What do you look for in a Carrier?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Over the years Expediting has changed so much. Everyone now uses cell phones instead of pagers. Trucks have bigger sleepers that way drivers can stay out in the system longer, instead of going home once a week. So with all the changes, what do look for in a Carrier? Is it rate per mile? Is it miles per week? Is it being treated more like family rather than a number? Please give your input. Thank you in advance.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Are we talking about just carrier's or owners? For me what I look for steady work, honesty, respect and at least a little more than a number.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Turtle has the number one answer/suggestion. I may have worded it different but he said it in proper terms.. Anything else could be considered whine/complaining so my number 2 answer would be; Drop the term Ready Now..It doesn't work and that's not what it means for the truck.
#3 Learn to tell time between eastern standard time and central time. :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Over the years Expediting has changed so much. Everyone now uses cell phones instead of pagers. Trucks have bigger sleepers that way drivers can stay out in the system longer, instead of going home once a week. So with all the changes, what do look for in a Carrier? Is it rate per mile? Is it miles per week? Is it being treated more like family rather than a number? Please give your input. Thank you in advance.

Precisely as Turtle said, but you asked the typical questions, so I'll answer them.
Rate per mile is important, but it's just one factor. A high rate sounds attractive, until you find the DH is high too, and uncompensated. Or the fuel surcharge is extremely low. Or dispatchers send you into places they say are great, and you sit for a week with no offers.
Everything has to be taken into account.
Miles per week is the Achilles heel for those who think 'more is better'. More wear & tear on your vehicle [and the drivers] and more time spent moving is not better, if you make the same money as someone who drives less: you're working harder to stay even.
Being "treated like family"? Whose family? Cause I have one brother who will take advantage every chance he gets, lol. I already have a family, so that's not what I want in a business relationship.
I want a carrier that is truthful, because they have nothing to misrepresent. I want a carrier that is willing to share the good stuff, and in return, I'm willing to share the not so good stuff. I want a carrier that doesn't refer to O/Os by some euphemistic 'title' in lieu of genuine respect - that's just insulting. I want a carrier that has good reason to be proud of what they do.
I want the carrier I drive for now. :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one of most important things is money is right and checks don't bounce
working as a team to get the job done
listing how to solve a problem that might come up about a load
i'm running 1,200 to 1,300 miles a week running local
we have more trucks and loads to go around

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A partnership in profitability.

Can't argue with that; tho all too often, the company is seeing to their profitability, while complaining if you are seeing to yours.

I look for honesty, number one. Once started, distrust spreads like a cold at a coughing convention. There are more than a few companies I've soured on because of blatant and needless lies.

Number two is an ability to find good-paying freight, and passing on a healthy percentage to the truck. Having that knack helps make it easier for the trucking guy or gal to take freight going to weird places, knowing there's a good chance at getting back out; or at least being profitable on the front end, so it's easier to bug out when necessary. That, to me, fits right in with Turtle's partnership.

Lastly, a company that isn't afraid of a little versatility. Liftgate, reefer, dual axles, long box, pads, straps, etc. The idea is to think outside the box, and being ready to find freight that fits the various opportunities that a truck might have.

Last edited:

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ability to operate my business as I see fit and the freedom to operate as if I were under my own authority. No if's and's or but's about any load offers. If I'm not interested that's the end of the discussion. I book my own freight and don't need any help with dispatching so that's a given anyways. Were they looking for my freight I'd most certainly be a lot more flexible on that. The right tools for me to run my business. Updating customers of equipment availability several times daily and sending incoming calls soliciting my truck to me. I don't need a lot in the way of office support but do appreciate competent support there and that's normally what I always get. Everyone is effectively communicating and working to solve problems instead of throwing their hands up in the air, another good trait of office support staff. Of course that is a two way street everyone needs to be on the same page. Give me a fair cut and do these things I will be happy. Gross rates before my cut do not require top secret security clearance nor an act of congress to find out. Just a simple email exchange. Openness is always the best policy. Oddly that's not really how it's done in this business for the most part.

Last edited: