2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad to see more realistic numbers for the Ford for capacity. I'd want to see good old arithmetic mpg numbers, not unknown accuracy van computer numbers, for both vehicles.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a long wheelbase Chevy. Any shocks or vibrations that are transferred through the vehicle seat to my seat are almost nil. 80% to 85 % of almost nil equates to almost nil +\- .00012%. Absolutely no reason comfort-wise to add an air ride seat to my van. If you need one for your Promaster, go for it!

Someone recently mentioned ordering an air ride seat for their Promaster. There must be reason it is offered as an option. Maybe it comes standard with the air brake, big rig upgrade package.

This may also come with the train horn package and the billy big rigger package consisting of a chain-drive wallet, mirrored sunglasses, and fingerless leather driving gloves. And a shower bag with no soap.

guido4475

Not a Member
Higher weight capacity is a good thing....more stable when fully loaded....but, I don't recall anyone mentioning an increase in revenue while hauling these possible heavier loads....yes, it will make you more valuable and useable, it may make the difference getting out of a bad area and sitting...but, hauling weight comes with a cost in all respects.

Back in the day...anyone remember semi trailers being 40, 45, 48, now 53, and they have experimented with 57's in the past years ago, but has the pay went up as the trailers got bigger?..

Just something to think about...

Leave the heavier loads to the straights...let a van be a van.

Just my opinion.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well everyone thanks for the input and such...I have decided to go with the Ford, now just do I go with the over $4,000 cheaper and better payload capacity 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost or the 3.2L Diesel with all of the emissions crap....Blah lol decisions....

This video helps me like the 3.5L a lot.... http://youtu.be/8tEqwXrqzH4

Wish we knew more about the 3.2L Diesel PowerStroke

guido4475

Not a Member
Well everyone thanks for the input and such...I have decided to go with the Ford, now just do I go with the over $4,000 cheaper and better payload capacity 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost or the 3.2L Diesel with all of the emissions crap....Blah lol decisions....

This video helps me like the 3.5L a lot.... Ford - F150 Ecoboost Torture Test Episodes 1-6 High Quality - YouTube

Wish we knew more about the 3.2L Diesel PowerStroke

Go with the gasser. I used to be a diehard diesel person, but after having my current van with the 5.4 gasser, I wouldn't want it any other way. At 370,000 miles so far, original eng, trans, and rears, I cannot see the advantage of having a diesel. Gas engines last longer today, possibly as long as a diesel engine, if maintained and treated properly. The absence of having to put DEF fluid in, anti-gel, the chance of the emissions system malfunctioning, the higher cost of diesel fuel in itself, the cold weather issues that could arise....versus a gasser....just gas it up and go...the cheaper cost of gas could outweigh the better fuel mileage a diesel may get..and, of course, if a van needs to idle for a bit, a gasser can handle that better than a diesel, even though idling is not good, period, for any engine.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me remind some of y'all that may have forgotten this true story:

Young man was driving a 2010 Sprinter, new model year. Happy go lucly was having a great time making Dolla's. One dark night on a load, BamBam, awh man I hit a deer. If you remember, This young man was out of service for a very long time, all due to the fact no parts were anywhere to be found for this new model Sprinter. The makers know parts are not needed right off the bat until a year or so later. But, still when you hit something you need more than just a water pump.

Don't let the eye candy of a new van get to ya. Take it from someone who use to sell these things... W A I T .

As far as the Ford- W A I T longer. Don't think that the delay of the Ford: "They got all the kinks out of it, or they wouldn't have released it to market."

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I vote diesel because of the extra torque and mpg. Plus better resale if you decide to sale it before it's all used up

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As Steady Eddie says....wait. Agreed.

Nice video. Over 160000 miles tested, very impressive :). Only thing missing are the repetition of time and environmental exposures. When these are factored in, the real maintenance and cost problems will begin to surface. As expeditors, we need the van with low cost maintenance and need to last atleast 5 years.

Here's more article:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140106/OEM06/301069958?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Oops lost the link:)

Last edited:

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me remind some of y'all that may have forgotten this true story:

Young man was driving a 2010 Sprinter, new model year. Happy go lucly was having a great time making Dolla's. One dark night on a load, BamBam, awh man I hit a deer. If you remember, This young man was out of service for a very long time, all due to the fact no parts were anywhere to be found for this new model Sprinter. The makers know parts are not needed right off the bat until a year or so later. But, still when you hit something you need more than just a water pump.

Don't let the eye candy of a new van get to ya. Take it from someone who use to sell these things... W A I T .

As far as the Ford- W A I T longer. Don't think that the delay of the Ford: "They got all the kinks out of it, or they wouldn't have released it to market."

I remember that guy lol ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the last 6 months I've delivered to Claycomo 9 or 10 times. One was a forklift battery, but all the other deliveries were prototype parts. Think about that for a minute.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the last 6 months I've delivered to Claycomo 9 or 10 times. One was a forklift battery, but all the other deliveries were prototype parts. Think about that for a minute.

Yes they are still making engineering changes on the go....LOL Your Transit may NOT be the same as the next guys......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes they are still making engineering changes on the go....LOL Your Transit may NOT be the same as the next guys......
Oh, based on comments I've heard from people at the plant, your Transit may not be the same as one that rolls off the line later that day, which could be different from the one that rolls off the line the next morning.

If you go to the plant, up on the hill around back, you'll see just a snotload of finished vans. Most of those are prototypes that will be scrapped, because the parts schedule has been changed.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I've delivered there a bunch of times and it was truly amazing to see the thousands of Transits sitting there!!!

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, based on comments I've heard from people at the plant, your Transit may not be the same as one that rolls off the line later that day, which could be different from the one that rolls off the line the next morning.

If you go to the plant, up on the hill around back, you'll see just a snotload of finished vans. Most of those are prototypes that will be scrapped, because the parts schedule has been changed.

Ah, geez, the Sprinter's junk, Promaster too. Now this ?!?!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, geez, the Sprinter's junk, Promaster too. Now this ?!?!

I don't think any of those are junk at all. My personal recommendation would be to let others be the guinea pigs with a new model, though, regardless of who made it.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It just amazes me that when the ProMaster came out last year, people ran to their dealers and bought hundreds of them for expediting. New, unproven in the US, built in Mexico and imported here. But everyone is afraid of the Ford Transit!!!!! Built near Kansas City, the only US built long/tall van! Give me some solid reasons to be afraid....Both gas engines have been around for years in lots of car and truck applications. And real prices between the Dodge and Ford are closer then most people think. The Ford comes with power windows, remote door locks, power mirrors and AM/FM CD radio with USB and straight plugins standard. I believe these are options on the Dodge. JMO

The diesel is a different story! Not used anywhere in the US except the Transit. That scares me for parts availability and a properly trained tech.