The Garden Corner

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Am just having my first tomato sandwich...an heirloom with the Duke's mayo on white potato bread..but I think I prefer miracle whip......oh what's the word...

YUM!!!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's cool here this morning..I do believe our fall is here. Got all the corn stalks yanked out of the garden and now I'll be able to concentrate on the yukon gold potatoes soon. And pulled about ten heirloom and beefsteak tomatoes yesterday..think I'll be canning them soon. What I don't eat or give away that is.....

I did plant a few more french breakfast radishes and they're up..It'll be a race to see what comes first...the radishes or the frost..*l*

So what I've got left in my garden is the summer squash, winter squash, tomatoes, herbs, banana peppers, jualapeno peppers, leeks, cukes. dill and the potatoes. It's been a very productive year and my freezer is full and my basement shelves are groaning under the weight of all those pickles and other things.

I have to say it's been my best garden ever and have enjoyed it so very much...yep...even pulling weeds is therapeutic!:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bring on the bad economy..we are all set...Thanks hon...:D

who needs a government, when you have yourself reliance...

stick it Feds....:p

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
You're very welcome my dear...Sure am glad you bring home the beef though...we're not complete vegetarians...*l*
Now if I plant carrots next year you can have pot roast whenever you want!!

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Am just having my first tomato sandwich...an heirloom with the Duke's mayo on white potato bread..but I think I prefer miracle whip......oh what's the word...

YUM!!!

Miracle Whip, instead of Duke's? Heresy! Blasphemy!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Finally got all the onions in and cleaned and put in a cardboard box with newspaper..between the red and the white I might have half a bushel. And we got about 6/10 of an inch of rain yesterday which should be good for more pickles and tomatoes!:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'm gonna make some hot pickled peppers...think I might have enough jalapenos and banana peppers to make a few pints...so it's off to the muddy garden to do some picking.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
and it's done...wound up with 5 pints of pickled hot peppers...talk about messy with all the seeds..

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I am wondering if anyone cooks with coriander? My cilantro went to seed and am thinking of drying the seed. It's got an unusual scent to it so will be looking for ways to use it..good thing I know how to use a search engine eh? *l*

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
It's cool here this morning..I do believe our fall is here. Got all the corn stalks yanked out of the garden and now I'll be able to concentrate on the yukon gold potatoes soon. And pulled about ten heirloom and beefsteak tomatoes yesterday..think I'll be canning them soon. What I don't eat or give away that is.....

I did plant a few more french breakfast radishes and they're up..It'll be a race to see what comes first...the radishes or the frost..*l*

So what I've got left in my garden is the summer squash, winter squash, tomatoes, herbs, banana peppers, jualapeno peppers, leeks, cukes. dill and the potatoes. It's been a very productive year and my freezer is full and my basement shelves are groaning under the weight of all those pickles and other things.

I have to say it's been my best garden ever and have enjoyed it so very much...yep...even pulling weeds is therapeutic!:)

Oh how I would love to stay at home and have a garden again. I haven't had fresh veggies from a garden since my husband asked me if I wanted to learn how to drive a truck.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Hey girl...good to "see" you again! Gardening is a lotta work but it's more of a labor of love. I'm chopping up my fresh herbs today...so far parsley and sage and saved some coriander seeds. Still have the chives to do. I pulled a box of squash this morning that I'll take up to my Mom's nursing home tomorrow and got another 6 quarts of pickles put up.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Juju, do you eat the chive blossoms? If not, try them in a salad - they have a nice zippy flavor, like radishes. Carnation petals & nasturtiums are good too!:)