Things we thought everyone knew

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
During a very enjoyable MATS parking lot gathering a number of things came up that brought out blank looks and slapped foreheads in the group. :eek: It was strongly suggested that we post our duhhhs, because we don't all know the same things. Since it seems I'm first to my laptop, I'll start it out.
In order to prevent onions from releasing their juices (making you cry) when cutting them, there are two simple steps. Store them in the refrigerator and cut the root end last. The root end is the wider end. It works and you won't come out of the kitchen red-eyed and sniffling. :D
Okay, now the rest of you post. You know who you are :p

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow gotta go that was sure one of those slap your head moments.

Another one of those slap your head moments was when I found out you can freeze leftover French toast and then just pop in the toaster to warm them. Add butter and syrup and you have French toast in the truck without the hassle. Next time you make too much French toast just freeze the extras and bring them on the truck with you!

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
You can also freeze leftover pancakes and pop them in the microwave for a minute or so and have fresh, hot pancakes for breakfast.

To get the smell of onions off of your hands, take a stainless steel spoon (table spoon or large serving spoon are easiest) and "scrub" your hands and fingers with the spoon under cold water. I don't know how it does it but it takes the smell away.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
To get the smell of onions off of your hands, take a stainless steel spoon (table spoon or large serving spoon are easiest) and "scrub" your hands and fingers with the spoon under cold water. I don't know how it does it but it takes the smell away.

Wow, that's one I'd never heard of, thanks.

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter
See Linda you told my secret about the french toast so now I don't have to. But if I think of any other head bangers I just might surprise you.

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ladies!
This is something you might want to know about...
Although most trucks have carpeting on the floor of the truck, I have found that a fleece dog blanket fits perfectly on the sleeper floor space.It is nice to walk on, you can shake it out everyday and wash it when needed. It can be found at discount stores in the pet department , most likely in a rolled up shape. We love it, it's so comfortable!

Linda

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good idea XTeam we solved that problem by putting in a wood floor. We have Molly and the carpet always looked horrible with pet hair now the floor is very easy to clean. I noticed in many of the sleepers on display at MATS they either had hard wood floors or linoleum floors. Do you think maybe the sleeper manufactures are finally listening to us ladies?

Some of those sleepers had awesome storage and I had to admit I fell in love with the one that had a small desk area.

One of the great things about truck shows that you cannot put a price on is the networking and the knowledge gained. We were able to learn a lot of tips to make our lives easier and to put a little more change in our pockets on down the road. I have to admit we had a lot of fun learning some of this stuff as many laughs were shared by all of us.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Hopefully Linda's sitting down because I also have a nutrition tip :). If you peel your potatoes you cut down on their nutritious value. There is vitamin c in the skin. Actually, I don't peel them because I'm lazy. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you eat a root beer Fizzies® tablet brown foam will come out of your mouth, nose and ears.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Good idea XTeam we solved that problem by putting in a wood floor. We have Molly and the carpet always looked horrible with pet hair now the floor is very easy to clean. I noticed in many of the sleepers on display at MATS they either had hard wood floors or linoleum floors. Do you think maybe the sleeper manufactures are finally listening to us ladies?

Some of those sleepers had awesome storage and I had to admit I fell in love with the one that had a small desk area.

One of the great things about truck shows that you cannot put a price on is the networking and the knowledge gained. We were able to learn a lot of tips to make our lives easier and to put a little more change in our pockets on down the road. I have to admit we had a lot of fun learning some of this stuff as many laughs were shared by all of us.

Ya, think they are listening to people. The new trucks our owner are getting has a new sleeper design, with the wood floors. Last time we had truck repairs where he buys his trucks, they had one in the lot and we went looked at, it was very nice, with more sensible storage areas. I think are getting smarter and/or actually listening to their customers.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hopefully Linda's sitting down because I also have a nutrition tip :). If you peel your potatoes you cut down on their nutritious value. There is vitamin c in the skin. Actually, I don't peel them because I'm lazy. :D

Since you clarified what you are trying to say with I don't peel them because I am lazy I feel a lot better. The nutrition tip from gotta go had me running scared.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Our sleeper has black carpet. (Black.. of all colors!) It shows every little piece of lint, crumb, hair etc, that falls. While we don't have a pet, the amount of hair that I lose on a daily basis is about the same as having one, and I still have more hair than 3 people ought to! lol. It's impossible to vacuum up the hair so I started using a pet hair lint roller with those tear off sticky sheets (available at Walmart) and it does a great job of picking up the hair.

I can't wait to get a sleeper without carpet!

barney

Expert Expediter
All these years I have been throwing out the leftover pancake batter. Boy, do I feel stupid! Should the pancakes be separated with waxed paper?

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter
Our sleeper has black carpet. (Black.. of all colors!) It shows every little piece of lint, crumb, hair etc, that falls. While we don't have a pet, the amount of hair that I lose on a daily basis is about the same as having one, and I still have more hair than 3 people ought to! lol. It's impossible to vacuum up the hair so I started using a pet hair lint roller with those tear off sticky sheets (available at Walmart) and it does a great job of picking up the hair.

I can't wait to get a sleeper without carpet!

A friend of mine went in to an RV store and bought a roll of stuff that looks like saran wrap,,but it has sticky on one side. She put it on all her carpet in RV when they went fishing so the mud could dry and be quickly swept up, it lasts along time. Might work for you , maybe not the best looking but alot easier to keep clean.

ritasroy

Seasoned Expediter
I buy the 2 or 3 gal ziplock bags. Put our dirty clothes in, then zip it almost closed , start at end and roll bag up, to push all air out , then zip closed. It keeps smelly dirty clothes contained and compressed, till laundry day.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
All these years I have been throwing out the leftover pancake batter. Boy, do I feel stupid! Should the pancakes be separated with waxed paper?

You can separate them with waxed paper if you want to, but I just usually put them into a stack of 3 and either put them into a zip lock bag or wrap them up in plastic wrap. You will want to let the pancakes sit on the counter after cooking to let them cool completely before freezing or they will develop a lot of ice crystals.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
A friend of mine went in to an RV store and bought a roll of stuff that looks like saran wrap,,but it has sticky on one side. She put it on all her carpet in RV when they went fishing so the mud could dry and be quickly swept up, it lasts along time. Might work for you , maybe not the best looking but alot easier to keep clean.

Thanks for the information! I'll look into that. :)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Ritasroy...the zip lock bag idea is a great one!:)

Our truck has carpet and we hated it so....we went to Lowes bought some backerboard and stick on floor tiles. Measured, cut the backerboard to fit the sleeper floor and put it in place. Then put the stick on floor tiles on the backerboard. It took a little work, but we don't have to worry about the carpet looking so bad and it's much easier to keep clean now. Of course then we put throw rugs down on the tile to keep our feet from freezing in the winter. LOL