Twic

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I went and enrolled for my twic card today by pre enrolling it took me less than 10 mins to finish up at the twic office. My feeling is it's all crap I have hazmat fast tsa and now TWIC and in all cases the TSA is the one doing the background checks you would think that after 3 tsa checks you wouldn't have to pay for another one what the heck are they going to find in the 4th check that they didn't find in the first 3. It all breaks down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ over $100 for hazmat $50 for the fast $0.00 for the tsa for airports {thank god} now another $105.25 because i wanted it to time out when my drivers lic expires making it easy to remember. So $255.25 gone to the same people for the same thing want to make a scam legal let the government run it for you. With that said because i have the hazmat and the tsa never had a fast load lol i have been #10 on a board and got out first because of a load that needed one of those items.

Saturnista

Seasoned Expediter
What I don't get is the fingerprinting over and over. Pretty sure my fingerprints don't change. Oh well. My fingerprints are on file 5 times now. Twice for TSA, once for the state of TN, and twice for the FBI. All for various security clearances.... And yet I still don't have a DoD clearance because I haven't applied for it yet. That will be soon.

Yes, it's really just all about the money. It's a complete waste really.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I got my TWIC card a little over 50 years ago. I assume you mean "The Woman In Control" card. Other people call it a marriage license. Don't remember being fingerprinted , though.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC™)
Basicly , from what I've been reading, April 14, 2009 all of the laws and safety rules to enter a port are changing and the TWIC card gains you access to the ports.

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong or if I missed anything.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC™)
Basicly , from what I've been reading, April 14, 2009 all of the laws and safety rules to enter a port are changing and the TWIC card gains you access to the ports.

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong or if I missed anything.

You are right. We have been looking into it for all of our drivers. Hope everyone is doing fine, been on the road and not on here that much. Be safe everyone.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If I understand it right in the future to haul HazMat all of us will have to have a TWIC card?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If I understand it right in the future to haul HazMat all of us will have to have a TWIC card?

I hadn't heard that. From what I've heard on Landline, is that it was an identification for port workers. All these cards are nothing more than a money maker. It would make more sense to have one identification card with misc endorsements. DOD, Hazmat etc.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I agree on the money maker part! The CAC card we have cannot be renewed and I have heard more and more DoD drivers talking about getting the TWIC card.
We have not heard anything yet about this from our carrier but just the rumor mill working away with other drivers getting the card.

Scuba why are you getting this card?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Found this complete FAQ

In the FAQ, I thought this was interesting. And it shows that this is just another money maker. Such a HUGE discount (27.25) if you've already spent the $$$ for the other endorsements.

• A reduced fee of $105.25 will be made available for applicants who will not require the security threat assessment. The reduced fee is available for the following:
    • applicants who hold a valid Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) issued after May 31, 2005,
    • applicants who hold a valid Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card,
    • applicants who hold a Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) issued after February 3, 2003, or
    • applicants who hold a Merchant Marine License (MML) issued after January 13, 2006.
    Note: For those applicants seeking to pay the reduced fee, they must present their HME, FAST card, MMD, or MML (meeting the requirements outlined above) at the time of enrollment.

• Are the background checks for a TWIC the same as the background checks conducted for an individual applying for a Hazardous Material Endorsement?
    • Yes. They have the same eligibility requirements, share a consistent waivers and appeals process and leverage the same fingerprint-based criminal history records check.

• Does someone with a Hazardous Material Endorsement (HME) have to repeat the criminal history records check (CHRC) if they are applying for a TWIC?
    • No. As a result of this, an applicant who applies for a TWIC after successfully completing the HME security threat assessment does not have to pay for a second CHRC - and the fee for the TWIC is reduced by $27.25. All TWIC applicants must pay the fees that cover the other components of the TWIC program, including enrollment and card issuance.

Reactions: 1 person

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would expect the "finger printing" again & again is to make sure your who you say you are. Not someone else with your I. D.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think Bearcat is correct, the fingerprints are to verify identity, as documents can be forged.
I'd like to get the TWIC card, [the more credentials, the better, no?] but am angry at the cost - I've already paid for Hazmat and FAST, how many more programs will we be expected to pay for? Cause I don't think TWIC will be the last of the "security requirements". :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My prints are worn out, they don't work no more. ANOTHER fee, er, tax, er fee. Nothing like have to pay a tax to work. Call it want you want. I call it a tax. I bet they all go up soon too. Anyone else getting "fee shy" ? Layoutshooter

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
From what i have heard that after the port portition of twic is done it will be expanded to airports so if you plan to pickup air freight you will need one and yes its all about the money since the tsa is the same ones doing each and every security check. I even have a letter from the tsa saying i pose no security danger to the USA.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That letter made me wonder what it would say if they hadn't cleared you? "Kindly stay right where you are until someone comes to arrest you"? :rolleyes: