Wonder how many trucks were lost to "Carb" rules Jan 1st?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
2000 to 2004 engines were given until Jan 31st to register with Cali for a 1 year extension
I sent a link to a thread here to a friend of mine who runs white glove with his wife in a truck effected by this. They looked at the website and researched what was involved in getting registered for the 1 year extension. He told me that the extension, as he understood it, was only available for those who were in the process of getting the retrofit done, but had encountered delays (parts shortage, backlog at the shop, etc...he named off a few things). In other words, he didn't find it to be just a simple extension for anyone who asked for it, there were stipulations. I'm sure that some amount of "creativity" might have got around some of those hurdles and, if it effected me, I would have been willing to do that....possibly. He wasn't.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think he misinterpreted what he read. Anyone was entitled to the extension with the correct model year engine. It was set forth to give time because of the cost. I could understand the confusion though. The web site is a little confusing. The application process left a little to be desired also. Carb could have made the whole process much easier and the explanation of the rules better.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Here's one mans opinion on a cure from another site;

"Last time I checked, from a buddy that hauls cattle into Cali, you don't have to stop for the Carb nazis. He drives a 359 with a c model and just gives them the bird when they try to wave him over. CHP told him they couldn't make him stop. I was with him when this happened so don't call me a liar. So if you don't have to stop and be checked, why worry about it? Just keep on keeping on.."

I also read a short bit on a less costly hydrogen generator alternative in the works that needs federal testing and approval and supposedly cleans up emissions nicely. The future of CARB's compliance and enactment will be interesting.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My son cannot run ca because of the carb stuff, but he does not need ca for produce and such. He is busy with Tx and Tn and has found a nitch in the market. No ca, no ny, no maine, no New England , and no tolls and all that shtez. Hey, it works for him and his wallet and he sees the wife and kids about every weekend , unreal, an 18 wheeler pilot seeing his wife and kids that much, whats a boy to do... on that note, if they do want him to run produce to NY, he doubles his price just to be nice and let them turn him down, but he doesn't need it.

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
Well put. Did you consider opening a warehouse or two in the Zona border much like in the fashion of Laredo Tx to Mexico where California Compliant Trucks can pick up freight headed in and bring out freight to be swapped there headed east?

California hates capitalism but loves spending and taxing the money it generates.