Where were you in 1999?

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Living in Fairbanks, Ak. Driving Dump truck in the summer, flying during hunting season and trapping in the winter.
Dan

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Living in Hampton, VA. Quit my job as a bookkeeper at a local construction company. The wife of a submariner, mom of 3 teenage boys, breathing, eating, and sleeping upper little league, American Legion and high school baseball.
Never even thought about truck driving at the time, and 3 short years later we were on the road.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Living in a van. 1999 was my 3rd year expediting, second year as an O/O.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Road sales of service to machinary to the manufacturing industries, all kinds...travelled 175,000 mile in 98-99. Was also doing the research on the Personal Chef Industry and forming that company that still is making money today with others employed to do the work while I play out here.......

Last edited:

are12

Expert Expediter
We were driving an 18 wheeler for TRL - they were a good company, made money with them but ran our butts off! We would pick up at Kodak in NY and run to California where we would load produce and haul a** to Jersey, just to do it all over again. (Certainly don't miss the big trucks)

I will never forget the "Pizza man" at the cooler's:p:p

I quit driving that Nov, to care for a brother that was very ill. (he was only given 3 months to live) I am grateful to be able to say, he is still alive and doing great!!

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Left Guardian of Ligonier behind to get my chauffeurs license and drive day-cab straight truck for the next 5 years. I don't miss the day-cab and being home every other day.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I was a junior at University of Georgia in Athens, GA (Go Dawgs) taking classes in the mornings and driving a UGA bus in the afternoon.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Working a 9-5 in a financial services company and thinking I was going to spend the rest of my life climbing the corporate ladder.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Was on with Roberts Express, had 3 trucks on then. Remember meeting Lawrence at a fuel stop and he handed me a filer about EO. JoeRoman.com was big then. Times was great and Roberts was changing. Had 4 years in the business back then, I think DaveKC was still on at Roberts then too.

Last edited:

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
O/O with Roberts Express.
Freight was really moving that year because of the y2k scare.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I was and still am running my autobody repair shop. I also haul expedited freight part time for some local companies.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I was a sales rep for a large distributor of outdoor power equipment. I called on power equipment dealers in northern Michigan and the U.P.

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

Let me see, 1999 that was the year, we did something. Oh that is right, we were expediting for Roberts Express, and C&M Transport. Along the way we made it to the first EO Expo held at the Detroiter (still have some T-Shirts from that).

My wife Wendy (WendyCal) was one of the original moderators, and the Expo was a chance to meet many of the other Expediters. From what I have read, the modern Expo's have come a long way from those humble beginnings.

It looks like usafk9 and I have just swapped jobs around, seeing I am the one who is now working in the Prison System.

Kevin

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I was in the process of moving from southern Ct., 45 miles North East from the George Washington Bridge, to the Ozarks of South\western\central Mo. to the metropolis of Drury. 200 miles South East of St Louis, 70 miles South West of Springfield Mo.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Howdy

Let me see, 1999 that was the year, we did something. Oh that is right, we were expediting for Roberts Express, and C&M Transport. Along the way we made it to the first EO Expo held at the Detroiter (still have some T-Shirts from that).

My wife Wendy (WendyCal) was one of the original moderators, and the Expo was a chance to meet many of the other Expediters. From what I have read, the modern Expo's have come a long way from those humble beginnings.

It looks like usafk9 and I have just swapped jobs around, seeing I am the one who is now working in the Prison System.

Kevin

Olko, WOW!! What a blast from the past!!

Great to see your post. Indeed - the Expo has come a long way!!

Here is some picture of our very first "unofficial expo" - I think we had 40 people show up. You and Wendy were the first ones.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/549

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow Lawrence great pictures and the Expo has come a long ways this the Detroiter Days!

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
10 years ago today my wife checked into the hospital for surgery to remove a benign tumor. Approximately six weeks later she died of a brain hemorrhage caused by an unrelated infection she developed in the hospital during recovery. She never left the hospital after checking in. Much of the rest of the year is a bit of a blur to me, though I did do a bit of travelling (anything to keep me moving and motivated). I tell people that I lost interest in a lot of things at that time, including the business I owned. I never recovered interest in the business, and sold it in 2004 so that my new wife and I could buy a truck and hit the road expediting.

Doug Simmons