What would you do??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, but what's derogatory about the Midget Retirement Home, in all caps, which denotes an actual place in Sarasota, Florida, founded by famed midget Anna N. "Nita" Krebs in 1949, born in 1905 in Czechoslovakia? I take my midgets very seriously. :D

She's 4th from the right in the picture.
nate_eagle2.jpg

She retired herself in 1960, although she continued to work at the Ringling Bros. Circus Hall of Fame, and made appearances at two Oz reunions, in 1989 and 1991. She died of a heart attack on January 18, 1991 at her home in Sarasota.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Hmm,quite snappy,,,Turtle. Defense!! Defense!!

I recognize the guy on the left, I think he was in Ringling Bros. when I attended back in the early 70s at the Balt. Civic Center.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was not going to chime in this one but here goes. Jenny the only thing I think you could have done different was to let them know you were calling for help. I am saddened by your experiences at trucks stop as I like Cheri have seen the other side.
I find most men hold the door for me and almost always say good morning or afternoon. I have been waiting for Bob and have men jump up and offer me their seat in the TV room. When I am out walking I have had men give me the thumbs up and often say they wish they had my dedication. I am an early riser and I often walk into the truck stop early in the morning while it is still dark out. I stay to the traveled path and do not walk between trucks and as of yet I have never felt any fear. It could happen but it could also happen at home when I go to the grocery store. Over all I feel as if the men out here are much more courteous then the guy that walks in before me at the post office. Maybe this is due to my age but I like Cheri think it is also due to my attitude of I know where I am, I belong here, and do not mess with me. So I give men the thumbs up over all for how I am treated.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Well I guess that wasn't him, heck he died before I was born. I wish you hadn't ever posted that picture. Ive been trying to think of the little guys name ever since. I'll probably remember about the time I get fast asleep and it will set me up in the bed. If I10 doesn't throw me out of bed first, rRrUuUfFfFf RrRoOoDdD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I actually did visit the Midge Retirement Home back in the 80's. Great bunch of people.

I love it when a little person gets all excited and their little T-Rex arms go all wild and stuff.

I'll burn for that one.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Of course it doesn't make sense to you. Why would it? I quit trying to make sense to you a long time ago, and just because you don't think it's funny doesn't mean it isn't...

On TOP of the silly remark, MRS. LAYOUTSHOOTER posted the idea about using the camera phone, NOT I!! She forgot to log out and log back in as YarnDoll. SHE did NOT think it was funny either. Why do you feel the need to get personal all the time? That is just plain weird. You don't know me, have most likely NEVER even met me. Stick to picking on my ideas, it's more fun. I see NO NEED for the personal "jabs". Resorting to that sort of things tells me much about just how weak your arguments really are.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I actually did visit the Midge Retirement Home back in the 80's. Great bunch of people.

I love it when a little person gets all excited and their little T-Rex arms go all wild and stuff.

I'll burn for that one.

Yes, you will. And sooner, rather than later, if the Lilliputians happen to read it, Gulliver. :eek:
But so will I, cos I'm still laughing. :D

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
On TOP of the silly remark, MRS. LAYOUTSHOOTER posted the idea about using the camera phone, NOT I!! She forgot to log out and log back in as YarnDoll. SHE did NOT think it was funny either. Why do you feel the need to get personal all the time? That is just plain weird. You don't know me, have most likely NEVER even met me. Stick to picking on my ideas, it's more fun. I see NO NEED for the personal "jabs". Resorting to that sort of things tells me much about just how weak your arguments really are.

With the life you've claimed to have lived thus far, I am perplexed by what thin skin you have...

rootie

Seasoned Expediter
WOW! I am brand new to this whole truck driving thing, and since Michigan is a dying state for hair dressers, my roomie and I decided to hit the road. It's things like this that scare the bejesus out of me. I say you did the right thing, but more so scary is this creepy man was a fellow truck driver. I have heard from DAY ONE that all truckers stick together and look out for one another. I would have laid on the horn and acted a fool- SOMEONE would have come to my aid... I would have hoped. Be safe and invest in that wasp spray. Maybe get a dog? Good luck! And thanks for posting this, now I have good ideas if it ever happens to me. :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the life you've claimed to have lived thus far, I am perplexed by what thin skin you have...

