What would you do??

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I know that there are other posts out there similar to this one, but I had a very strange thing happen the other day and it really freaked me out.

Thursday night we stopped at the Pilot to fuel up, and get some stuff before we left on our load. Nick was inside and I was sitting in the drivers seat using the computer. I had the dome light on and I felt like someone was watching me. I glanced up into the passanger window and could see a man standing behind me watching me. I looked back down like I didnt notice him. Then he moved over in front of the van staring in the windshield from the passenger side. Still ignoring him he moved to the drivers side again and started knocking on the window. I looked down and thankfully had my phone between my legs and all I could type out to Nick with out making it obvious was "help" He came out and just as he came out the guy walked away back to the big truck lot.

About 2 hours later in Ohio this flatbed came up behind me and rode behind me for a while, and passed me and slowed down to 45. I passed him again, and he got right on my butt. Being in a van and not being able to see the headlights of a Peterbilt behind you, they are pretty close. He then proceedes the flash his lights at me. I got back over into the left hand lane and let him pass me. I dropped way back and let him get way ahead.

After I got into Kentucky I came upon the first rest area. After I passed it I noticed that this truck was sitting on the exit ramp. He proceeded to pull out behind me and do the same things as he had done earlier. I was coming up on construction so I did the only thing that I could think of and called the police. I figured that there were going to be police in that area. Since I didnt see a company name I couldnt call the company as well, but a few miles down the road he was pulled over.

It definately freaked me out.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I think you did the right thing in both situations, the only thing I would add....when you were sitting in the van alone and this creep came close to the vehicle, I would have reached over and laid on the horn until he either took off or someone noticed and came to inquire. You did the right thing by texting Nick but in the event that he couldn't get to you fast enough, you need to draw attention to your situation.

You must have been really freaked, these things happening within hours of each other. That's one of the things I don't like about this business, having to deal with weirdos that can't seem to leave the rest of us alone.

I used to fuel the truck while DD slept but not anymore. I do not get out of the vehicle unless he's right there to see.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
a tazer does wonders if sitting on the dash....but a can of wasp spray will hit out to 50 feet and hurts more than pepper spray.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the idea of sounding the horn. Another thing to do if you have a camera phone is to snap their picture. Let them know they won't get away with it.

are12

Expert Expediter
Jenny,

I don't blame you for being scared - when we hear of all kinds of weird things that happen out here.

You didn't say but I am going to assume your doors were locked. And yes, you did the right thing by calling the police. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

If this should ever happen again, remember to sound that horn. The more attention you bring to yourself, the safer you will be.

Be safe!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As well as sounding the horn, FLASH YOU LIGHTS ON AND OFF!! If you chose to have a "TAZER" or Pepper Spray I would NOT advertise that fact that I did have them. They are illegal items in many States and Canada.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
As well as sounding the horn, FLASH YOU LIGHTS ON AND OFF!! If you chose to have a "TAZER" or Pepper Spray I would NOT advertise that fact that I did have them. They are illegal items in many States and Canada.

Not only would the legality of these two items come into question....by the time you are close enough to use them, it's probably too late. Then the next questions come in.....was he IN the van, CLOSE to the van, etc. We want to be able to protect ourselves from intruders and weirdos but we also have to be careful to protect ourselves from the laws that might ensnare us.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF someone ever came in THIS truck I would NOT hesitate to insure that that person NEVER made it to court. THEN sue their family for the clean up costs.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the advice. I didnt think about some of those things. I always keep the doors locked when I am in the van, alone or not. I have been out here with Nick for a year now, and rarely do I have problems, just lots of stares, being young doesn't always help either. Thanks for the advice!!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The most important tool you have out there is your attention. KNOW what is going on around you as much as possible. Always act confident, strong and ALWAYS be observant.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Back to the top ,(but you guys are welcome to continue your self safety thread over here ...)

So , I pulled to the booth , & blocked one lane of MassPike and one cash ,
got a car ticket.
drove through the MassPike lane .
got to the Exit booth , and got some answers from the shift supper .
apparently , this is a daily event , every morning , and they don't make a big deal of it , as long as you have A ticket.
they change the charge from a car to a truck , you pay & get a receipt ,
if you do not have A ticket , it is like you lost it , they charge you the full amount , i did not asked.
so get A ticket , any ticket.

but , they still have your plate on camera , for passing at the MassPike with no transponder ,
they say , keep the receipt , just in case , but uselessly , once the attendant is leaving his booth , he supposed to punch out , and from that point , till a new one punch in , the video is collecting at the MassPike office , and not being transfer to the outside third party collection office.
i was advised , that this collection company have their way of getting their pay , even for out of state residents, & even for first offenders .
if you do get a letter , you can always go online , pay a few dollars - that you don't owe - and get it over with , they can make your life miserable , if you choose to fight it.
toll is double taxation , so why not trippple it .

he did got a speech, tho'w , about diverting toll collected at the Mass Pike , to unlawfully pay for the big dig ,
that's when he kindly asked me to leave ...

