Wonder how many trucks were lost to "Carb" rules Jan 1st?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ca has been doing it their way long before Obama....

Yes, but until Obama they were not allowed to impose their regulations on trucks not domiciled in CA. They fought with the Bush administration tooth and nail over that, lost every time in the courts.

It would be no different if Michigan were to ban all CA trucks that don't meet some Michigan only regulation.

CA is a radical state, bogus regs written in part by a man who lied about his education background. The validity of the work is very much in question and yet ONE STATE is doing serious damage to the industry and financial health of the Nation.

They are very much part of the problems that are costing us so many jobs and lost production.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think CA had done a lot to clean up old stinky trucks that no other has tackled yet,,,they NEED to be cleaned up.... Why is it we still don't use C50 in the whole country yet? That would clean up a lot of pollution. I hope CA keeps up being a real leader in cleaning up the air!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think CA had done a lot to clean up old stinky trucks that no other has tackled yet,,,they NEED to be cleaned up.... Why is it we still don't use C50 in the whole country yet? That would clean up a lot of pollution. I hope CA keeps up being a real leader in cleaning up the air!

Prove any of this. Prove there is even a problem. You are just being contrary because your tiny toy is not yet affected. Not to worry, it will be soon. CA is a total joke, They are more broke than the US government is, in part, due to their foolish regs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now who is talking weird? There is technology to make them run a lot cleaner only if the other 49 states would take their collective heads from their butts.... Oh wait... Some have by anti idling laws

Cetane
Diesel fuels ignite upon injection into the combustion chamber. For optimal performance and power, auto ignition must occur with the minimum possible delay or ignition lag.

Thus, refiners and marketers measure the fuel’s cetane number to determine how readily the fuel ignites in the engine. Fuels with big cetane numbers ignite more readily, providing shorter ignition-delay periods.

A minimum cetane number of 40 is specified for diesel fuels in the United States and 50 in Europe, as well as most other parts of the world. Cetane numbers higher than 50 provide optimum operation and low particulate matter (PM) emissions.

The question should be...Why is the US only still using C-40 standard?...My thinking is...follow the lobby money.

Density
Increasing the fuel density increases the power output of a diesel engine per unit volume of fuel consumed. Yet, reducing the fuel density reduces nitrogen oxide (NOx) and PM emissions.

Research shows that reductions in density as small as 5 percent can reduce PM emissions by as much as 20 percent in older engines; more modern engines show further PM reductions. Lower NOx emissions are observed with lower peak pressures and temperatures associated with burning low-density fuels. Therefore, current diesel-engine design focuses on how to weigh positive (emission reductions) factors associated with lower fuel densities between performances (more power) associated with higher fuel densities.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The "global warming" BS has been proven wrong, SO, it's now "climate change". The lies have been running rampant all over Europe and wacko lands like CA. Obama and Co. and the UN are right there shoveling the manure with them.

Yeah, we CAN clean up things. We have been for DECADES. The air and water are cleaner now than at anytime in my lifetime, yet, they continue with the BS and scare tactics. Until they ALL come clean, admit to the lies, faked research and point out all the tremendous progress that has already been made, I don't buy their bull.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No one mentioned global warming...

The regs that CA is stuffing us with is based on, in part, bogus research, by a man who faked his education. It was meant to "PROVE" that man is the cause of everything bad. The so called "green movement" has little credibility left.

The regs are more than suspect. Laws regulation SHOULD be based on solid, verifiable research, not agenda based research.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dirty diesel is indeed a fact.

So is the manufacturing process needed to produce "cleaner" reefers and engines to replace perfectly functioning equipment. Not to mention that they were LEGAL when built and SHOULD remain so for the normal life of the equipment. As new trucks/reefers are bought the newer, cleaner, units will come on line. As it always as been.

This equipment is VERY expensive. To not be able to run serviceable equipment for it's entire life is driving up costs to levels that can no longer be sustained and, in the end, we will all pay the price. The costs of goods and services will be driven out of reach of many.

No one is saying to not clean it up. We SHOULD, however, do it smart, based on real research and in a manner that does not put people out of work wholesale.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
States can make amendments to the federal DOT regulations but can not delete any Federal regulations....such as La. issuing fines for having the lift axle controls within reach of the operator...we were busted twice and it didn't matter that the truck was purchased this way.

I use to love drifting by the Fermi nuke plant with a crawler harness in the warmer water limiting out on walleye....and the water got super clean once the Zebra mussels invaded the great lakes....hard to believe Lake Erie caught on fire in the past.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use to love drifting by the Fermi nuke plant with a crawler harness in the warmer water limiting out on walleye....and the water got super clean once the Zebra mussels invaded the great lakes....hard to believe Lake Erie caught on fire in the past.

The walleye are still very thick on the Lake. I also have a catfish hole that I have been fishing on and off for over 50 years. Never been skunked there yet.

I can show you a "rock" up on the "River". When I was fishing a lot I would take 60 walleye each year off of that rock. I stopped taking them after number 60 went in the freezer, that is all we could use in a year. That normally took about 2 to 3 weeks to do.

Yeah, the Lakes are cleaner now than any point in my life. The zebra mussels are a double edged sword. They have helped to clean up the Lake but they also have had a very negative impact on the food chain. Their numbers have fallen off drastically over the past several years, partly because they ate themselves out of house and home and partly because every thing and his brother has learned to eat them. The damage they were causing at power plants etc has slowed down as well.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No one mentioned global warming...

Most of Carb is based on global warming or climate change for the politically correct. For all the research for it, there is as much that disproves it.
The green energy crusade is its own worse enemy. You won't see that kind of European diesel until they can install a refinery for it. Guess what, the green folks don't want it in THEIR backyard.
It takes considerable time for that type of conversion which would require a huge disruption in fuel supply. When you have only two places doing that type of refining, you have a problem.
There are cost effective ways to do some of it but regulations outpace common sense.
Those current regulations block the oil industry from making any gains on that front.
If they did proceed, the costs would outweigh any financial benefits. Stockholders don't look kindly on investments that lose money. Kind of like you running for van for .30 cents a mile for the sake of saving a tree. Are you in? :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, the last major refinery built was in 1977. The last small one was in WY in 08. Have to fix that problem first verses goofy regulations on the transportation industry.
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=29&t=6

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So Instead we created DEF ? With those associated problems and extra costs

We sure have, and in doing so, created another industry that was never needed in the first place.
Nothing to do with clean air. If that was the case, we would have switched to propane or natural gas years ago. This is about money plain and simple.
Just follow the money and that tells you why this has little to do with clean air.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The question should be...Why is the US only still using C-40 standard?...My thinking is...follow the lobby money.

Yup ...

The specific answer has to do with the particular type of crude that we refine here, and the process that is used to do it ...

Different process = different type of refinery - ie. new refineries - the roadblocks to which (not all of which are governmental) are nearly insurmountable.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
[/B]Yup ...

The specific answer has to do with the particular type of crude that we refine here, and the process that is used to do it ...

Different process = different type of refinery - ie. new refineries - the roadblocks to which (not all of which are governmental) are nearly insurmountable.

That would be my take. If we are going to go down the road to clean air, and do it efficiently, my guess would be natural gas as it is cheap and some of the infrastructure is already in place.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
After 78 posts I wonder if anyone knows

How many trucks were lost to CARB rules Jan 1st ?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
They are always biting around here!:D

piranha-eat-cows-1.jpg

Apparently, they're biting here too.