco needed High Grade Unleaded has been clarified it only needs Reg. Unleaded....So hmmmmmmm lol in my eyes now do I save $4130 and get a 3.5 that can haul 370 more pounds, or is it worth the extra $4130 and the 370lbs. less cargo capacity?! Ha decisions lol

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, what I said was I discount posts that include information from other people that cannot be verified. What you had done was quote somebody from an entirely different forum that I could not find the original post to verify what the person I actually said nor question them as to what really happened.

Someone else pointed out that every model has a random bad part here or there. Obviously this flexplate thing was one in a million and shouldn't influence anyone from buying one model or another :D

One in a million, eh ?

"I already have broken parts on order that Ram can't get so I figure right away I'm dead in the water. They had 20 of them in the main warehouse in Atlanta Ga. Great I'll be on the road in 24 hours. So I'm talking to the service manager and it turns out they have the flex plate for it because it's the SAME flex plate they use in the Town and Country mini van! Really! A mini van! They change the flex plates on the mini van on a fairly regular basis. "

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would spend the $4130 now and save $355 a month on fuel for the rest of the vehicle's life. Provided the number I have seen are correct.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Ford has corrected me... The Diesel 3.2L High Roof Ext. SRW with 3.31 and 3.73 Rear End Capacity is 3560!!! 500 more pounds that's great and the 3.5L Gas Twin Turbo High Roof Ext. SRW with 3.31 and 3.73 Rear End Capacity is 3930!!! So Ford takes the Cake...
My 3500 159" Extended High Top Promaster says 4,407 lbs. capacity... I would like chocolate cake with some vanilla ice cream please! :D

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
One in a million, eh ?

"I already have broken parts on order that Ram can't get so I figure right away I'm dead in the water. They had 20 of them in the main warehouse in Atlanta Ga. Great I'll be on the road in 24 hours. So I'm talking to the service manager and it turns out they have the flex plate for it because it's the SAME flex plate they use in the Town and Country mini van! Really! A mini van! They change the flex plates on the mini van on a fairly regular basis. "
Gosh! What those things failing all over the place and being identical, I would think they'd have a stack of them at every dealership??? I will be talking to my Chrysler RAM dealer about this and I will report back.

Sent from my SM-N900V