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I think you did the right thing by calling the police. It can be weird out here sometimes. Some of these guys make you feel disgusting by the time you get back to your vehicle...lol. I usually don't do anything without my husband or where he can watch out for me. Some of these men say things, they stare, and in line get all close behind you....gross!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I think you did the right thing by calling the police. It can be weird out here sometimes. Some of these guys make you feel disgusting by the time you get back to your vehicle...lol. I usually don't do anything without my husband or where he can watch out for me. Some of these men say things, they stare, and in line get all close behind you....gross!

I have that happen pretty much on a daily basis, and its not that I dress that way to provoke it either. I stick with t shirts and tank tops, jeans, or capris. You do feel disgusting when that happens, its like you were visually violated.

wellarmed

Not a Member
It could have been as simple as another expediter or it could have been someone up to no good. If this were to happen again and the guy is wearing flowered shorts empty the can of wasp spray on him.LOL

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

Actually this does happen every day, and pretty much everytime I step foot into a truck stop. You get stares, comments, and many other things. Even if its standing in line with Nick I get stared at. Waiting an extra 30 seconds for him to come out of the bathroom it happens. I have learned to ignore it for the most part.
But really, how often is it that you see a younger woman, in her early 20's out here?

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
The Big Truck has a CB and he might have wanted to tell you something or,It could have been someone thinking you were someone else, But being safe is the most important thing. And I see where your coming from, As a driver when I flash someone to get their attention, I take that risk that they might call and I will never get angry because what they did what made them feel safe.
I have The parking lot problem alot now that I'm running solo for a while,was always taught noise saves and I like the wasp spray,but they will probably ban us from having that too.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Men are what they are, that's the way it is. Whether you're wearing t shirts and tank tops, jeans, or capris, or even a burlap bag, men are gonna look. That's what we do. If you're that uncomfortable with it, then it's probably not best to hang out at places where there are a lot of men... like, oh, I dunno, a truck stop.

On the other hand, if you hang out a lot at truck stop restaurants and observe the waitresses, you'll soon learn how easy it is to diffuse any situation and put a man in his place.

Or, you can keep in the back of your mind that the guy at the truck stop is the same one in the flatbed, and you can live your life thinking of yourself as prey and an inevitable victim. Doesn't matter whether you're in your 20's or in your 50's, you have the power to be in control.

Reactions: 1 person

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Nah'a , can't be ,
you would not being doing this job ... :

You're joking, right?

Men are what they are, that's the way it is. Whether you're wearing t shirts and tank tops, jeans, or capris, or even a burlap bag, men are gonna look. That's what we do. If you're that uncomfortable with it, then it's probably not best to hang out at places where there are a lot of men... like, oh, I dunno, a truck stop.

What a jack-*** thing to say! Is it possible for you to make any more excuses for the actions of your fellow man? If you don't know where "the line" is, maybe you're more a part of the problem than you are a part of the solution. And then to top that off..... It's HER problem because she DARES to "hang out" in a truck stop?

On the other hand, if you hang out a lot at truck stop restaurants and observe the waitresses, you'll soon learn how easy it is to diffuse any situation and put a man in his place.

Why does she even need to engage these idiots to begin with? Why can't she just EXPECT to be treated AT ALL TIMES AND IN ALL PLACES with RESPECT.....the same respect some of you idiot men would demand of one another?

Or, you can keep in the back of your mind that the guy at the truck stop is the same one in the flatbed, and you can live your life thinking of yourself as prey and an inevitable victim. Doesn't matter whether you're in your 20's or in your 50's, you have the power to be in control.

Again you imply that it's HER fault, that this really didn't happen, she's just paranoid?? Now she envisions herself as a victim because she used caution to try and protect herself? Which is it, should she see a shrink about her "victim mentality" or should she, as you say in the last line, exert her "power to be in control"?

As to the first quote....there are MANY women, who FOR YEARS, have endured this and far worse, and remained at their work place. Most have no choice. Why should SHE be the one to leave? Why is SHE expected to make the adjustment?

As for the rest of it..."boys will be boys" doesn't cut it anymore. Grow up, "it's just what we do" is unacceptable.

This is what I've witnessed in my life.....the same men that do the cat-calling, the stare downs, and the other idiotic comments, are the same ones, who when they're with their WIVES, will hardly make eye contact with another female. This is how "Johnny" acts when Mama has his testicles in her purse! Point being, it isn't that he doesn't KNOW how to act, it's that he CHOOSES to act improperly when not on Mama's leash.

Too many men just don't get it. Jenny comes in here and asks advice, and for the most part, she gets good stuff. Then comes a couple that want to victimize her all over again.....you see, this is what happens to the woman far too many times, even in this day and age. Maybe a couple of you knuckle-draggers still think that rape is the woman's fault as well?

I realize it's not safe to assume anything but I'm going to step out on a limb here and guess that the negatives are solo drivers who's wives are not with them out here on the road and have never had to watch THEIR women "deal" with what Jenny's dealing with.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking, and the point that I was trying to make.