I just think is it silly. I don't live a "claimed" life. I have done everything that I said I have and then some.If you need proof stop by the house sometime when I am there. I will provide ample documentation of my vaired and exciting life as well as a home cooked duck or venison dinner and the proper "adult" beverage for that meal. When there you would learn the entire history of my storied past. I leave out much in here, due to a lack of time and space, I just hit the highlights. LOL!!

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
AND...... This was the real reason for the post I believe, besides to get some new idea's as to how to react to these kinds of things. I want to Thank Jenny for posting it, also Thank those of you who took the time to respond with your idea's.
Also A big THANK YOU to teamcaffee for pointing out that it can and does happen everywhere to all woman......even our mothers and daughters......But most of all I agree on the attitude...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How a person acts and "carries" themselfs makes a very big difference. Always walk with confidence, look into other eyes. Make sure that they know that you know that they are there. Look strong and ALWAYS be prepared to ACT if need be.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
WOW! I am brand new to this whole truck driving thing, and since Michigan is a dying state for hair dressers, my roomie and I decided to hit the road. It's things like this that scare the bejesus out of me. I say you did the right thing, but more so scary is this creepy man was a fellow truck driver. I have heard from DAY ONE that all truckers stick together and look out for one another. I would have laid on the horn and acted a fool- SOMEONE would have come to my aid... I would have hoped. Be safe and invest in that wasp spray. Maybe get a dog? Good luck! And thanks for posting this, now I have good ideas if it ever happens to me. :eek:

Rootie, good luck out there. As far as everything dying off in MI, I know where you are coming from. we're from Dearborn Heights. Been in either management or mechanics my whole career and it was tough to find something, that's why we turned to the road.

As far as a dog goes, we chose to leave our little bark box at home because having him with us takes away from our revenue. Most power plants, hazmat and other high priced loads will not allow you to have pets in the truck. So we chose to go without the company of our little furball. But he is really excited to see us when we do go home.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Jenny,
I have to agree with Cheri and TeamCaffee here. Be aware of your surroundings (you were) and let others know that you aren't to be messed with. My hubby teases me because he says he's watched me walk across a truckstop parking lot and he said I look like I'm ready to kick someone's butt most of the time LOL
I've had a few men make "not so nice" comments, but that is few and far between, and it only takes a "look" to put most in their place.
Enjoy the fun out here, be aware, and please post more often!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jenny: I hope that Pelicn, TeamCaffee, & I didn't make you feel as if we're dismissing your concerns - it can be a pretty scary world for women sometimes. We just don't want to see someone feeling afraid to go about their business each day, ok?
PS Everything I learned about courage was taught by a woman far younger than me: she was raped and seriously beat up by several men just 10 days before her wedding - but she refused to let them ruin anything more of her life than they already had, and the wedding went ahead as planned [except for the makeup covering the bruises]. That was 20 yrs ago, and she's still married, has 3 grown kids, and remains the strongest woman I've ever known.
That's what real courage is to me: refusing to give what they cannot take from you, no matter what else they took by force.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Jenny, I'm sorry you had to experience the frightening behavior of the dregs of the male truckers. There is a percentage of them that have failed to evolve much past caveman, but most are good and decent people. Don't let the bottom of the barrel rotten apples cause you to live your life in fear. By doing so, you have given them control and you will never be able to live and enjoy your life to the fullest. That's not to say that you shouldn't live "smart" and do what you can to protect yourself, but don't let those neanderthals get the upper hand.

As has been mentioned, always be aware of your surroundings and always have a plan tucked away should you feel threatened in any way. Find your "attitude" and don't be afraid to "show" it. Who cares if some knuckle-dragging cave man thinks you are a rude ***** for giving them a "get lost loser" look? Walk with your head held high and purposeful determination that lets others know that you are not intimidated. That being said, always keep safety in mind first and foremost and don't foolishly take risks or put yourself into dangerous situations of course... but at the same time, don't let fear run your life.

You are a very beautiful young woman, and from your posts sound like a very sweet person, so find that "attitude" and you will do just fine. ;)