The Garden Corner

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'm thinking of making tomato sauce...it can be made into so many things when I've got the time....any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...:)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Could you do sun dried or fire roasted tomatoes, then freeze them? [or 'can' in olive oil? :confused: They'd make some great sammiches, with [turkey] Italian sausages & bell pepper.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Cheri....sounds like a lotta labor involved with that...just got my sauce on to simmer...10 lbs of tomatoes for 2 pints of sauce.

Greg...Ken said he'd like some salsa so guess I'll look for a recipe for that one.

Just got my Cuisinart hand blender so am gonna try that out before I put the sauce thru a strainer..right now I'm thinking anything to do with tomatoes is labor indusive. Pickles on the other hand are easy..*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
oh you all just have to try this..just went out and picked 2 crookneck squash...washed and sliced and put into microwaveable bowl.

Cook for 2 minutes, then add 1 slice of american sliced cheese on top for another 30 seconds. salt and pepper to taste and it's just sooooooo good.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
And my tomato sauce should be coming out of the canner in about ten minutes..long process from start to finish..but the recipe actually made about 5 pints..

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I made this soup and it was pretty good...I did add some heavy cream at the end.

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

Ingredients
  • 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 onion diced
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
Directions

1. In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. Discard any stuff left over in the food mill.
  2. In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
the day's tally...3 more quarts of canned tomatoes and picked a couple of boxes to ripen inside.

Cheri...the cherry tomatoes are overflowing the garden....hint hint!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's starting to get cold so am picking green tomatoes to ripen inside...so far this morning 2 huge boxes of them and a dishpan full of summer squash. Had some acorn squash yesterday baked at 325 for an hour and a half with just butter, salt and pepper that was really good.

Gave away a bunch of stuff yesterday, but need to go clean up some more cukes and think I'll have enough to pickle some more. Then if I'm still standing I'll dig some leeks and potatoes and make some more of that great soup!:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's starting to get cold so am picking green tomatoes to ripen inside...so far this morning 2 huge boxes of them and a dishpan full of summer squash. Had some acorn squash yesterday baked at 325 for an hour and a half with just butter, salt and pepper that was really good.

Gave away a bunch of stuff yesterday, but need to go clean up some more cukes and think I'll have enough to pickle some more. Then if I'm still standing I'll dig some leeks and potatoes and make some more of that great soup!:)
oh..on my way...*lol*..love that soup...yum.....

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
and the day's tally is.....drum roll please!!!

6 quarts of pickles
9 bags of shredded squash

and a huge pot of potato leek soup! That is extremely satisfying..:)

And looks like I'll have enough banana and jalapeno peppers to put up a few more pints...gave my cousins a jar and they begged for more.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
They say the frost is coming soon so here's a few tips to preserve your garden even longer. WATER!!! When the water freezes it produces heat in the plant and protects it.

And cover up with blankets or tarps when it's supposed to freeze and make sure you take that off around 10 the next morning or the heat can kill your plants.

That's according the the garden news anyway..I'll probably just let it go, because I've got enough.:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Well as long as John is keeping the hubby busy, I've got more time to can. Just putting up 6 quarts of tomatoes and am gonna go pull my peppers to process too!:)

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
now if you could just figure out how to grow "meat" ya'll would be set for winter.. mmm have my mouth watering for all those canned goods.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
and I'll probably be hearing sleet on the roof tonight...it's been snowing in Dickinson, ND all day. Rita girl..if you're ever close by stop in and I'd be happy to share!:)