Wonder how many trucks were lost to "Carb" rules Jan 1st?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... when it comes down to a dwindling fleet of capable trucks, supply and demand may command higher rates. (?)

I thought the same thing until I looked into it. These regs have been phasing in over the last few years. Our number came up in 2013 but big carriers have been putting big money into new trucks through this time period and their ongoing fierce competition keeps rates as low as always. There are several carriers outside of expedite that run compliant TVAL trucks now. I see no compliant equipment shortage developing on a scale large enough to affect rates.

If prices started to rise in a significant way, it would be an easy matter for those carriers to shift their model to meet the need expedite carriers meet now. Also, if prices rose in a big way, TVAL shippers may become more price sensitive than they are now. They have the ability to make numerous changes in their systems to ship the same amount of product but with fewer truck trips.

Also note the presence of company-owned TVAL equipment, larger fleet owners and preferential dispatch at FedEx Custom Critical now that did not exist ten years ago. If it became attractive to inject more CARB-compliant TVAL trucks into the market, the carrier and big fleet owners could quickly do so. There may be an opportunity but individual owner/operators may not be well positioned to benefit from it.

A shortage of compliant equipment is a hypothetical. If it happens, it does not automatically mean a driver-favorable change in the supply-demand equation. Many variables are in constant play. It is best not to consider one in isolation.

Hypothetically speaking would it make sense to incur the expense of an upgrade if it allowed you 3 additional years of west coast revenue?
Even @ 40K

It may, yes, depending on what profit margin is acceptable to you. But as I said, when the CARB regs prompted us to look around and a better opportunity was discovered, we went with the better opportunity.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There is a program thru CARB where a non-compliant truck is allowed one trip into Ca. This may help when you're the only truck in position for that one hot load or a re-power.
I didn't pay attention to the details. It may have been in a recent weekly bulletin.
I think you have to preregister to qualify.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
One of our team friends with the Cat are running a 2003 into Sac over the weekend. The owner thinks there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have not yet decided what we are going to do. Most of the time we do better when not running out west. We are going to run around the east, for a bit, to see how it affects our business. We are do for TVAL in June, IF we are going to upgrade we will do it in time for that.

Back when Diane and I ran with FedEx Custom Critical, the rule was that a TVAL truck had to be legal in California to be flagged for TVAL work in any state. Has that changed?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One of our team friends with the Cat are running a 2003 into Sac over the weekend. The owner thinks there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums mobile app

The likelihood of having a problem is small, the DOT does not enforce the emissions, it is the CARB cops.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
The likelihood of having a problem is small, the DOT does not enforce the emissions, it is the CARB cops.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

Probably right but then again...
Carb has a link to settlements (fines imposed) on their website and it appears they are looking for revenue anywhere.
Ships, lawnmowers, dirt bikes, going forward I wouldn't be surprised if you had to mount a fart can on your dog to walk old Fido.
Enforcement: 2012 Case Settlements

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wonder if CARB could sit back, wait for first 1/4 IFTA reports and send you a fine notice where you could give proof of compliance or send the fine money ?
You already incriminated yourself by telling them you had your 03 in Ca.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
gee, sounds to me like someone could make good money running a warehouse/transfer yard on the CA border.....

I for one hate new rules, especially when they apply them to older trucks. I can understand the "knee jerk" reaction to global warming and pollution, but I honestly think they are looking in the wrong direction on this one. There are FAR more cars on the road in CA than trucks, maybe......MAYBE, you should look there first? How do they expect to get all those fancy purses and sports cars and other high end goods? The saying "Good Stuff, Trucks Bring It" fits here, and CA is gonna be hating life if they ban the trucks.

Then again, why would anyone want to run CA? I wouldn't want to be there when it falls into the ocean........lol.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There'll be no shortage of trucks. Plenty of 05-12 trucks on the road.
I would've loved to have kept my 01 COE.
There was talk that Wisconsin wanted to adopt the CARB rules. If too many states jump on it'll be chaos.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Here is a link to a news story I place on RoadGorilla .... the costs are tremendous.

Ron Lord, the owner of Lord Trucking out of Red Bluff said many of these truckers will be facing unemployment because they simply cannot afford to meet the new requirements.

Lord has been in the industry for almost 30 years.

He said he received a letter from the board last week. It states that all vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds from the 2000 to 2004 model years will be forced to upgrade to a verified soot filter or be replaced altogether.

Lord bought his 2000 model year big rig in 2005. He said the cost for his truck to get the filter would be $24,000.

Although he knew the board was adding some new regulations he said he was still shocked when he found out the extent of them.
"I always thought this was a right-to-work state. I thought you had the right to work and when they take your right to work away, well what do you do? I don't have any way of feeding my family after they take my truck away. I'm 68 years old so I ain't just going to run out and get a new job just anywhere at my age so this totally puts me out of the business and puts me out of work," Lord said.

Lord said he has seen some filters for around $16,000 but that either way, that is a lot of money to fork out before the new year, especially on top of the annual fees that truckers already have to pay.

Lord said there are a few agriculture-related exemptions to the new rules. He hauls logs and strawberries, but he said what the state considers to be agriculture is very select.

According to the legislation, if truckers don't upgrade their trucks, they will be looking at $1,000 fines per violation per month at minimum.

Lord said there is a group of local truckers that is hoping to meet and work on some solutions.

Article: Some trucking companies will be out of business as of January 1 because of n

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Should someone living in Ca been paying more attention ?
Ca has been giving vouchers( up to $50,000 I believe) and other assistance.

The EPA gave me 40% of the cost of the APU of my choice pretty much in return of three hours of my time.
I got in on the first round by paying attention.

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
A little background link on the CARB rulings. These new rules are based on a fraudulent report by Hein Tran, who "bought" his Phd from Thornhill University which is located in Israel but in the USA is nothing more than a UPS PO box in New York, which means he paid cash for an authentic looking piece of paper that looks like a diploma. He was hired by CARB, did his report which everybody fell for, then the fraud was discovered. Does that change anything? Hell no. Here is the link to the background of all of this, and how it will kill the trucking industry in California and any other states that follow through:

KILLCARB.ORG - Ad Hoc Group Demands CARB Replacement of Tran Report

It is a giant shame (sham?) that this, even after the discovery of the fraud, is being allowed to happen.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little background link on the CARB rulings. These new rules are based on a fraudulent report by Hein Tran, who "bought" his Phd from Thornhill University which is located in Israel but in the USA is nothing more than a UPS PO box in New York, which means he paid cash for an authentic looking piece of paper that looks like a diploma. He was hired by CARB, did his report which everybody fell for, then the fraud was discovered. Does that change anything? Hell no. Here is the link to the background of all of this, and how it will kill the trucking industry in California and any other states that follow through:

KILLCARB.ORG - Ad Hoc Group Demands CARB Replacement of Tran Report

It is a giant shame (sham?) that this, even after the discovery of the fraud, is being allowed to happen.

Old news and didn't make a difference. Live with it.

People have known about these changes for years, its nothing new. Therefore, you have two choices, no make that three choices.

Choice one buy a newer vehicle
Choice two pay to up grade your equipment with a CARB compliant filter
Choice three, don't go to California, they wont care because enough people have newer vehicles anyway.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Old news and didn't make a difference. Live with it.

People have known about these changes for years, its nothing new. Therefore, you have two choices, no make that three choices.

Choice one buy a newer vehicle
Choice two pay to up grade your equipment with a CARB compliant filter
Choice three, don't go to California, they wont care because enough people have newer vehicles anyway.

Choice four, leave the business for a better opportunity.