2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Your Sprinter doesn't even know how fast it's going. :D

You'd think that with the amount of computers this van has in it, it would have the computing power to calculate the speed with more accuracy. Let's see if I remember all of them. Engine, transmission, instrument cluster, abs, climate control, SKREEM, even the shifter has its own computer. I am sure I am missing a couple.

But, back to the mpg subject, I cant figure out why it is so difficult to calculate the mpg accurately. Like you pointed out, the ecm, based on different sensors and conditions, injects a pretty accurate amount of fuel. Even the scangauge can't do it. You have to play with the calibration on it for a few tankfulls to make it more accurate. I know I am missing something.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
My ? is why would abuse your van like that...I have the empty scale ticket from dealer test drive. and after a driver , fuel ,personal items , that leaves less than 3500 lbs available.. Not counting AC and generator.... I m confused why people want to overload their van for a few cents per mile more.....J M O

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app
My Promaster's door tag says it can carry up to 4,407 lbs. and I don't carry as much personal stuff as many drivers. I am VERY conscious of the weight of each item... generator is 52 lbs. and the 5,000 BTU air conditioner is MAYBE 30 lbs.

I drive more easily than probably every other owner here and I guarantee you the "floorboard" drivers that are getting 16ish MPG are abusing their Promasters MUCH more. They drive the Promaster's that are going to fail. They will report the failed transmissions and engines first. The longevity of mechanicals is much more a result of how you drive and how you maintain your vehicle!!!

BTW, it's A LOT more than a few cents more!

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Go with the gasser. I used to be a diehard diesel person, but after having my current van with the 5.4 gasser, I wouldn't want it any other way. At 370,000 miles so far, original eng, trans, and rears, I cannot see the advantage of having a diesel. Gas engines last longer today, possibly as long as a diesel engine, if maintained and treated properly. The absence of having to put DEF fluid in, anti-gel, the chance of the emissions system malfunctioning, the higher cost of diesel fuel in itself, the cold weather issues that could arise....versus a gasser....just gas it up and go...the cheaper cost of gas could outweigh the better fuel mileage a diesel may get..and, of course, if a van needs to idle for a bit, a gasser can handle that better than a diesel, even though idling is not good, period, for any engine.

I agree with about everything you said except gassers idle better. It's been my experience that gassers idling crap up and you need about 15 minutes of freeway driving before it stops acting like a thrashing machine. We idled for about 26 hours with our 7.3 and no problems. Sprinters have seem to always have EGR problems with idling. Seems like a generator is best with r v AC. Of course espar handles winter but summer is my bigget issue! :)

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Todd I will say the Dodge ProMaster is a nice looking unit. We had one in our shop a few weeks ago putting flooring in for a owner and we all was very impressed. I can post some pictures if you would like.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As you can see by these pictures the cargo space is very big.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1406143991291.jpg
    1406143991291.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1406144057116.jpg
    1406144057116.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1406144112317.jpg
    1406144112317.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 57

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Promaster's door tag says it can carry up to 4,407 lbs. and I don't carry as much personal stuff as many drivers. I am VERY conscious of the weight of each item... generator is 52 lbs. and the 5,000 BTU air conditioner is MAYBE 30 lbs.
!

I wouldn't take the tag at face value. Dodge won't be paying the fine if you're overweight.
The only sure way to know your capacity is to weigh it with all your stuff in it.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't take the tag at face value. Dodge won't be paying the fine if you're overweight.
The only sure way to know your capacity is to weigh it with all your stuff in it.
Exactly how would I get a fine for being overweight? Overweight what? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The limit is 10000 pounds for logging, scales, inspections, e.t.c. The GVW of the Promaster is 9350 lbs. There's no way I'm going to be over 10,000 pounds!!!

Time for your random drug test.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Exactly how would I get a fine for being overweight? Overweight what? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The limit is 10000 pounds for logging, scales, inspections, e.t.c. The GVW of the Promaster is 9350 lbs. There's no way I'm going to be over 10,000 pounds!!!

Time for your random drug test.

If your van is over 9350, you are overweight and you will get a fat ticket.

The best way to figure it out is to put all your stuff in the van, full tank of fuel, you in it, and weigh it. Take that number and subtract it from 9350. What you get is the maximum weight you can carry.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If your van is over 9350, you are overweight and you will get a fat ticket.
WRONG!

Please tell me EXACTLY how you know this!

Holy smokes! That means virtually every $printer driver is going to get up big phat ticket tomorrow for being overweight!

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I agree with about everything you said except gassers idle better. It's been my experience that gassers idling crap up and you need about 15 minutes of freeway driving before it stops acting like a thrashing machine. We idled for about 26 hours with our 7.3 and no problems. Sprinters have seem to always have EGR problems with idling. Seems like a generator is best with r v AC. Of course espar handles winter but summer is my bigget issue! :)

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

The 7.3 was an awesome, if not the best van diesel engine, imo...my 5.4 gasser idles fine for those rare occasions in which I do idle, such as having a 3 skid load and waiting to get unloaded in the front seat..the rooftop a/c and espar is a great way to go as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
WRONG!

Please tell me EXACTLY how you know this!

West, I'm not the one that is wrong here.
When the manufacturer says that the vehicle's GVWR is x, they mean that x is the maximum safe limit for this particular vehicle. If you put weight in there that takes the total weight past the GVWR, you are overweight and not safe.

And BTW, please stop making comments that don't have anything to do with the subject, ie, random drug test, etc.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think you should worry about your own trucks and I will worry about mine.

You said I was going to get a ticket for being overweight. WRONG!

If that was true then every $printer driver that list more than 2400 pound capacity should have a raft of tickets!!! I watch the load boards I can tell you just about every $printer driver claims more than 2400 pounds capacity.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

If that was true then every $printer driver that list more than 2400 pound capacity should have a raft of tickets!!! I watch the load boards I can tell you just about every $printer driver claims more than 2400 pounds capacity.

West,

I couldn't care less what you do with your trucks. But when you say things that are not true I will try to educate you. You might want to ask the safety guy at Load1 about this issue.

I don't know what every Sprinter owner does, but in mine I can LEGALLY carry 3200 lbs, but I don't put more then 2500 lbs on it. It is just not worth the extra wear.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes every sprinter that carries over there maximum gvw can get a ticket.

And so can you.

We don't have to go to the scales but we can still get pulled over for random weight check with portable scales.

Unless the back bumper of the van is dragging the ground they usually don't bother with you though.

If you don't know the actual curb weight of your vehicle you don't know the actual cargo capacity of your vehicle.

Who knows maybe you can carry 5000 pounds legally?

This is basic 101 How do you not know this?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
West,

I couldn't care less what you do with your trucks. But when you say things that are not true I will try to educate you. You might want to ask the safety guy at Load1 about this issue.

I don't know what every Sprinter owner does, but in mine I can LEGALLY carry 3200 lbs, but I don't put more then 2500 lbs on it. It is just not worth the extra wear.
Is your $printer a four wheeler with 8550 GVW? What model year is it? How much do you and your personal items weigh?

I don't care who B.S.s their way past Bill. That does not prove anything.

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well my 2006 weighed about 5,900 pounds EMPTY. How much does you and your personal gear weigh?

You need to weigh it like I said, with all your stuff in it and a full tank.

If I remember correctly my Sprinter with me and my crap in it and a full tank of fuel was around 5350 lbs.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
OK, all you guys with the TN1 $printers chime in here! Obviously it's time for the truth!!!

I hope I can meet you on the road somewhere to show you. I will even pay for a new scale ticket. :D

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app