Wonder how many trucks were lost to "Carb" rules Jan 1st?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That would be my take. If we are going to go down the road to clean air, and do it efficiently, my guess would be natural gas as it is cheap and some of the infrastructure is already in place.

Alot apparently. We have been here a week and running as hard as ever. Pre dispatched thru Monday.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
States can make amendments to the federal DOT regulations but can not delete any Federal regulations....such as La. issuing fines for having the lift axle controls within reach of the operator...we were busted twice and it didn't matter that the truck was purchased this way.

hard to believe Lake Erie caught on fire in the past.

That was the Cuyahoga river that caught fire, not lake Erie.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
[/B]Yup ...

The specific answer has to do with the particular type of crude that we refine here, and the process that is used to do it ...

Different process = different type of refinery - ie. new refineries - the roadblocks to which (not all of which are governmental) are nearly insurmountable.

I don't buy the whole story...US buys over 60% of it's crude from Canada....and they do C50....

so the U.S. is NOT up to the task...and comes up a snoozer again...all the world has it but the U.S....hmmmmm i say.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess I stand corrected about the fire but it was extremely polluted at one time.

All of the Great Lakes and most of the tributary rivers were at one time. We sure have done a wonderful job cleaning them up. It is far from over, we must not let down our guard. They are far too important to let them go bad.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hello Lee/Lou you know who you are:rolleyes:
I appreciate all the comments and for the record I do love running west... Short runs kill me cause well we both are present for every p/u and delivery.
Drive sleep mode works best as I can't sleep 8 hrs unless I put in 11 behind the wheel so yes I would like to run west.
I also like being able to hit my weekly goal in one load.
We don't really see 7k loads that often but am content with $5500 when it happens.
Since we sold our truck I am content to make $1000 a week and not worry about the next big breakdown...
I like simple

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
After 78 posts I wonder if anyone knows

How many trucks were lost to CARB rules Jan 1st ?

This is likely an impossible number to figure out. CARB is not releasing # of trucks granted extensions or are the tracking trucks that have been retrofitted. However at this point I don't think the retrofitting is that big an impact considering many of the companies doing this don't even keep the kits in stock. That alone tells you how few trucks are being converted.

What we do know is that over 60% of the US fleet is over 2006 or older. So next year is going to be the big impact year. But if early rates on TT OTR freight is any indication, many have not been prepared and that has created a capacity issue.

On expedite, it was rare that you saw a load on Sylectus to or from CA but I am seeing ones daily now.

In the end, we really won't know till after the fact when we see the rates paid. If we see a spike then we will know it had an impact.

I do find it funny hearing form those people that are just going to ignore it. They have some fantasy belief that he CARB cops have not authority.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
California got into the business of approving specific devices for retrofits. The retrofit saga continues as one manufacturer seems to have abrubtly shut down, leaving people wondering what is to happen next. Even if you comply and invest in approved equipment, you may still be left holding the bag.

Story here

guido4475

Not a Member
There may be a link on this thread, but didnt see it. I have a friend in a straight truck that says anything 2003 and older cannot go to california unless retrofitted to meet their standards. Is there a complete list of what needs to be done to a truck to meet their requirements? and if so, starting what year? He doesnt come on here, so this is to settle a difference of opinion.Thanks in advance!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
This is likely an impossible number to figure out. CARB is not releasing # of trucks granted extensions or are the tracking trucks that have been retrofitted. However at this point I don't think the retrofitting is that big an impact considering many of the companies doing this don't even keep the kits in stock. That alone tells you how few trucks are being converted.

What we do know is that over 60% of the US fleet is over 2006 or older. So next year is going to be the big impact year. But if early rates on TT OTR freight is any indication, many have not been prepared and that has created a capacity issue.

On expedite, it was rare that you saw a load on Sylectus to or from CA but I am seeing ones daily now.

In the end, we really won't know till after the fact when we see the rates paid. If we see a spike then we will know it had an impact.

