Things we thought everyone knew

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If I cook any pasta while at home I make a lot extra and freeze the leftovers. This makes for a quick meal just throw a few vegetables and some meat in with the pasta and you have a meal.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
This is more like a reverse thing, I'm thinking probably everyone knew this cept me.

Sometimes I make mini sizzlers (I guess they're like little tiny breakfast sausages) and french toast for supper cuz the kids like it and it's quick.. and those d*mn minis would always stick to my non-stick pan.. we like them really well done and browned and by the time they'd get browned on each side, they'd be stuck to the pan.. nevermind the spattering..

Finally figured out if I pour the grease out a few times while they're cooking, they don't stick and they still get nice and browned.

Things our mothers never taught us. But when I think about it, mine really wasn't a very good cook :rolleyes:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ha! No..
When I was a teen I became interested, and started to see there was a whole culinary world out there..
Wasn't really til I was much older that I realized what a lousy cook she was..
And when I think about it, it seems many of the same era were also lousy cooks.
Maybe it was more a thing of 'what' they cooked, .. hmmm no.. it was definitely also 'how' and with what. You know.. the plain jane cooking..
I'm not saying that good old fashioned down home cooking isn't great, it is, but I'm not talking about that kind. I'm talking about.. put a chicken breast in the oven and bake it, boil some potatoes, heat some peas, and voila.. dinner is served :)
Man, I remember walking into the house and smelling.. OMG 'heart'!!! Who would actually EAT that?? :confused:
Ha, no wonder I was so slim when I was young :D

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
.. put a chicken breast in the oven and bake it, boil some potatoes, heat some peas, and voila.. dinner is served :)

lol My mom is that kind of cook. No talent at all when it comes to preparing meals. The best meals she made were in the summer when everything came out of the garden, all chopped up and made into a huge chef salad for dinner.

barney

Expert Expediter
Just a quick change of subject here and then you can get back to it. When is national tea bag day? I was told they had to be postmarked on April 1 and now I see it is on the 15th. Is the address 1600 Pennsylvania Ave or 1600 W Pennsylvania Ave What is the Zip?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington , D.C. 20500

Mail by April 1 to make sure it's there by April 15

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Here a save money tip. Have you ever gotten a rust stain on your clothes and that they were ruined and you needed to throw them away. Stop! Don't do that!

First, get some papertowel and lemon juice.

Put a protective cover over your liftgate,
Lay the clothes out neatly over the liftgate, rust stain facing up,
Fold papertowel so it is 6 layers thick and place it between the top side of the fabric and the bottom (inside),
Drip a little lemon juice on the stain (you don't need to use a lot),
Then just leave it in the sun to dry.

The rust stain will be absorbed into the papertowel and the clothes will live to see another day.

Throw the rust stain away with the papertowel and wash the clothes with the rest of your laundry.

Mypie

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Even the yukkiest microwave is easy to clean: put a container of water (like a measuring cup, or a bowl) in, set timer to bring water to a boil (varies by power level), then wait a few minutes after the 'ping' to let the condensation soften dried on stuff, and wipe off inside with a paper towel. :)

guido4475

Not a Member
A rubber glove does real well for getting hair off or carpet and upholstery.That is what the detailers use when cleaning a car.You can find a box of these at home depot of lowes pretty cheap.Also works great when polishing wheels or working on the truck.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob uses rubber gloves when polishing the truck but I never thought to try them on the upholstery I am going to give that a try today. Very interesting.

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter
Those Mr Clean eraser sponges work great if you have stainless steel in your Microwave
It polishes to next to new!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I wish that I had one product that would do every thing! We have limited storage and I hate using it up like this!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Housekeeping Tip from Maxine!

Always keep several "Get Well" cards on the mantel, so if unexpected guests arrive, They will think you've been sick and unable to clean the house.

Do you think this might work in the truck?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Good Housekeeping Tip from Maxine!

Always keep several "Get Well" cards on the mantel, so if unexpected guests arrive, They will think you've been sick and unable to clean the house.

Do you think this might work in the truck?
I think in the truck you have to have a fuse puller sitting next to your qualcomm and three logbooks. :p

As to the one product, do you use Totally Awesome? Glass, carpet, laundry prewash, nontoxic. Dollar stores have it.

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter
that stuff is great we use it for everything and its cheap!

"Awesome" its great on washing the car and taking off those black streaks.

Last edited:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
When boiling water in a microwave, place a toothpick or a similar non-smooth, non-metallic object in the container. Water, when microwaved, can sometimes become superheated -- that is, it's actually above 212 degrees Fahrenheit. This is caused by a lack of bubbles forming (as opposed to the tremendous number of bubbles when boiling on a stove). If superheated water is removed from a microwave, it can spontaneously begin to boil out of the container, which can result in severe burns to the hands and face. The addition of a toothpick (or similar object) helps to keep enough bubbles forming to prevent the water from becoming superheated.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
For rice or noodles to be frozen - cook to just before done then drain water and rinse well with cold water, this prevents the rice or noodles from becoming soggy and/or sticking togeather during the freezing and thawing process. Portion into containers to take in truck for quick use.

For pancakes or French toast when reheating try warming in the microwave and then finish in the toaster. Gives a more fresh taste. :)