I do find it funny hearing form those people that are just going to ignore it. They have some fantasy belief that he CARB cops have not authority.
I know that if the rates do spike, there will be a scramble to get certified trucks in the fleet to take advantage of the rates...but wouldn't it be great to see 'em suffer a few years? I would love to see a situation where it takes 2 to 3 years minimum for the capacity to catch up...leaving them to pay huge increases in rates and slow their economy even more. All of this garbage they have forced on the transportation industry sounds good as long as it doesn't effect them. I can't wait to hear the sniveling and whining if the end result gets deep into THEIR pockets also.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I know that if the rates do spike, there will be a scramble to get certified trucks in the fleet to take advantage of the rates...but wouldn't it be great to see 'em suffer a few years? I would love to see a situation where it takes 2 to 3 years minimum for the capacity to catch up...leaving them to pay huge increases in rates and slow their economy even more. All of this garbage they have forced on the transportation industry sounds good as long as it doesn't effect them. I can't wait to hear the sniveling and whining if the end result gets deep into THEIR pockets also.

If a true capacity shortage developed because of the CARB rules, CARB would agree to suspend or otherwise delay the effective dates of the rules so that a truly painful capacity crunch would not happen.

Just ask them. Everybody in California is for clean air. But if the rules caused a real truck shortage -- one that seriously hurt or inconvenienced the general public or politically powerful segments -- and if that truck shortage prompted a threatening backlash against CARB, CARB would back down in the interests of self preservation and living to fight another day.

Politics will keep a true CARB-induced capacity crunch from developing. The rules can be instantly relaxed if the public pain becomes too great.

Last edited:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I can't help but think there are many like me who will not upgrade right away and here's why; 2006 engines, which mine is, will require the DPF by 01/01/14 according to current CARB rules. 2006 trucks are now hitting the 500-900K mile mark, so an inframe, if not done recently, will be needed soon. I can't see sinking or having recently sunk the dollars on an inframe, shortblock, or longblock and then dropping another $10,000 plus for a DPF just to cross into Cali. Along with the negatives of roughly loosing 1/2 mpg in fuel economy, cost of cleaning/replacing the DPF's and the added risk of setting the country side on fire like what happened in WA state due to sparks from a DPF all weigh in against me upgrading for now.

Didn't I read somewhere CARB states 60% compliance on older engines so far. I think the compliance rate on '04 to '06 engines will be even less. I chose to own a pre-emission (none DPF) to avoid the headaches and added expense and plan to keep our paid off truck for another 5 yrs. This is why we have meticulously maintained it inside and out. It would be foolish for us to give up a perfectly good truck in favor of a new one just to stay in compliance with CARB, who, as Phil pointed out, comes along and decides to make our truck non-compliant, even tho at the time of purchase, this non-compliance was no where on the radar.

One can only hope CARB will ease up on the issue until a better solution comes along vs DPF's but not going to hold my breath.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
As of 1/31/13 all 04 or older engine models, not trucks, have to be registered with carb or retrofitted with a dpf. I think some older engine years are now non compliant no matter what. Just remember it is engine year not truck year.

Retrofitting will be more than 10k. More closer to 20k. You first have to have it tested to figure out which dpf you need then purchase it then have installed by a certified installer then tested again to make sure it is within the particulate matter reduction carb as set forth.

I have heard the dpf are anywhere from 15k to 20k along with what I am sure is a ridiculously priced test before and after. Then there is the cleaning and loss of fuel economy as was already mentioned.

We called and had no longer California compliant put on our screen as we have an 04 model engine. We liked going to California but we wont now just out of spite. The usdot and other federal authorities should have stopped this infringement on interstate commerce as soon as it started.

Now to figure out where to put a cross dock warehouse !!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose spite may come into play, but the reality is that you're making a sound, sensible financial decision. That's a crazy amount of coin to drop just for the honor of going to Cali.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
2000 to 2004 engines were given until Jan 31st to register with Cali for a 1 year extension

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ya, thats what I said. Registered or retrofitted. Just not worth it and if more would refuse it would create a shortage and a relaxing of the rules as phil mentioned.

Teach them a lesson.